Saints Expected to Place 1st rd tender on RFA Taysom Hill (1 Viewer)

I wonder if a team with multiple 1st round selections, like Miami, is allowed to decide which 1st round pick to offer.
I think it would be that team’s original pick and not any others they have acquired through trades...etc. I could not imagine the league having it any other way.

The fact that some people don't realize that Free Agency and the draft include a lot of deception is concerning. This past year we had at least 2-3 guys at WR that were camp beast but never made the team. I'll be the first to I was wrong if some one seeks to make him their starting QB come May but I we'll all know in a of couple of months.

This is correct. Unless they acquire a pick that is higher than their original pick, which can then be used to sign a RFA. In other words they can trade away their original pick, but then acquire another pick that was higher than that to use on a RFA.

What if a team had already traded that (original/earned) pick before making a claim?

What if a team had already traded that (original/earned) pick before making a claim?

They have to have a 1st round pick in hand before they are allowed to sign an offer to player with a 1st round tender. And the pick has to be higher than the pick they previously traded away.

For example, if the Steelers wanted to sign T. Hill (presuming he’s a 1st round tender) to an offer, they would first have to acquire pick #18 or better. This is because they traded their pick to the Dolphins for Minkah Fitzpatrick.

Last edited:
They have to have a 1st round pick in hand before they are allowed to sign an offer to player with a 1st round tender. And the pick has to be higher than the pick they previously traded away.

For example, if the Steelers wanted to sign T. Hill (presuming he’s a 1st round tender) to an offer, they would first have to acquire pick #18 or better. This is because they traded their pick to the Dolphins for Minkah Fitzpatrick.

Makes sense. But what if it's a team like this year's Dolphins with more than one pick in that round. Is it automatically their highest?

Makes sense. But what if it's a team like this year's Dolphins with more than one pick in that round. Is it automatically their highest?

In the Dolphins case, it would be their highest pick because that would be the pick they earned with their w/l record.

Some team would give him 10 million-12 million
Dolphins or Raiders giving up there first to acquire him and still have a vet backing him up it would be funny to see Teddy and Hill end up in Miami!! Think about it they have the picks and the money they have their WR in Devante Paker whom is Teddys old go to guy in college as their #1 WR they just broke the bank behind.

A situation were they pick up A.Ekeler or Kareem Hunt and pair them with a power back would be a nice start to fixing their offense

Some team would give him 10 million-12 million
Dolphins or Raiders giving up there first to acquire him and still have a vet backing him up it would be funny to see Teddy and Hill end up in Miami!! Think about it they have the picks and the money they have their WR in Devante Paker whom is Teddys old go to guy in college as their #1 WR they just broke the bank behind.
The Dolphins would have to give up the 5th overall pick (their own initial draft slot) and the Raiders would have to give up the 12th overall pick. Neither of those things is happening, although no one here should/would be apoplectic if either team were to make such a move, especially Miami at #5.

I think it would be that team’s original pick and not any others they have acquired through trades...etc. I could not imagine the league having it any other way.

Imagine. There is nothing in the collective-bargaining-agreement-2011-2020 that appears to dictate which 1st round pick for a team with multiple. It simply says "One First/Second Round Draft Selection"

Section 2. Restricted Free Agents:
(a) Definition. Any Veteran player with three Accrued Seasons, but less than four Accrued Seasons shall, at the expiration of his last Player Contract during such period, become a Restricted Free Agent. Any such player shall be completely free to negotiate and sign a Player Contract with any Club, and any Club shall be completely free to negotiate and sign a Player Contract with any such player, subject to the restrictions set forth in this Article.
(b) Qualifying Offers.
(i) In order to receive the following specified Rights of First Refusal and/or Draft Choice Compensation with respect to a Restricted Free Agent, the Prior Club of a Restricted Free Agent must tender the player a Qualifying Offer on or before the first date of the Restricted Free Agent Signing Period, as follows (all amounts applicable for the 2011 League Year only):

(1) Right of First Refusal Only

(2) : one year Player Contract with Paragraph 5 Salary of at least $1,200,000; Right of First Refusal and Draft Selection at Player’s Original Draft Round

(3) : one year Player Contract with a Paragraph 5 Salary of at least
(a) the amount set forth in Subsection (b)(i)(1) above, or​
(b) 110% of the player’s prior year’s Paragraph 5 Salary, whichever is greater; in addition, if option (b) applies, all other terms of the player’s prior year contract are carried forward unchanged (this Subsection is subject to the rules of Subsection (c) below); Right of First Refusal, One Second Round Draft Selection

(4) : one year Player Contract with a Paragraph 5 Salary of at least
(a) $1,835,000, or​
(b) 110% of the player’s prior year’s Paragraph 5 Salary, whichever is greater; in addition, if option (b) applies, all other terms of the player’s prior year contract are carried forward unchanged; and Right of First Refusal and One First Round Draft Selection
(ii) Beginning in the 2012 League Year, the dollar amounts specified in Subsection (i) above shall increase annually by the percentage increase (if any) in the Salary : one year Player Contract with a Paragraph 5 Salary of at least (a) $2,611,000, or (b) 110% of the player’s prior year’s Paragraph 5 Salary, whichever is greater; in addition, if option (b) applies, all other terms of the player’s prior year contract are carried forward unchanged.

In the Dolphins case, it would be their highest pick because that would be the pick they earned with their w/l record.

CBA only says "ONE" first or second round pick. Nothing is said about which pick specifically. In fact a team with a early first round should be free to trade players or whatever for a late pick and use that to buy a RFA.

The dolphins are nicely placed to go shopping for Taysom. A 3 year $40 million front loaded with $15 million in the first year would probably put him out of reach for the cap limited Saints.

If and I agree it is still an if, offers for Taysom start going north of $10M per year then throwing in a late 1st round pick means less and less to the offering team. Giving up a 1st round for a $5M player is tough to swallow but not as much for a Team tis willing to offer $12M plus.

I can foresee a narrow chance the Saints will lose all three and have to scramble in the free agent market for a QB

You can read the CBA for yourself here

CBA only says "ONE" first or second round pick. Nothing is said about which pick specifically. In fact a team with a early first round should be free to trade players or whatever for a late pick and use that to buy a RFA.

The dolphins are nicely placed to go shopping for Taysom. A 3 year $40 million front loaded with $15 million in the first year would probably put him out of reach for the cap limited Saints.

If and I agree it is still an if, offers for Taysom start going north of $10M per year then throwing in a late 1st round pick means less and less to the offering team. Giving up a 1st round for a $5M player is tough to swallow but not as much for a Team tis willing to offer $12M plus.

I can foresee a narrow chance the Saints will lose all three and have to scramble in the free agent market for a QB

You can read the CBA for yourself here

It actually does mention which picks, that being original pick or better, in Article 9, section 3c.

20200211_051518.jpg

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom