Saints Expected to Place 1st rd tender on RFA Taysom Hill (1 Viewer)

It actually does mention which picks, that being original pick or better, in Article 9, section 3c.

20200211_051518.jpg

I saw that but read the sentence just prior to the part you highlighted. The blue section is only stating the necessary qualifications for signing a tender offer. A lawyerly reading would place the section 2's wording superior to the part you highlighted. Section 2 say "One" 1st round pick with no restriction or qualifier on which "One".

The part in Blue seems to say that you can not make an offer unless you possess your original draft pick or one better. I does not address the Miami situation where they meet that qualification and also possess a much later pick.

It may be applied as you say in practice but I not sure Miami would lose if they tried to press the issue in court.

At the very least the document is overly complex and poorly drafted. Looks more like the IRS wrote it than private industry.

I think the First Round tender was likely from the start. Hill just about guaranteed it with his comments to want to be a Starter. Saints would be foolish to go less than First.

A lot of scenarios to play out, but this can already be put out on the table in my opinion. (not sure if can be officially declared or not)

If a team is willing to put first round pick on him, great...Saints now have a lot of flexibility with that. And that’s a great problem to have.

Last edited:
One other thing I hadn’t thought about till just now...

Say Brees “states” retires, and say that another team outbids on Teddy, and another takes Hill with first round tender....Saints thinking they could trade up capital for their QB...but can’t get it done.

An Armageddon scenario, where we lose Hill and Bridgewater, but still end up with some draft capital, and probably more cap.

Brees ain’t going to another team...in absence of a true #1, I suspect that Loomis and Payton could talk Brees out of retirement for one more year.

One other thing I hadn’t thought about till just now...

Say Brees “states” retires, and say that another team outbids on Teddy, and another takes Hill with first round tender....Saints thinking they could trade up capital for their QB...but can’t get it done.

An Armageddon scenario, where we lose Hill and Bridgewater, but still end up with some draft capital, and probably more cap.

Brees ain’t going to another team...in absence of a true #1, I suspect that Loomis and Payton could talk Brees out of retirement for one more year.

If Brees retires, the Saints will do whatever it takes to keep Bridgewater. And Teddy is going to be very very unlikely to leave if he gets the starter spot (or a lip service "QB competition" with Taysom, which anyone who knows how football works knows how it will end). Some team would have to outbid the Saints to the tune of something ridiculous, because Bridgewater clearly loves New Orleans.

There is close to a zero percent chance that we don't go into next season with either Brees or Bridgewater settled into the starting role. The Saints are built to win now, they aren't going to use next year to develop a rookie QB.

Last edited:
I saw that but read the sentence just prior to the part you highlighted. The blue section is only stating the necessary qualifications for signing a tender offer. A lawyerly reading would place the section 2's wording superior to the part you highlighted. Section 2 say "One" 1st round pick with no restriction or qualifier on which "One".

The part in Blue seems to say that you can not make an offer unless you possess your original draft pick or one better. I does not address the Miami situation where they meet that qualification and also possess a much later pick.

It may be applied as you say in practice but I not sure Miami would lose if they tried to press the issue in court.

At the very least the document is overly complex and poorly drafted. Looks more like the IRS wrote it than private industry.

If the requirement to sign an RFA with a 1st round tender to an offer sheet is that the club must have their original 1st round pick or better, then any lesser 1st round pick, as in the case of Miami, is irrelevant. Allowing a team to spend a lesser pick by sole virtue that they still possessed their original pick would be a subversion of the above requirement to even attempt to sign the RFA. That seems quite clear to me in the CBA.

If the requirement to sign an RFA with a 1st round tender to an offer sheet is that the club must have their original 1st round pick or better, then any lesser 1st round pick, as in the case of Miami, is irrelevant. Allowing a team to spend a lesser pick by sole virtue that they still possessed their original pick would be a subversion of the above requirement to even attempt to sign the RFA. That seems quite clear to me in the CBA.

I am not arguing what the original intent was or even how the NFL actually practices. Just the contract wording.

The contract clearly stated the "COMPENSATION" is a dictated in section 2 which only says "ONE" 1st round pic with no reference to which one.

The part is blue reads as a precondition to making an offer.

I agree with you that is makes no sense if it wasn't also meant to qualify which pick must be offered in compensation. Unfortunately it applies no such qualification on the actual compensation pic. No sense and poorly drafted.

Someone is doing a great job for Taysoms next contract and I am not sure if it is his agent or the saints. My guess is that Taysom saying he will leave for a starting QB job is a lot of positioning talk by his agent. He has no legitimate experience as a starting NFL QB for a team to say this is out franchise QB going forward so I do not see any team making him that offer/promise.

If a team is highly interested in TH in free agency it will be for his ability to play multiple positions like the saints have done. That is his real value to any team.

Payton loves TH because he is Brees Jr. when it comes to a natural leader and competitor and he can play, but with all the talk lately I am beginning to wonder if the saints are trying to get a team to give them a #1 for TH. No player except your proven franchise QB is invaluable and we have seen the saints let players leave that were team all stars and the team simply moves forward and rarely misses a beat afterwards. TH is a very nice player to have but if he is expecting starting QB money then he is no longer that attractive a weapon for me.

The Dolphins would have to give up the 5th overall pick (their own initial draft slot) and the Raiders would have to give up the 12th overall pick. Neither of those things is happening, although no one here should/would be apoplectic if either team were to make such a move, especially Miami at #5.
If we throw in another player or draft pick you never know what could happen we have some moveable players.

Saints are only putting that 1st round tender on him because they know that the Bengals will sign Taysom - we won't match... and we can get the #1 overall pick from them to draft Burreaux....

giphy.gif
IF THAT is the case? I'm fairly certain NO TEAM will make that trade since that 1st Rounder is a substantial # no matter how thin they may be at QB or wherever you plan on plugging Taysom in. He's good at several positions but he truly shines as a Rushing QB and puts his best effort when he's rushing the ball and throws on the run as if the ball was laser guided!! This dude plays ball in way Michael Jordan played basketball! Like a Boss and as if he were born to play the game. He needs to remain a SAINT for the next decade or more IMHO! Keep Taysom and if anyone were that desperate? Let 'em bid on Teddy's services and he can become anyone he choses, Taysom offers us just too many options we can use through Coach's unique way he plays his players and the significance of what a player such as Hill will do for the rest of our TEAM,, Harris is one heck of a return man , Cook is an outstanding TE and on and on it goes with our talent levels and we could us stronger play from our back end of our Defense and someone else dangerous such as Cam Jordan to increase better play from our "D" -Line!

IF THAT is the case? I'm fairly certain NO TEAM will make that trade since that 1st Rounder is a substantial # no matter how thin they may be at QB or wherever you plan on plugging Taysom in. He's good at several positions but he truly shines as a Rushing QB and puts his best effort when he's rushing the ball and throws on the run as if the ball was laser guided!! This dude plays ball in way Michael Jordan played basketball! Like a Boss and as if he were born to play the game. He needs to remain a SAINT for the next decade or more IMHO! Keep Taysom and if anyone were that desperate? Let 'em bid on Teddy's services and he can become anyone he choses, Taysom offers us just too many options we can use through Coach's unique way he plays his players and the significance of what a player such as Hill will do for the rest of our TEAM,, Harris is one heck of a return man , Cook is an outstanding TE and on and on it goes with our talent levels and we could us stronger play from our back end of our Defense and someone else dangerous such as Cam Jordan to increase better play from our "D" -Line!
I think you missed his sarcasm.

Would we get a first rounder this year or next year if saints don’t match an offer sheet?

We need the Taysom Hill hype to stop because there is a very real possibility that Brees comes back for a year, but a team in the 20s decides to make a play for Hill at over $10 Mill/yr like NE. Then we'd really be screwed.

We couldn't pay all 3 in that scenario. I think the Saints will tell Brees that we'd love to have him back but it can't be at top $$ or even Top 10 because we have to keep TB or TH. And the role for Brees would be diminished to help prepare the new starter for life after Brees.

I'm really hoping we can keep Hill and Brees for next year.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom