Saints eyeing WR Bryan Edwards (1 Viewer)

Or maybe some of us pay closer attention to the whole league than others and aren’t blind loyalists for every single player the team happens to bring in.

You want evidence or reason? How about doing a simple google search and reading up on players, or, I don’t know, watching the games of other teams.
Once again an attack on the post without one bit of information as to why

Once again an attack on the post without one bit of information as to why

An “attack on the post?” lol

What exactly is different from my post than yours other than me not choosing to wear black and gold glasses on this player?

Not a bit of information as to why? How about the fact that this guy is going on his fourth team in three years.

Laughable reasoning. My “attack” or “not one bit of information as to why” is no different than yours.

It’s okay to trash TreQuan Smith on this board, but dare suggest that a former Raiders draft bust that’s going on his fourth team in three years and who was cut by two different teams in the final month or so of the season isn’t what it’s going to take to knock him off the roster (if that’s the hope), and the pitch forks come out.

I don’t get it.

I will not apologize for my stance. I simply just don’t think ransacking a bottom feeder team’s draft bust inventory that’s been shunned by the rest of the league is going to make us a better team. We can do better than this, even for bottom of the depth chart fodder.

Looking at the available WR's not yet signed, Chark is the top of the list. He's still young (26) and has had recent NFL success.

The available WR list is littered with older guys, which isn't necessarily exciting to me.

Olamide Zaccheaus is available. He's only 25 years old and caught 94 passes for 8 TDs, averaging 14.1 yards per grab. He did that on terrible Falcons teams in a secondary role. He's only 5-8 but weighs in at 193. The former track athlete plays out of the slot and can break off big plays. The knock on him coming out of college was bad hands. Not sure how that panned out in his 4 years in the NFL, but the guy certainly has had some big NFL plays. He'd probably be a cheap addition to the roster too.

Chark is the guy I want. He has size, speed and can play all WR spots. The Saints favor flexibility too. Just saying.
I’ve always thought Olamide was a sneaky receiver. Would be a sneaky good signing with our WR room we have now, and we’d have a chance to stick it to the falcons lol. I don’t think they hate him as a player at all.

I’ll just leave this here.

Attachments

• A7799482-A26D-4D78-B14A-4836DB71B0E7.jpeg
    A7799482-A26D-4D78-B14A-4836DB71B0E7.jpeg
    473.9 KB · Views: 49
  • 9A3BA8CA-6398-4ADB-8E73-D62AC92BC972.jpeg
    9A3BA8CA-6398-4ADB-8E73-D62AC92BC972.jpeg
    426.9 KB · Views: 50
I’ll just leave this here.
Majority listed are STers, near retirement and have been oft-released bouncing around teams like Edwards. He was already cut so I’m not surprised that he isn’t listed.

What about Edwards’ actual game on the field that you don’t like? Does he drop passes? Does he not get open? Is he slow to you? Because he’s the opposite of all of those when he played with Carr. We’re interested in him as a 4th WR, as a familiar target to Carr

Majority listed are STers, near retirement and have been oft-released bouncing around teams like Edwards. He was already cut so I’m not surprised that he isn’t listed.

What about Edwards’ actual game on the field that you don’t like? Does he drop passes? Does he not get open? Is he slow to you? Because he’s the opposite of all of those when he played with Carr. We’re interested in him as a 4th WR, as a familiar target to Carr

Drops, doesn’t get open often, was traded to Atlanta on the cheap, who as a receiver-needy team, cut him towards the end of the year, let go by the Chiefs after a few short weeks on the practice squad, extremely inconsistent.

You know, basically all the reasons why most receivers don’t hang around and why three other teams (two bad, one great) moved on from him in a matter of months/weeks.

At this point, I just don’t see why some posters here are now standing on a mountain for Bryan friggin’ Edwards other than being offended by a poster not wanting to wear black and gold glasses on a player we are merely looking into. 🤣

So is this what SR has become? Any player the Saints bring in or are interested in, we are going to be “attacked” or treated like a villain if we don’t show excitement for them, don’t express blind loyalty to them, or point out the flaw with our player acquisition approach of signing former busts of a bottom of the barrel franchise to help improve our team?

My concerns would be that he has never contributed on special teams. Typically, it would be nice for a player that far down the depth chart to contribute there.

The fact that he couldn't get on the field for Arthur Smith's offense makes me at least question his ability to block in the run game. Again, something you'd like in a depth player.

Frankly, not going to get too invested either way.

"Atlanta acquired Edwards after a season that saw him finish the year with 571-receiving yards and catching three touchdowns in an impressive season. The Raiders had too many options at the position and decided to move on from a player that would be their fifth option."

So he had a bad season on a bad team, after a decent season on a decent team.

"Edwards has all the tools to be a great NFL wide receiver. He’s got sticky hands and great size at 6-foot-3. He was supposed to be unstoppable when it came to jump balls. He doesn’t have great speed as he ran a 4.53 40-yard dash but that’s not a terrible number. In fact, it’s faster than the 4.56 40-yard dash that Davante Adams ran coming into the NFL."

Sounds like a lot of upside with very little to lose if he works out.

Drops, doesn’t get open often, was traded to Atlanta on the cheap, who as a receiver-needy team, cut him towards the end of the year, let go by the Chiefs after a few short weeks on the practice squad, extremely inconsistent.

You know, basically all the reasons why most receivers don’t hang around and why three other teams (two bad, one great) moved on from him in a matter of months/weeks.

At this point, I just don’t see why some posters here are now standing on a mountain for Bryan friggin’ Edwards other than being offended by a poster not wanting to wear black and gold glasses on a player we are merely looking into. 🤣

So is this what SR has become? Any player the Saints bring in or are interested in, we are going to be “attacked” or treated like a villain if we don’t show excitement for them, don’t express blind loyalty to them, or point out the flaw with our player acquisition approach of signing former busts of a bottom of the barrel franchise to help improve our team?

He only has one career drop. He caught 11 of 15 targets in 2020. Caught 10 of 19 contested targets with Carr. About a 60% catch rate on average depth of target at 14+ yards. His average separation per target was 1.9 yards which was comparable to Tee Higgins and Allen Robinson. Majority of his career receptions are first downs.

I don’t see any stats that suggests that he drops or can’t separate. His numbers shows the opposite.

Released by two teams is fair. Even though he’s only 24 years old, and Atlanta new coaches doesn’t know how to use their WRs and barely used all of them. Chiefs WR room was way too crowded for that short in season stint to mean much.

It’s just an interesting pushback for a low-investing physical WR4 option who has chemistry with our QB. It was based on being released twice by bad fit teams, but not by his play as a WR statistically especially with Carr.

Most FA WRs available are aging vets and vet minimum, bottom depth chart WRs looking for roles on teams.

"Atlanta acquired Edwards after a season that saw him finish the year with 571-receiving yards and catching three touchdowns in an impressive season. The Raiders had too many options at the position and decided to move on from a player that would be their fifth option."

So he had a bad season on a bad team, after a decent season on a decent team.

"Edwards has all the tools to be a great NFL wide receiver. He’s got sticky hands and great size at 6-foot-3. He was supposed to be unstoppable when it came to jump balls. He doesn’t have great speed as he ran a 4.53 40-yard dash but that’s not a terrible number. In fact, it’s faster than the 4.56 40-yard dash that Davante Adams ran coming into the NFL."

Sounds like a lot of upside with very little to lose if he works out.

Understood.

All I am saying is that there is a reason teams keep moving on from him, including a team led by our former director of pro personnel during our most recent best seasons.

But hopefully the light bulb comes on for him here if we get him and he contributes.

Attachments

• 7DE48C7C-9EE7-420B-8E63-318728F13096.jpeg
    7DE48C7C-9EE7-420B-8E63-318728F13096.jpeg
    161.4 KB · Views: 38

I totally get where you're coming from. I saw it happen in the Johnathan Abram thread as well. If you express doubts or concern about a signing or potential signing you are raining on the parade! You're a Debbie Downer or just a straight up hater lol.

I think the disconnect is that a lot of reasonable people see moves like this as a low risk, all upside situation. If they bring in players like Abram or Edwards who have not been very good with other teams turn out to be not very good for the Saints, oh well. Swing and a miss. But you're never going to get a hit if you don't swing. I'd like to see them swing at some better pitches but who am I? Michael Scott sums it up better than I ever could...

Screen-Shot-2022-05-06-at-12.00.23-PM.png

Last edited:
He only has one career drop. He caught 11 of 15 targets in 2020. Caught 10 of 19 contested targets with Carr. About a 60% catch rate on average depth of target at 14+ yards. His average separation per target was 1.9 yards which was comparable to Tee Higgins and Allen Robinson. Majority of his career receptions are first downs.

I don’t see any stats that suggests that he drops or can’t separate. His numbers shows the opposite.

Released by two teams is fair. Even though he’s only 24 years old, and Atlanta new coaches doesn’t know how to use their WRs and barely used all of them. Chiefs WR room was way too crowded for that short in season stint to mean much.

It’s just an interesting pushback for a low-investing physical WR4 option who has chemistry with our QB. It was based on being released twice by bad fit teams, but not by his play as a WR statistically especially with Carr.

Most FA WRs available are aging vets and vet minimum, bottom depth chart WRs looking for roles on teams.

You conveniently left out the part where he caught only 34 of 56 targets during his best season.

Why is it a “pushback” simply when I am saying a guy that keeps getting cut everywhere may not be what we need to improve ourselves, but not a pushback when all you’re going off is PFF stats and an apparent blind loyalty to the Saints organization?

At this point, I am merely responding to questions, but since you don’t like the position, it’s “pushback” or, as someone else put it, I am “attacking.” 🤣

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom