Saints Fans, could use your help for Mike Hass! (1 Viewer)

ringdesigner

Reaction score
It is absolutely terrific how ell your Saints are doing. The entire country is excited and pleased for your team, you fans and especially your city after all you have been through!! Congratualtions!!!!!!!! Great to see.

Some of you may remember our posts regarding Mike Hass. He seemed to be liked on this New Orleans Saints forum for his hard work and gutsy atttude. But the fans in Chicago have never seen any of that.

May be weird request, but from getting to know some of you on this forum, you seem to like to see the underdog get a shot. And Mike is just that.

Mike Hass is now on the Bears practice squad. They have an opening due to injury, but from afar, the bears fans did not see any of what you folks did as to Mike's play in the preseason. And all the old posts saying all of that, are down off your New Orleans Saints forum due to age.

I just added some info in a post on a Bear's forum. And I am getting hit with questions like, if he was any good, why did the Saints cut him?

You folks watched what happened. Any chance some of you posting on their Bears forum as a visitor and letting them know what you saw?

Nice to be able to give a nice kid a break.

Here is the link:
http://boards.chicagobears.com/forums/thread/146340.aspx

Chicago Bears Message Boards »
Chicago Bears Message Board »
Bears Football »
Re: Disaster Plan B: Griese the skid

Thank you Warmest regards,

God bless New Orleans and all you folks!

Greg and Patti Gates
Lake Oswego, Oregon

Jake

Banned
Reaction score
great hands but not fast or anything. Grossman could use some short route guys (or so i think...i've only seen a couple bears games)

Colin311

I want 5 of your years!
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
It was between Hass and Colston to make the team. And, well, you see where Colston is. Hass is good but has problems getting seperation.

shrike3000

Holding Out of TC
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Hass will make a great possession receiver for someone. Our problem was that we had Colston and Horn already making it on the team, so we have that covered. Our need was for speed and Special Teams, both which are weaknesses for Hass.

neworleanshoo

hoodat
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I was a big Hass fan and not ashamed to admit it. He catches EVERYTHING.

I think Payton was hoping to keep him on the practice squad and was probably very disappointed to see him opt for the bears squad instead.

Hass' big problem, obviously, is speed

mrdogleg

All-Pro
Reaction score
Hass is a beast. Cant blame a guy for getting beat out by Colston, the majority of #1 wide receivers in the league would have the same problem.

Hass was cut was because we were stacked at wide receiver and not because he couldn't perform.

Go Beavs

syracuse saint

Hall-of-Famer
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
We had a log-jam at WR coming into the cuts and someone had to go. I think that he will be a good pro and has been mentioned as a "steve largent" type.

BullDawg

Gone but will never forgotten. R.I.P. Nate
Reaction score
Kinda off subject, but do you have a wyrdawg that visits your boards ringdesigner?

cruize

Account closed at user request
Reaction score
Colston, Henderson, and Hass would have made a solid, young trio.

OP

ringdesigner

Reaction score
Folks give the kid a break. If I remember right, you folks said this kid did really well in your preseason practices as well as in the first two games. Then he just went away.

Who can you talk about speed and seperation, when he only got a shot in the first two preseason games and did pretty well if we remember.

Coulson is doing tremedous. We here in the NW are posting for him as rookie of the year! And we are always behind your city for what you folks have been through.

Just posted this on the Bears forum when asked why did they let him go?:

According to their Saints forums and the Saint's ESPN radio source, Mike was super in the preseason games he played in. They said they would keep Coulson on the active roster (great idea), and they would put Mike on the practice squad. But I think Mike's agent thought he got a raw deal. Apparently he missed a rookie camp as he was still in school for his nuclear engineering degree, and the NCAA squad he could not go for the long weekend since school was still in session. If he did not stay, he would not graduate. Apparently the head coach was not a happy camper over that. And he never forgave him for that. Hard to believe it, but if you are on a bubble, I guess it could.

He did great in the first two preseason games making a couple of catches in traffic, taking a vicious hit, and never dropping the ball. But then he disappeared, and there was speculation that he was being "hidden" so he would not be picked up on waivers and they would keep him. Don't understand that, but that is what they said on the forum. The radio guys published an article prior to the last preseason game saying Mike would be one of the 6 WRs on the active roster. Of course that did not happen.

Anyway, I just posted (11/07/06) on the NO Saints forum. I asked them to come on up to let you know what they saw.

I am biased admittedly in Mike Hass' favor. But they are not. So let's see if any of them take the time to come on up here to this forum and give you their two cents.

Isn't technology fantastic!

Warmest regards,

Greg and Patti Gates
Lake Oswego Oregon

shrike3000

Holding Out of TC
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Folks give the kid a break. If I remember right, you folks said this kid did really well in your preseason practices as well as in the first two games. Then he just went away.

Who can you talk about speed and seperation, when he only got a shot in the first two preseason games and did pretty well if we remember.
Only one person said anything negative about Hass. The extreme majority of us here loved the guy.

bclemms

More than 15K posts served!
Reaction score
I watched him in training camp and while he did look good at times he did not impress me. The radio personalities covering camp were drooling over Hass along with people on this board. I thought that his route running needed work, he ran good routes but not great routes. When you are as slow as he is you have to run great routes. Hass' biggest problem was fighting through the jam. When Fred Thomas or MM was covering him in camp they would simply walk to the line of scrimmage and jam him. Hass would take 2-3 seconds before he was able to get off the block and into his route. In the Pac 10 this was ok, in the NFL it means your QB is sacked before he even runs his route or at the very least disrupts the timing between the QB, offensive line and the WR. I'm not saying he can't improve in that area, especially considering he was rarely jammed in the Pac 10 but I would imagine it is a huge reason he is on the practice squad. When Hass was in man coverage he rarely had a step on the NFL quality defenders. Hass would line up and beat Anwar Phillips and Josh Lay but so did Jones, Colston, Horn, Moore, B. Johnson, Stallworth, Devery, Bush and anyone else lining up against them. When he was going up against zone coverages he did a nice job finding the open space and showed outstanding hands. Truth to the matter is he was not fast enough, didn't run good enough routes, had problem breaking the jam, couldn't do anything other WR's on this team could do, wasn't a threat to take the ball to the house or make defenders miss, wasn't strong enough to break tackles, couldn't play special teams and simply wasn't better than our other WR's. I do have to give him credit because at no time did he look scared and would go up and fight for balls, rarely losing that battle. I thought the Saints were trying to hide him the last game and a half to keep him on the practice squad. I just wish he would have stuck it out here and continued to work to get better instead of signing were he thought he could get on the field the quickest.

I was a huge Mike Hass fan and got excited along with the rest of the people on this board when we drafted him but after watching him in camp he looked like a slower version of Horn, Chris Horn.

I am still rooting for him and hope he can get on the field because from what I have read he has never impressed anyone until he got on the field and hope he gets that chance. Too bad he signed with the Bears instead of sticking it out on the Saints practice squad because he probrably would have got his chance a few weeks ago.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
The Saints will host family members of staff and players in test mode for opening stadium to fans. Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Saints will test viability of fans by inviting 750 guests on Sunday night Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Saints to have 750 family members in the Superdome this week as test for future fans Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Update: Cantrell allows High School Football to start with some fans @ games. Still no word on Saints Games Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 9
Saints Fans are taking over the Vegas Strip Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 24
Saints fans 'Ask Amie:' Answers about Michael Thomas, the secondary, practice squad call-ups Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Week 2 rooting guide: Who Saints fans should want to win and who they should be rooting against Saints RSS News Feeds 0
If crowd was allowed, Saints fans would've dominated at Raiders home opener, forecast shows Saints RSS News Feeds 0
No fans in Superdome for Week 3 vs. Packers, but Saints 'hopeful' to have fans for Chargers game Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Any Saints Fans going to Vegas next weekend ? Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 33
Delvin Breaux, former Saints player, sues ex-team doctors for alleged medical malpractice Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Inside Drew Brees' slow start: A lack of aggressive throws from Saints QB, not arm strength Saints RSS News Feeds 0
New Orleans Saints look to bounce back as home favorites on Sunday Night Saints RSS News Feeds 0
ktmoze MIA: Saints Stars have been Missing in Action Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 0
CSC’s Fantasy Start/Sit: Packers vs. Saints Saints RSS News Feeds 0
4 daily fantasy players from Week 3: Packers vs Saints Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Andrus Saints not worried about Emmanuel Sanders' slow start: 'His touches are going to come' SR News Page Articles 0
Andrus Packers vs. Saints: 5 things to watch and a prediction SR News Page Articles 0
Andrus Behind Enemy Lines, Week 3: Saints vs. Packers preview SR News Page Articles 0
Five questions before Week 3: New Orleans Saints vs. Green Bay Packers Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Film Study: Aaron Rodgers looks to feast on Saints penalty-prone secondary Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Saints great Derland Moore dies at 68 Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Super Bowl LV Odds: Saints Are Down, Not Out Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Saints expect Emmanuel Sanders production to pick up Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Fleur-de-Links, September 25: Saints look for ways to improve before Week 3 challenge Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Former Saints defensive lineman Derland Moore dead at 68 after battle with cancer Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Saints DE Davenport returns to practice Wednesday, Packers WR Adams again sits out Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Saints vs Packers Thursday injury report: Marcus Davenport limited Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Saints injury report: Marcus Davenport returns to practice, Michael Thomas held out again Saints RSS News Feeds 0
The Edge: Assessing how New Orleans Saints, Green Bay Packers stack up for Week 3 Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Andrus Saints Practice Interviews (9/24/20) | Rankins, Ramczyk, Robertson SR News Page Articles 0
jasonsw Wonder if Packers are doing the same thing with Davante Adams, That the Saints did with M.T. Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 4
Andrus Forecast: I hate the NFL canned crowd noise - plus Saints will be OK, just not this week SR News Page Articles 0
Andrus How have the Saints' 2021 free agents performed early in 2020? SR News Page Articles 0
Emmanuel Sanders is off to a slow start, but Saints are 'very confident in his ability' Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Andrus Saints Offense vs. Packers Defense Preview SR News Page Articles 0
Film Study: Saints third down woes prove to be too much in MNF loss to Raiders Saints RSS News Feeds 0
ktmoze 750 Saints Family will attend Packers Game Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 21
B-Train Packers @ Saints Line Currently -3 (24 September) Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 16
5 Things from the New Orleans Saints film room Saints RSS News Feeds 0
New Orleans Saints rookie roundup: Week 2 at the Las Vegas Raiders Saints RSS News Feeds 0
New Orleans Saints: Important quotes from Week 2 Saints RSS News Feeds 0
3 Takeaways from the New Orleans Saints vs the Las Vegas Raiders Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Fleur-de-Links, September 24: Former Saints teammates debut new podcast Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Video: Deuce Windham talks 1-1 Saints on All Access Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Andrus Demario Davis Talks Saints Defense, Week 3 prep | Saints vs. Packers Week 3 2020 SR News Page Articles 0
Andrus New Orleans Saints defensive success on third down must improve SR News Page Articles 0
Andrus Saints' Drew Brees pushes back on notion he's in decline: 'I feel good, borderline great' SR News Page Articles 0
Cam Jordan and former Saints teammate Mark Ingram debut 'Truss Levelz' podcast Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Thomas, Davenport, Hansen remain out on first Saints injury report of Packers week Saints RSS News Feeds 0