Saints Fans, could use your help for Mike Hass! (1 Viewer)

Reaction score
It is absolutely terrific how ell your Saints are doing. The entire country is excited and pleased for your team, you fans and especially your city after all you have been through!! Congratualtions!!!!!!!! Great to see.

Some of you may remember our posts regarding Mike Hass. He seemed to be liked on this New Orleans Saints forum for his hard work and gutsy atttude. But the fans in Chicago have never seen any of that.

May be weird request, but from getting to know some of you on this forum, you seem to like to see the underdog get a shot. And Mike is just that.

Mike Hass is now on the Bears practice squad. They have an opening due to injury, but from afar, the bears fans did not see any of what you folks did as to Mike's play in the preseason. And all the old posts saying all of that, are down off your New Orleans Saints forum due to age.

I just added some info in a post on a Bear's forum. And I am getting hit with questions like, if he was any good, why did the Saints cut him?

You folks watched what happened. Any chance some of you posting on their Bears forum as a visitor and letting them know what you saw?

Nice to be able to give a nice kid a break.

Here is the link:
http://boards.chicagobears.com/forums/thread/146340.aspx

Chicago Bears Message Boards »
Chicago Bears Message Board »
Bears Football »
Re: Disaster Plan B: Griese the skid

Thank you Warmest regards,

God bless New Orleans and all you folks!

Greg and Patti Gates
Lake Oswego, Oregon

great hands but not fast or anything. Grossman could use some short route guys (or so i think...i've only seen a couple bears games)

It was between Hass and Colston to make the team. And, well, you see where Colston is. Hass is good but has problems getting seperation.

Hass will make a great possession receiver for someone. Our problem was that we had Colston and Horn already making it on the team, so we have that covered. Our need was for speed and Special Teams, both which are weaknesses for Hass.

I was a big Hass fan and not ashamed to admit it. He catches EVERYTHING.

I think Payton was hoping to keep him on the practice squad and was probably very disappointed to see him opt for the bears squad instead.

Hass' big problem, obviously, is speed

Done and done. I hope the best for young Hass.

Hass is a beast. Cant blame a guy for getting beat out by Colston, the majority of #1 wide receivers in the league would have the same problem.

Hass was cut was because we were stacked at wide receiver and not because he couldn't perform.

Go Beavs

We had a log-jam at WR coming into the cuts and someone had to go. I think that he will be a good pro and has been mentioned as a "steve largent" type.

Kinda off subject, but do you have a wyrdawg that visits your boards ringdesigner?

Colston, Henderson, and Hass would have made a solid, young trio.

Folks give the kid a break. If I remember right, you folks said this kid did really well in your preseason practices as well as in the first two games. Then he just went away.

Who can you talk about speed and seperation, when he only got a shot in the first two preseason games and did pretty well if we remember.

Coulson is doing tremedous. We here in the NW are posting for him as rookie of the year! And we are always behind your city for what you folks have been through.

Just posted this on the Bears forum when asked why did they let him go?:

According to their Saints forums and the Saint's ESPN radio source, Mike was super in the preseason games he played in. They said they would keep Coulson on the active roster (great idea), and they would put Mike on the practice squad. But I think Mike's agent thought he got a raw deal. Apparently he missed a rookie camp as he was still in school for his nuclear engineering degree, and the NCAA squad he could not go for the long weekend since school was still in session. If he did not stay, he would not graduate. Apparently the head coach was not a happy camper over that. And he never forgave him for that. Hard to believe it, but if you are on a bubble, I guess it could.

He did great in the first two preseason games making a couple of catches in traffic, taking a vicious hit, and never dropping the ball. But then he disappeared, and there was speculation that he was being "hidden" so he would not be picked up on waivers and they would keep him. Don't understand that, but that is what they said on the forum. The radio guys published an article prior to the last preseason game saying Mike would be one of the 6 WRs on the active roster. Of course that did not happen.

Anyway, I just posted (11/07/06) on the NO Saints forum. I asked them to come on up to let you know what they saw.

I am biased admittedly in Mike Hass' favor. But they are not. So let's see if any of them take the time to come on up here to this forum and give you their two cents.

Isn't technology fantastic!

Warmest regards,

Greg and Patti Gates
Lake Oswego Oregon

Folks give the kid a break. If I remember right, you folks said this kid did really well in your preseason practices as well as in the first two games. Then he just went away.

Who can you talk about speed and seperation, when he only got a shot in the first two preseason games and did pretty well if we remember.

Only one person said anything negative about Hass. The extreme majority of us here loved the guy.

I watched him in training camp and while he did look good at times he did not impress me. The radio personalities covering camp were drooling over Hass along with people on this board. I thought that his route running needed work, he ran good routes but not great routes. When you are as slow as he is you have to run great routes. Hass' biggest problem was fighting through the jam. When Fred Thomas or MM was covering him in camp they would simply walk to the line of scrimmage and jam him. Hass would take 2-3 seconds before he was able to get off the block and into his route. In the Pac 10 this was ok, in the NFL it means your QB is sacked before he even runs his route or at the very least disrupts the timing between the QB, offensive line and the WR. I'm not saying he can't improve in that area, especially considering he was rarely jammed in the Pac 10 but I would imagine it is a huge reason he is on the practice squad. When Hass was in man coverage he rarely had a step on the NFL quality defenders. Hass would line up and beat Anwar Phillips and Josh Lay but so did Jones, Colston, Horn, Moore, B. Johnson, Stallworth, Devery, Bush and anyone else lining up against them. When he was going up against zone coverages he did a nice job finding the open space and showed outstanding hands. Truth to the matter is he was not fast enough, didn't run good enough routes, had problem breaking the jam, couldn't do anything other WR's on this team could do, wasn't a threat to take the ball to the house or make defenders miss, wasn't strong enough to break tackles, couldn't play special teams and simply wasn't better than our other WR's. I do have to give him credit because at no time did he look scared and would go up and fight for balls, rarely losing that battle. I thought the Saints were trying to hide him the last game and a half to keep him on the practice squad. I just wish he would have stuck it out here and continued to work to get better instead of signing were he thought he could get on the field the quickest.

I was a huge Mike Hass fan and got excited along with the rest of the people on this board when we drafted him but after watching him in camp he looked like a slower version of Horn, Chris Horn.

I am still rooting for him and hope he can get on the field because from what I have read he has never impressed anyone until he got on the field and hope he gets that chance. Too bad he signed with the Bears instead of sticking it out on the Saints practice squad because he probrably would have got his chance a few weeks ago.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom