Saints fans help!! Robert Meachem question (1 Viewer)

is that a joke? seriously. Henderson has had less drops that Marques the last two years.

Don't get me wrong, Marques is a beast and our clear workhorse, but he has not shown the elite hands from early in his career since the thumb injury.

Devery gets targeted less than Colston.

You put a ball on Colston's back shoulder, hell anywhere in a five foot bubble around the man and more times than not those big meathooks of his hands will flash out and pull that ball in. Does he drop a few? Find me a receiver considered a primary target that doesn't drop a few and then we'll talk.

He has the 3rd best hands on our team behind Moore and Colston. He does make some big plays, but it's the other stuff that he's always had a bit of trouble with (route running, blocking). The thing about him though, is he's not even close to hitting his ceiling. He's a slow learner, but he IS learning.

He has the 3rd best hands on our team behind Moore and Colston. He does make some big plays, but it's the other stuff that he's always had a bit of trouble with (route running, blocking).

You're incorrect. Meach is considered the best run blocking WR on the team. Whenever we get into a jumbo formation, it's Meach that's the WR on the play and it's because he's a good run blocker.

I think the best "any down" set the Saints have is Colston and Meachem split out wide with Moore in the slot and Heath/Bush in the backfield. It's a pretty obvious passing/screen situation, but you have to respect every offensive player, otherwise Drew will pick you apart.

I know I'll get flamed for this, as I did at the beginning of the season, but Meachem is younger (and IMO better) than Henderson. I'm glad Henderson is turning his season around, the Saints may be able to get value out of him this offseason if Arrington can show he's ready to see the field.

Arrington is not a burner. Henderson is. I like Arrington a lot and respected him at Michigan.

This season was disappointing to the offense as a whole for the first 7 games.

Meach too has not been upto the mark but the sky is the limit for him. Guy has to stay healthy.

Our offense will get much better soon. At the end of season there will be some tricky decisions to make.

Meachem is slowly coming back into form. I'll need to see this week's film study but after the Seattle game it's apparent that he IS on the field the whole game.

Film Study Seattle:
Here's the breakdown of the reps at each skill position: WR -Colston 52; Meachem 50; Moore 34; Henderson 22. TE - David Thomas 51; Jimmy Graham 31; Zach Strief 17; Humphrey 5. RB -- Ivory 29; Betts 21; Jones 19. FB - Evans 28.

http://www.nola.com/saints/index.ssf/2010/11/film_study_1.html

For the season, Colston leads all Saints receivers with 68 catches for 810 yards and four touchdowns. Moore has 43 catches for 530 yards and six touchdowns. Meachem has 28 catches for 409 yards and four scores. And Henderson has 27 catches for 376 yards and one score.
http://www.nola.com/saints/index.ssf/2010/11/new_orleans_saints_spread_the.html

He has the 3rd best hands on our team behind Moore and Colston. He does make some big plays, but it's the other stuff that he's always had a bit of trouble with (route running, blocking). The thing about him though, is he's not even close to hitting his ceiling. He's a slow learner, but he IS learning.

Um, he's easily our best run blocking WR and is our second best run blocking skill player behind Shockey.

copied and pasted from a post I made last week

http://topics.nola.com/tag/new%20orl...udy/index.html

snaps per game for our WRs

Vikings
WR - Colston 43; Henderson 41; Moore 30; Meachem 25.

49ers

WR - Henderson 52; Colston 52; Moore 28; Meachem 14.

Falcons
WR - Colston 43; Henderson 39; Moore 31; Meachem 16.

Panthers

WR - Colston 68; Henderson 56; Moore 47; Meachem 28.

Cardinals
WR - Colston 51; Henderson 40; Meachem 30; Moore 27.

Bucs
WR - Colston 47; Meachem 38; Henderson 37; Moore 22.

Browns
WR - Colston 62; Henderson 48; Moore 40; Meachem 38.

Steelers
WR - Colston 52; Meachem 50; Moore 34; Henderson 22.

Panthers (game2)
WR - Colston 54; Meachem 53; Moore 33; Henderson 26.

Seahawks
WR - Colston 52; Meachem 50; Moore 34; Henderson 22.

I have always heard that its his route running... If you notice, he doesnt get thrown to much at all within 20 yards but the dude is $$$$ on the deep routes!

That's inaccurate. His ypc on the season would be a lot higher than 14.6 if that was the case.

<TABLE class=w655px cellSpacing=0><TBODY><TR class=datatabledatahead><TD>WK</TD><TD>Game Date</TD><TD>Opp</TD><TD>Result</TD><TD>G</TD><TD>GS</TD><TD>Rec</TD><TD>Yds</TD><TD>Avg</TD><TD>Lng</TD><TD>TD</TD><TD>Att</TD><TD>Yds</TD><TD>Avg</TD><TD>Lng</TD><TD>TD</TD><TD>FUM</TD><TD>Lost</TD><TR><TR class=whiteback><TD>1</TD><TD>09/09 </TD><TD>MIN </TD><TD>W 14-9 </TD></TD><TD>1</TD><TD>1</TD><TD>3</TD><TD>33</TD><TD>11.0</TD><TD>26</TD><TD>0</TD><TD>--</TD><TD>--</TD><TD>--</TD><TD>--</TD><TD>--</TD><TD>--</TD><TD>--</TD></TR><TR class=ltblueback><TD>2</TD><TD>09/20 </TD><TD>@ SF </TD><TD>W 25-22 </TD></TD><TD>1</TD><TD>0</TD><TD>0</TD><TD>0</TD><TD>--</TD><TD>--</TD><TD>0</TD><TD>--</TD><TD>--</TD><TD>--</TD><TD>--</TD><TD>--</TD><TD>--</TD><TD>--</TD></TR><TR class=whiteback><TD>3</TD><TD>09/26 </TD><TD>ATL </TD><TD>L 24-27 </TD></TD><TD>1</TD><TD>1</TD><TD>1</TD><TD>5</TD><TD>5.0</TD><TD>5</TD><TD>0</TD><TD>--</TD><TD>--</TD><TD>--</TD><TD>--</TD><TD>--</TD><TD>--</TD><TD>--</TD></TR><TR class=ltblueback><TD>4</TD><TD>10/03 </TD><TD>CAR </TD><TD>W 16-14 </TD></TD><TD>1</TD><TD>0</TD><TD>2</TD><TD>16</TD><TD>8.0</TD><TD>9</TD><TD>0</TD><TD>1</TD><TD>7</TD><TD>7.0</TD><TD>7</TD><TD>0</TD><TD>--</TD><TD>--</TD></TR><TR class=whiteback><TD>5</TD><TD>10/10 </TD><TD>@ ARI </TD><TD>L 20-30 </TD></TD><TD>1</TD><TD>0</TD><TD>4</TD><TD>57</TD><TD>14.3</TD><TD>35T</TD><TD>1</TD><TD>--</TD><TD>--</TD><TD>--</TD><TD>--</TD><TD>--</TD><TD>--</TD><TD>--</TD></TR><TR class=ltblueback><TD>6</TD><TD>10/17 </TD><TD>@ TB </TD><TD>W 31-6 </TD></TD><TD>1</TD><TD>0</TD><TD>4</TD><TD>71</TD><TD>17.8</TD><TD>42T</TD><TD>1</TD><TD>--</TD><TD>--</TD><TD>--</TD><TD>--</TD><TD>--</TD><TD>--</TD><TD>--</TD></TR><TR class=whiteback><TD>7</TD><TD>10/24 </TD><TD>CLE </TD><TD>L 17-30 </TD></TD><TD>1</TD><TD>1</TD><TD>2</TD><TD>31</TD><TD>15.5</TD><TD>29</TD><TD>0</TD><TD>1</TD><TD>2</TD><TD>2.0</TD><TD>2</TD><TD>0</TD><TD>--</TD><TD>--</TD></TR><TR class=ltblueback><TD>8</TD><TD>10/31 </TD><TD>PIT </TD><TD>W 20-10 </TD></TD><TD>1</TD><TD>1</TD><TD>6</TD><TD>76</TD><TD>12.7</TD><TD>50</TD><TD>0</TD><TD>--</TD><TD>--</TD><TD>--</TD><TD>--</TD><TD>--</TD><TD>--</TD><TD>--</TD></TR><TR class=whiteback><TD>9</TD><TD>11/07 </TD><TD>@ CAR </TD><TD>W 34-3 </TD></TD><TD>1</TD><TD>1</TD><TD>2</TD><TD>15</TD><TD>7.5</TD><TD>13</TD><TD>0</TD><TD>--</TD><TD>--</TD><TD>--</TD><TD>--</TD><TD>--</TD><TD>--</TD><TD>--</TD></TR><TR class=ltblueback><TD>10</TD><TD>Bye</TD><TD colSpan=2></TD><TD>--</TD><TD>--</TD><TD>--</TD><TD>--</TD><TD>--</TD><TD>--</TD><TD>--</TD><TD>--</TD><TD>--</TD><TD>--</TD><TD>--</TD><TD>--</TD><TD>--</TD><TD>--</TD></TR><TR class=whiteback><TD>11</TD><TD>11/21 </TD><TD>SEA </TD><TD>W 34-19 </TD></TD><TD>1</TD><TD>0</TD><TD>3</TD><TD>50</TD><TD>16.7</TD><TD>32T</TD><TD>2</TD><TD>1</TD><TD>8</TD><TD>8.0</TD><TD>8</TD><TD>0</TD><TD>--</TD><TD>--</TD></TR><TR class=ltblueback><TD>12</TD><TD>11/25 </TD><TD>@ DAL </TD><TD>W 30-27 </TD></TD><TD>1</TD><TD>0</TD><TD>1</TD><TD>55</TD><TD>55.0</TD><TD>55</TD><TD>0</TD><TD>--</TD><TD>--</TD><TD>--</TD><TD>--</TD><TD>--</TD><TD>--</TD><TD>--</TD></TR><TR class=datatabledatahead><TD colSpan=4>TOTAL</TD><TD>11</TD><TD>5</TD><TD>28</TD><TD>409</TD><TD>14.6</TD><TD>55</TD><TD>4</TD><TD>3</TD><TD>17</TD><TD>5.7</TD><TD>8</TD><TD>0</TD><TD>0</TD><TD>0</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

I'm sure we'd use him underneath more often if we didn't have Lance Moore.
<!-- END PAGE rightrail/otherlinks --><SCRIPT type=text/javascript>nfl.ads.createAd("ad1290896017615rightrailsecond", 'nfl.players/gamelogs;s1=gamelogs;slot=rightrailsecond;url=gamelogs_MEA057501;nfl=ad;!category=;kw=;plyr=robert_meachem;piece of work=wr;team=no;conf=nfc;dvsn=ncs;tile=#{tile};test=;sz=300x600', { width: 300, height: 600, rotating: false, slot: 'rightrailsecond', transparent: false});</SCRIPT><SCRIPT type=text/javascript>nfl.ads.createAd("ad1290896017616inpage", 'nfl.players/gamelogs;s1=gamelogs;slot=inpage;url=gamelogs_MEA057501;nfl=ad;!category=;kw=;plyr=robert_meachem;piece of work=wr;team=no;conf=nfc;dvsn=ncs;tile=#{tile};test=;sz=300x100', { width: 300, height: 100, rotating: false, slot: 'inpage', transparent: false});</SCRIPT>

Arrington is not a burner. Henderson is. I like Arrington a lot and respected him at Michigan.

This season was disappointing to the offense as a whole for the first 7 games.

Meach too has not been upto the mark but the sky is the limit for him. Guy has to stay healthy.

Our offense will get much better soon. At the end of season there will be some tricky decisions to make.

I wasn't saying Arrington was a burner, though he does have a knack for making plays downfield, he doesn't have the straight line speed like Devery and Meachem. If I were to put him into any category, he would be a mix of Colston and Moore. Not really in height/weight, but in style of play. I think the biggest knock on Arrington is he's best suited in a slot/split wide+slant type role, but doesn't have the size. If he can push his weight to 205, mainly in his legs, IMO his durability would be improved.

I don't want to thread-jack and turn this into an AA conversation, but right now, there's 2 deep threats on the team, which is a luxury. With the way defenses have been playing the Saints, taking away the deep ball, would it be a big loss to go from 2 deep threats and 1 slot to 2 slots and 1 deep threat? Don't get me wrong, I'd love to keep everybody, but after this season and having to pay certain players, that might be the most price conscious approach.

I feel like SP is going to be drafting another receiver next years draft as well.

Devery gets targeted less than Colston.

You put a ball on Colston's back shoulder, hell anywhere in a five foot bubble around the man and more times than not those big meathooks of his hands will flash out and pull that ball in. Does he drop a few? Find me a receiver considered a primary target that doesn't drop a few and then we'll talk.

you're trying to change the argument. You said Colston has the best hands on the team. Anyone with eyes knows that Moore has the best, most reliable hands on the team.

Also, I never said that Colston had bad hands, just that he has been plagued with occasional drops since the thumb. However, his catch radius is the size of Fat City, so he snags a ton of balls. I also think people do not give Devery the credit he deserves for improving his hands.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom