Saints fans help!! Robert Meachem question (1 Viewer)

I'd have to say that Meachem has proven to be one of the most clutch receivers with the game on the line for the last two years. It seems like just as Reggie manages to fumble the game away (or nearly so) when we can least afford it, Meachem makes a huge play when we desperately need it.

I dnt think meachem has the best hands..he never catches the ball with his hands he uses his body

You misspelled "Colston."

i hope you were joshing a little..i love colston and he's an awesome WR esp in traffic, but not only does lance moore have the best hands on the team, he probably has some of the best hand in the league - please reference the 2pt conversion i the superbowl and the one-handed grab last week and realize that neither of those plays were all that surprising for lance

I think if u just go on pure talent across the board, meach is the best but of course some of the others in the corp can do somethings better then him. No wr IMO has justified more time on the field then moore, it is just that Meach makes more splash plays which are the espn highlights, but Colston and moore are our money guys. I don't think one guy is more important then another. All are apart of a machine that works and all can and will have there moments in any game. They have to be ready when there number is called or in the saints offense case, when brees throw you the ball.

Lance Moore must be your favorite player

lol it sounds like Colston is the favorite around here =P

I have 3 Colston jerseys (in my colelction of 36) I love the man, I hope he is a Saints forever, I love the fact that he is a 7th round stud, that he can jump over any DB, even Adrian Wilson and I love his heart character and the fact that he has become a HUGE threat in the YAC dept. and is not a "possession receiver" in the average fans eye

BUT

the dude misses some EASY catches, often times at the worst or near worst moments in tight games

HOWEVER he also happens to be a guy that makes up for stupid mistakes with BIG TIME miracle catches in traffic or in the back of the endzone and it helps us all to remember those feats more so than his costly drops. I don't think there is anyone in the league that comes back from potentially ego shattering mistakes like "Big Smooth" NO ONE!

On the flip side, Lance Moore has the BEST hands on the Saints, best hands in the NFC SOUTH and is near tops in the entire league, but its clear from SR he is a flavor of Saints player that requires a... refined palette to enjoy or like as much as a Colston guy with a great story that we all love to hear.

Lance makes ridiculous catches routinely, catches that are not just pretty and improbable often times they are so ridiculous I doubt it until I see the replays myself

BUT he happens to make these sick catches at less triumphant times such as turning a 2nd & 10 into a 3rd & 2, or a 1st and 20 into a 2nd & 8... qualities you'd think most other blue collar, deuce loving, fans would appreciate, however yes he happens to celebrate after catches... and apparently people only like it when Shockey does that...

That said, homer glasses off, in terms of best hands for WR it goes:

Moore, Colston, Henderson then Meachem... bubble bursted. Meachem is a sick talented player and yes makes some great grabs, but has not yet shaken his natural inclinations to catch with his body, a observation made back before he was drafted... Its something he WILL learn to do as he gets healthy and continues learning, but right now he has some things to polish up WHICH only makes more promising down the line, a very scary notion for opposing teams!

lol it sounds like Colston is the favorite around here =P

I have 3 Colston jerseys (in my colelction of 36) I love the man, I hope he is a Saints forever, I love the fact that he is a 7th round stud, that he can jump over any DB, even Adrian Wilson and I love his heart character and the fact that he has become a HUGE threat in the YAC dept. and is not a "possession receiver" in the average fans eye

BUT

the dude misses some EASY catches, often times at the worst or near worst moments in tight games

HOWEVER he also happens to be a guy that makes up for stupid mistakes with BIG TIME miracle catches in traffic or in the back of the endzone and it helps us all to remember those feats more so than his costly drops. I don't think there is anyone in the league that comes back from potentially ego shattering mistakes like "Big Smooth" NO ONE!

On the flip side, Lance Moore has the BEST hands on the Saints, best hands in the NFC SOUTH and is near tops in the entire league, but its clear from SR he is a flavor of Saints player that requires a... refined palette to enjoy or like as much as a Colston guy with a great story that we all love to hear.

Lance makes ridiculous catches routinely, catches that are not just pretty and improbable often times they are so ridiculous I doubt it until I see the replays myself

BUT he happens to make these sick catches at less triumphant times such as turning a 2nd & 10 into a 3rd & 2, or a 1st and 20 into a 2nd & 8... qualities you'd think most other blue collar, deuce loving, fans would appreciate, however yes he happens to celebrate after catches... and apparently people only like it when Shockey does that...

That said, homer glasses off, in terms of best hands for WR it goes:

Moore, Colston, Henderson then Meachem... bubble bursted. Meachem is a sick talented player and yes makes some great grabs, but has not yet shaken his natural inclinations to catch with his body, a observation made back before he was drafted... Its something he WILL learn to do as he gets healthy and continues learning, but right now he has some things to polish up WHICH only makes more promising down the line, a very scary notion for opposing teams!

Not so much as being a favorite to me, but I know who's the no. 1 guy. If Lance truly had the best hands, he'd be the go to guy and have the most catches/targets or at least close to the amount Colston has. Colston does tend to drop some easy passes occasionally and Lance makes some sick catches of his own, but I seriously doubt Lance could make the same type of catches Colston does in heavy traffic on a regular basis with about two or three defenders constantly surrounding him.

I have nothing against Lance, but I think he tends to exaggerate some of his catches and makes them seem bigger than what they really are by overdoing it with his body movement and I guess that's what make some of you go on and on about them being so clutch or ridiculous.

FWIW, according to Stats LLC, Colston has caught 68 of his 100 targets (68%) including 3 drops, while Lance has 43 catches on 63 targets (69%) and one drop. That doesn't seem like a big difference to me to the point where Lance would have this huge advantage that some of you want to believe.

Not so much as being a favorite to me, but I know who's the no. 1 guy. If Lance truly had the best hands, he'd be the go to guy and have the most catches/targets or at least close to the amount Colston has. Colston does tend to drop some easy passes occasionally and Lance makes some sick catches of his own, but I seriously doubt Lance could make the same type of catches Colston does in heavy traffic on a regular basis with about two or three defenders constantly surrounding him.

I have nothing against Lance, but I think he tends to exaggerate some of his catches and makes them seem bigger than what they really are by overdoing it with his body movement and I guess that's what make some of you go on and on about them being so clutch or ridiculous.

FWIW, according to Stats LLC, Colston has caught 68 of his 100 targets (68%) including 3 drops, while Lance has 43 catches on 63 targets (69%) and one drop. That doesn't seem like a big difference to me to the point where Lance would have this huge advantage that some of you want to believe.

Umm...you do understand that you can be a better all-around receiver without having the best hands? Why do you think TO is considered one of the greatest receivers of all time, despite leading the league in drops many years?

He has the 3rd best hands on our team behind Moore and Colston. He does make some big plays, but it's the other stuff that he's always had a bit of trouble with (route running, blocking). The thing about him though, is he's not even close to hitting his ceiling. He's a slow learner, but he IS learning.

I think his hands are better than Colston. I would venture to say that if you measured the catch percentage of both players based upon real drops (passes that should have been caught by the WR), his percentage would be higher over the last four seasons than Colston. His hands are very good, and the is fully capable of being a top-flight WR. And that's not to take anything away from Colston, who has proven himself time and time again and is already a top-flight WR.

Also, Meachem is our best blocking WR. We cannot just make things up to explain why a player might not be on the field as much as some people believe he should be. The simple answer for Meachem not being on the field as much as the OP thinks he should be is two-fold. First, we run a lot of different packages. The sheer play design of our offense means that we are going to play with a lot of different groupings and do not always have what one might consider to be a primary receiver. Colston is our top WR but there are a lot of plays called where he is not the primary WR during that play, much the way you see with other teams who do not use as many personnel groupings as Sean does.

Second, Meachem, as has been mentioned, was hurt during the preseason. Based on last year's performance, I believe he would have been our #2 if not for being injured. Then it took him some time to really get over the turf toe even after coming back from it and round into shape. Now that he has, he's been on the field the last three or four weeks more than any other WR on the team not named Colston.

That's inaccurate. His ypc on the season would be a lot higher than 14.6 if that was the case.

<TABLE class=w655px cellSpacing=0><TBODY><TR class=datatabledatahead><TD>WK</TD><TD>Game Date</TD><TD>Opp</TD><TD>Result</TD><TD>G</TD><TD>GS</TD><TD>Rec</TD><TD>Yds</TD><TD>Avg</TD><TD>Lng</TD><TD>TD</TD><TD>Att</TD><TD>Yds</TD><TD>Avg</TD><TD>Lng</TD><TD>TD</TD><TD>FUM</TD><TD>Lost</TD><TR><TR class=whiteback><TD>1</TD><TD>09/09 </TD><TD>MIN </TD><TD>W 14-9 </TD></TD><TD>1</TD><TD>1</TD><TD>3</TD><TD>33</TD><TD>11.0</TD><TD>26</TD><TD>0</TD><TD>--</TD><TD>--</TD><TD>--</TD><TD>--</TD><TD>--</TD><TD>--</TD><TD>--</TD></TR><TR class=ltblueback><TD>2</TD><TD>09/20 </TD><TD>@ SF </TD><TD>W 25-22 </TD></TD><TD>1</TD><TD>0</TD><TD>0</TD><TD>0</TD><TD>--</TD><TD>--</TD><TD>0</TD><TD>--</TD><TD>--</TD><TD>--</TD><TD>--</TD><TD>--</TD><TD>--</TD><TD>--</TD></TR><TR class=whiteback><TD>3</TD><TD>09/26 </TD><TD>ATL </TD><TD>L 24-27 </TD></TD><TD>1</TD><TD>1</TD><TD>1</TD><TD>5</TD><TD>5.0</TD><TD>5</TD><TD>0</TD><TD>--</TD><TD>--</TD><TD>--</TD><TD>--</TD><TD>--</TD><TD>--</TD><TD>--</TD></TR><TR class=ltblueback><TD>4</TD><TD>10/03 </TD><TD>CAR </TD><TD>W 16-14 </TD></TD><TD>1</TD><TD>0</TD><TD>2</TD><TD>16</TD><TD>8.0</TD><TD>9</TD><TD>0</TD><TD>1</TD><TD>7</TD><TD>7.0</TD><TD>7</TD><TD>0</TD><TD>--</TD><TD>--</TD></TR><TR class=whiteback><TD>5</TD><TD>10/10 </TD><TD>@ ARI </TD><TD>L 20-30 </TD></TD><TD>1</TD><TD>0</TD><TD>4</TD><TD>57</TD><TD>14.3</TD><TD>35T</TD><TD>1</TD><TD>--</TD><TD>--</TD><TD>--</TD><TD>--</TD><TD>--</TD><TD>--</TD><TD>--</TD></TR><TR class=ltblueback><TD>6</TD><TD>10/17 </TD><TD>@ TB </TD><TD>W 31-6 </TD></TD><TD>1</TD><TD>0</TD><TD>4</TD><TD>71</TD><TD>17.8</TD><TD>42T</TD><TD>1</TD><TD>--</TD><TD>--</TD><TD>--</TD><TD>--</TD><TD>--</TD><TD>--</TD><TD>--</TD></TR><TR class=whiteback><TD>7</TD><TD>10/24 </TD><TD>CLE </TD><TD>L 17-30 </TD></TD><TD>1</TD><TD>1</TD><TD>2</TD><TD>31</TD><TD>15.5</TD><TD>29</TD><TD>0</TD><TD>1</TD><TD>2</TD><TD>2.0</TD><TD>2</TD><TD>0</TD><TD>--</TD><TD>--</TD></TR><TR class=ltblueback><TD>8</TD><TD>10/31 </TD><TD>PIT </TD><TD>W 20-10 </TD></TD><TD>1</TD><TD>1</TD><TD>6</TD><TD>76</TD><TD>12.7</TD><TD>50</TD><TD>0</TD><TD>--</TD><TD>--</TD><TD>--</TD><TD>--</TD><TD>--</TD><TD>--</TD><TD>--</TD></TR><TR class=whiteback><TD>9</TD><TD>11/07 </TD><TD>@ CAR </TD><TD>W 34-3 </TD></TD><TD>1</TD><TD>1</TD><TD>2</TD><TD>15</TD><TD>7.5</TD><TD>13</TD><TD>0</TD><TD>--</TD><TD>--</TD><TD>--</TD><TD>--</TD><TD>--</TD><TD>--</TD><TD>--</TD></TR><TR class=ltblueback><TD>10</TD><TD>Bye</TD><TD colSpan=2></TD><TD>--</TD><TD>--</TD><TD>--</TD><TD>--</TD><TD>--</TD><TD>--</TD><TD>--</TD><TD>--</TD><TD>--</TD><TD>--</TD><TD>--</TD><TD>--</TD><TD>--</TD><TD>--</TD></TR><TR class=whiteback><TD>11</TD><TD>11/21 </TD><TD>SEA </TD><TD>W 34-19 </TD></TD><TD>1</TD><TD>0</TD><TD>3</TD><TD>50</TD><TD>16.7</TD><TD>32T</TD><TD>2</TD><TD>1</TD><TD>8</TD><TD>8.0</TD><TD>8</TD><TD>0</TD><TD>--</TD><TD>--</TD></TR><TR class=ltblueback><TD>12</TD><TD>11/25 </TD><TD>@ DAL </TD><TD>W 30-27 </TD></TD><TD>1</TD><TD>0</TD><TD>1</TD><TD>55</TD><TD>55.0</TD><TD>55</TD><TD>0</TD><TD>--</TD><TD>--</TD><TD>--</TD><TD>--</TD><TD>--</TD><TD>--</TD><TD>--</TD></TR><TR class=datatabledatahead><TD colSpan=4>TOTAL</TD><TD>11</TD><TD>5</TD><TD>28</TD><TD>409</TD><TD>14.6</TD><TD>55</TD><TD>4</TD><TD>3</TD><TD>17</TD><TD>5.7</TD><TD>8</TD><TD>0</TD><TD>0</TD><TD>0</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

I'm sure we'd use him underneath more often if we didn't have Lance Moore.
<!-- END PAGE rightrail/otherlinks --><SCRIPT type=text/javascript>nfl.ads.createAd("ad1290896017615rightrailsecond", 'nfl.players/gamelogs;s1=gamelogs;slot=rightrailsecond;url=gamelogs_MEA057501;nfl=ad;!category=;kw=;plyr=robert_meachem;piece of work=wr;team=no;conf=nfc;dvsn=ncs;tile=#{tile};test=;sz=300x600', { width: 300, height: 600, rotating: false, slot: 'rightrailsecond', transparent: false});</SCRIPT><SCRIPT type=text/javascript>nfl.ads.createAd("ad1290896017616inpage", 'nfl.players/gamelogs;s1=gamelogs;slot=inpage;url=gamelogs_MEA057501;nfl=ad;!category=;kw=;plyr=robert_meachem;piece of work=wr;team=no;conf=nfc;dvsn=ncs;tile=#{tile};test=;sz=300x100', { width: 300, height: 100, rotating: false, slot: 'inpage', transparent: false});</SCRIPT>

Meachem is pretty money on deep balls, but he, as I believe you are alluding to here, does get some underneath stuff. The Saints love throwing the bubble screen to him, which accounts for a lower YPC. And every now and then, you see Drew hit him on an intermediate route. Again, I think we have to be careful making up reasons for why he might not see the field as much as the OP believes he should. You're spot on to point out his average as an indication that he does not only run deep routes.

The premise of the thread is wrong.

Meachem already is on the field more then any WR not named Colston.

This stat is a bit misleading. If you judge the catch percentage off times targeted, then you are assuming that all the targets reach the WR's hands or were deemed catchable balls. If a CB jumps the route and defends or intercepts the pass, is that a drop by the WR? I think it is better to look at real passes dropped versus catch percentage. I think Scouts, Inc, provides these stats. According to them, as of last week or so, Lance Moore was the only WR in the NFC South who had not dropped a pass.

That said, we could even take an unscientific measure their catch percentages just based upon the nunmbers you provided. Colston caught 68 of the 71 passes that touched his hands, which is a very solid 96%. For Moore, he caught 43 of 44 passes, which is 98%. The difference is not that great, but if you examine these same numbers over a period of four seasons, I would not be surprised to see Moore's catch-percentage widen a bit over Colston's. And Colston is no slouch as evidenced by his numbers here and just his stats. But there is nothing wrong with acknowledging that Moore has the best hands on the team.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom