Saints fans, I need your help! (1 Viewer)

Reaction score
I am a Buffalo Bills fan (yes, those still exist), and every year we do a fun mock draft over on the Bills message board, where we each select a team to be the GM and draft for, and even make trades and such.

This year, I chose your beloved New Orleans Saints. We only do 3 rounds of the draft, and I wanted to come out with a CB, DT, and OLB for you all (I figured an o-lineman or safety could come in round 4 and beyond). However, I wanted to get real opinions from real knowledgeable fans on what you guys need or what to do with your draft selections since I am obviously not up to par as any of you would be.

The draft starts Monday, but while awaiting for my username to be approved here, I have already made a couple of trades. I traded with Philly, and swapped 1st round picks along with CB Lito Sheppard. I really wanted LB Keith Rivers for you guys at #10, but everyone in Bills land loves him, and with Bills fans comprising all of the teams' mock GM's, I know somebody will scoop him up before that pick.

So I was at #19 with CB Sheppard. I then traded with the Giants, swapped first round picks again, and landed TE Jeremy Shockey. So far, I've acquired CB Lito Sheppard and TE Jeremy Shockey and have't even given up a draft pick (I still have a 1st, 2nd, and 3rd).

Now, at #31, I'm just going to see who is there, but my first choice would be LB Dan Connor (I think he is a great run-stopping LB that would be great for you guys), and I'm considering S Kenny Phillips if he's there because I read some threads on your board and realize he is popular here. I do a lot of work and film watching for a draft website, and I'm really really high on DT Pat Sims. I think he is very underrated. He is a big guy who can stuff the run, but is also very quick at getting off the ball and into the backfield. Personally, I feel he is one of the better DT's in this draft (call me crazy).

I'm hoping he will be there with my 2nd rounder, we'll see. I'm also thinking about Mayo at #31 (he can play outside no problem). But, what do you guys think? Where should I go with the picks, and who are some players on your radar? Suggestions? I'm just trying to get a better feel for Saints football!

I wish you worked for our front office. Lito AND Shockey? Oh yeah!

PS: I'd be happy with Mayo @ #31.

I'd target Sims with 31, Forte with 40, and either Erin Henderson, Phillip Wheeler, or Tavaris Gooden with the Saints third round pick.

Great job. You're hired.Those two trade downs were actually discussed here (I am certain that whoever is responsible will humbly take the credit). I agree with your take on Sims, but hopefully we can pick him up at 40. Personally, I would go with Connor.

:plus-un2: On the Mayo and Sims idea. What are you doing on April 26th I think we could use you in the war room.....

With the third round pick I don't know about anyone else but I would either go with a WR (Eddie Royal or someone of the like) or Safety DaJaun Morgan.

What a first couple of rounds that would be

Trade for Lito and Shockey
Draft Mayo 31
Draft Sims at 40
Draft BPA in the third.

Hey, first of all, best of luck for you and the bills, I like their young team a lot. Hoping you manage to keep the franchise for years to come.

You made moves that would make this forum crazy with joy. Personally I wouldn't know how we can pay so many big contracts, but at the end, this is all for fun.

You have to feel the draft. I wouldn't mind getting Connor, Mayo, Trevor Laws or even Cason at 31 if one of them is there.

Since I have to give you my choices,without knowing how the draft may go, I say:

31- Laws may be the player here, I may take it early but the drop on defensive tackle is bigger then at corner or linebacker.

40- Cason. I think the guy is a talent, and even with Sheppard, I would take him here. if he is not there a young linebacker like Lofton or Henderson will be great value.

72- Tavares Gooden will be great value here, because of his flexibility, if Cason was taken in the second round. If a linebacker was taken, we may take a gamble on a physical talent like CB Molden, Justin King or Pat Lee.

Thanks for taking us, and enjoy the draft.

Other questions... assuming I can go LB/DT in some type of order with the 1st and 2nd rounder, what positions/players should I target in the 3rd? Safety? OL?

I was looking on your roster, and I was thinking maybe even another DT or LB with the 3rd rounder, no? I'm assuming if I get someone like Connor or Mayo, that Shanle is the one replaced? But, how is Fujita? I saw he almost had 100 tackles last year, does he need to be upgraded too, or is he fine? Same with DT, could you guys use 2?

And thanks for all the support, I think its more that the Bills fans over there are idiots than me doing something right. You should see it over there, I call it the retard rodeo.

You already got Shockey and Sheppard so that's great.

I'd take the best DT and LB available with your first two and then go BPA after that

Dude just "won" that mock draft.

I give a vote for Mayo at 31.

Last edited:
Is Mayo available at 31? if so grab him in the first.

For #2 pick up Lawws or Sims

For #3 Pick up FS DaJuan Morgan or a Guard

Other questions... assuming I can go LB/DT in some type of order with the 1st and 2nd rounder, what positions/players should I target in the 3rd? Safety? OL?

I was looking on your roster, and I was thinking maybe even another DT or LB with the 3rd rounder, no? I'm assuming if I get someone like Connor or Mayo, that Shanle is the one replaced? But, how is Fujita? I saw he almost had 100 tackles last year, does he need to be upgraded too, or is he fine? Same with DT, could you guys use 2?

And thanks for all the support, I think its more that the Bills fans over there are idiots than me doing something right. You should see it over there, I call it the retard rodeo.

Shanle needs to be upgraded. Fujita is a solid starter and a defensive captain. We need another DT, Young and Thomas are both ok but both getting up their in age. We need an influx of youth and athleticism at the DT position for sure. Clancy, Young, and Thomas are all solid and I think in the first 3 rounds we only need one DT. Same goes for LB. Fujita and Vilma will both start, Shanle, Simoneau and Morgan all have been starters before but I would be much happier with them as depth to a young athletic rookie if he is good enough to take their job from them. If we get a LB and a DT in the first 3 rounds they will either be the depth or we have decent former starters to be their depth so I see no reason to grab 2 of either position.

Taking BPA I would target DT, LB, RB, S, and OT.

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom