Saints fight to avoid disclosing emails in Catholic abuse crisis (MERGED) (1 Viewer)

[
"The advice was simple and never wavering. Be direct, open and fully transparent, while making sure that all law enforcement agencies were alerted. The New Orleans Saints, Greg Bensel and Mrs. Gayle Benson were and remain offended, disappointed and repulsed by the actions of certain past clergy. We remain steadfast in support of the victims who have suffered and pray for their continued healing."

That is an excerpt from: https://www.neworleanssaints.com/news/statement-from-the-new-orleans-saints
I saw it. But at the same time I wouldn't expect the people accused of assisting an institution the defends child molesting of claiming anything other than innocence. My post clearly prefaces my outrage with: "if true"

Edit: to the Mod team, sorry for swearing in my previous post. My bad.

I am concerned that the Archdiocese and the Saints won't give the emails over willingly, though. I guess if that happens, Greg Bensel (at minimum) has to summarily resign?

Regardless of the reasoning... why would anyone in a free society willingly give over thousands of emails for scrutiny, completely free of context?

That's not a crime, but it's the same thing as advising a child molester of the best way to beat the case. It's despicable behavior that should be and would be condemned by society.
They were advising on how to release the names of the priests who were guilty, not cover it up. What's despicable about that? Especially considering the Saints have come out and said that their advice was to release the names publicly and notify all the pertinent law enforcement agencies. This all happened in 2018. The names were released in the newspaper and the priests who aren't dead were defrocked and face charges.

Regardless of the reasoning... why would anyone in a free society willingly give over thousands of emails for scrutiny, completely free of context?
They’re not going after the Saints. They wanna use the emails to show the Church was more concerned with PR and it’s image than helping the victims.

Read the statement...still very disappointed that the Saints went into the relationship. It was stupid...regardless of their role or their intentions. They've bought this heat. I doubt anything legally will come of this...but it still is yet another black eye for the franchise.

Read the statement...still very disappointed that the Saints went into the relationship. It was stupid...regardless of their role or their intentions. They've bought this heat. I doubt anything legally will come of this...but it still is yet another black eye for the franchise.
Agreed. I think the franchise should be kept separate from the religious institutions or anyone’s beliefs.

They likely didn't do anything illegal, but there remains something insidious about "softening the blow" of the release of names of those credibly accused of child molestation. Soften the blow for whom? The Archdiocese. That's gross and ought to be beneath the Church.

Agree. I really don’t have a problem with Bensel offering advice, but it should not have been done through the team email.

They likely didn't do anything illegal, but there remains something insidious about "softening the blow" of the release of names of those credibly accused of child molestation. Soften the blow for whom? The Archdiocese. That's gross and ought to be beneath the Church.
Sorry to steer this towards a religious discussion, but that Catholic Church has been concerned about its image since the early 00s when the first cases came to light.
Being at a Catholic elementary school at the time, there was a big notion of “Say nothing and ignore” going on at the time.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom