Saints fight to avoid disclosing emails in Catholic abuse crisis (MERGED) (3 Viewers)

This seems obtuse to me, like the media is attempting to turn the population against us again so nobody will care if we get done dirty. We went 13 - 4 against other teams and the refs. Now it seems like we may have to play against the media also. It is truly us against the world
This has nothing to do with the media. If the Saints kept the religious institutions out of the franchise, you wouldn’t hear anything.

This has nothing to do with the media. If the Saints kept the religious institutions out of the franchise, you wouldn’t hear anything.
It's on a media outlet. The title sliced us up pretty good. Falcons trolls are on it like ants on a steak. Coincidentally, it's almost eight years after the bountygate garbage (emails again). I mean, you could say "bountygate had nothing to do with the media. If the Saints kept away from bounty discussions in their emails, we wouldn't hear anything". See where I'm going with this?

It's on a media outlet. The title sliced us up pretty good. Falcons trolls are on it like ants on a steak. Coincidentally, it's almost eight years after the bountygate garbage (emails again). I mean, you could say "bountygate had nothing to do with the media. If the Saints kept away from bounty discussions in their emails, we wouldn't hear anything". See where I'm going with this?
It was the Saints fault they emailed back. You can’t blame the media for every bad story.

Last edited:
It was the Saints fault they emailed back. You can’t blame the media for every bad story.
Dude, did you read the title? How do you not see how obtuse that is? Hey, just answer this one question for me please. Were the Saints at fault for bountygate?

Dude, did you read the title? How do you not see how obtuse that is? Hey, just answer this one question for me please. Were the Saints at fault for bountygate?
The AP story was written before the Saints statement. Now that it’s been about 12 hours since and it doesn’t seem as bad as it was this morning. No employees said to hide any names. No players. No coaches. The League hasn’t made a statement yet, so that means that there is probably nothing more.
The team should just release the emails and severe all ties to the Church.

Why the hell are we tied to the church in the first place?

That's totally absurd.

We are a professional football organization.

While I'm not sure of the extent of the ties to the church, I do think people in the organization do have personal ties, particularly the Benson family. It seems the extent of this is the Saints offering to advise the church to be frank and open about the list and proceed accordingly. I don't see what's wrong with that advice.

It's not like the church and the Saints are partners. I do think offering that advice in a formal capacity wasn't a good idea to begin with though. The Saints would do well to steer clear of this in the future. It's not like the staff can't offer personal advice in an informal capacity. But do it on their own time, not as employees of the Saints.

Just a thought.

Trust and believe that we have haters that won't let this die, even if we go above and beyond
Who? Atlanta? They hate the Saints already.
The League? Trust me, the League doesn’t want any team connected to something like sex abuse. That’s why the League not issuing a statement is a sign that it’s most likely not as bad as this morning when the AP first reported it.

While I don’t deny there are good people in the service of the Catholic Church, lets be real. The tax-avoiding frauds at the top of the organisation have always been concerned with the accrual of wealth, property and influence at the expense of the actual morals and ethics they purport to teach. The leadership of the organisation is as close to God as I am to the sun.

For generations they have hidden behind complex legal structures devoid of any assets that have made it almost impossible for victims of abuse to sue and get any meaningful compensation for their suffering, all the while moving known pedophiles around the church network rather than assisting to bring them to justice.

The former Archbishop of Melbourne down here in Australia, who rose through the ranks to become the third most senior person in the Vatican, was last year jailed for pedophilia. This is the same person who oversaw the “Melbourne Response” which was a tepid inquiry that uncovered very little and resulted in the payment of meagre settlement sums to victims on the condition of confidentiality and a full release (unfortunately for most this was preferable to suing a corporate shell with no money).

So my personal issue is not whether or not the Saints gave the Archdiocese ethical or unethical advice, or told them to disclose or withhold certain names, or frame public statements in a particular way. My issue is with the team having any ongoing formal or informal relationship with this institution, the leadership of which has made a really good fist of ruining the lives of countless innocent children and protecting those who have been responsible.

I’ve always been uncomfortable with the relationship between the top brass at the Saints and the leadership of the Church but something like this elicits full-blown anger. They will get past it in due course, and nothing of note will happen to Mrs Benson, but I am hopeful someone has her ear and can persuade her how bad this looks for a professional football team.

Last edited:
You must have scored very low on comprehension tests. The Saints aren't accused of any cover-up. The "journalist" gave the "article" a click bait, very misleading title, for those who have zero comprehension skills (or those who refuse to go through the mental sweat of actually reading the article in the first place) to perpetuate the idiocracy that the title implies yet the "article" doesn't come close to substantiating.

It's not a cover-up when the entire substance is concerning being advised how to best make public the names of all who were credibly accused, without causing further damage to the victims and the faithful.

They weren't asking, nor are they accused of asking how to not make the list public, nor how to avoid releasing all the names.

We don’t know the details. We are HOPING that’s there furthest extent of involvement. But either way, bad decision by the organization to buy this.

We don’t know the details. We are HOPING that’s there furthest extent of involvement. But either way, bad decision by the organization to buy this.
If the Saints were really connected or suspected of covering up, I’d think they would’ve been named in a lawsuit.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom