Saints fight to avoid disclosing emails in Catholic abuse crisis (MERGED) (1 Viewer)

One point everyone here seems to be missing is that the saints turned over the emails in discovery to the plaintiff lawyers. This dispute seems to be over those plaintiff lawyers wanting to make the emails public to help their case. The saints aren’t hiding anything. They’re just asking the court not to allow public dissemination of the emails until the court determines that it is appropriate to do so.

The plaintiff lawyers just want to publish the emails to help their case. In other words, they’re strategizing to get the most money they can. Like just about every other public “scandal,” you’ll find the real answer if you follow the money.

On what grounds? The New Orleans Saints, as an entity, had zero involvement with anything unbecoming. People who own and/or work for the Saints advised a personal friend in an area they had expertise on. The Catholic Church has 300,000 churches across the world, and has existed since circa 33 A.D. Good thing the majority of Christians didn't "remove any association with the Church" after every Judas, or there wouldn't be a deposit of faith 2,000 years later.

Pedophilia is inexcusable in every circumstance, and I'd be tempted to take justice into my own hands if it every happened to anyone I love; that said, it's a societal problem and not exclusive to the Catholic Church. In fact, it occurs in far greater numbers outside the Catholic Church than inside. I'm not giving anybody a pass; I'm simply stating that all religious - Catholic Priests, Protestant Pastors, ___ Ministers - they all come from you and me; they don't grow on trees. We raise them, and if, as a society, we have a disordered sexuality that includes every perversion and deviation, then we can expect to find that in every occupation, even those we hold to higher standards.

I think we can all agree with that, just like I think we can all agree that anyone who tried to cover up pedophilia should be prosecuted to the full. But those aren't the people whom Saints owners/personnel were assisting. The very small percentage of scum who called themselves priests and bishops who committed these crimes will most likely have a very uncomfortable enternity - they earned it. But what they did will never ruin the Church Christ started. We've had terrible men in the highest positions try to ruin the church from within over the last two millinea and fail. Darkness can't overcome the light. I don't care for the Judas' we've had throughout the ages, but a Judas doesn't change what a Jesus did, nor the sacraments He gives in His Church, nor the truth's she adheres to and teaches.

If my parish priest was a total Judas, I'd probably attend mass elsewhere, but I'd also pray for him. Last thing I'd do would be to abandon my religion - terrible priests and administrators can't erase the deposit of faith, or make the truths of faith any less true; no matter how much they try to destruct, they can't stop God from giving His grace in the sacraments. I'm a proud Catholic, and a proud Saints fan, and if anyone associated with either does something as heinous and wrong as pedolphila and a cover-up, I believe they should be punished to the full, but those donkey's aren't going to make me stop loving and believing in my Church and my team.
On the grounds that they are a football organization and not a religious one.
On the grounds that the catholic church is a wholly distasteful organization, hoarding billions of dollars in wealth while preaching piety and raping boys.
On the grounds that the catholic church are the number one authority in the world in how to deal with the PR fallout from paedophilia. They do it all the time and should continue doing it on their own steam.

Don’t know if it’s been said

in an espn article it was stated the emails were sent with the nfl.com logo which may violate nfl rules and polices

one can debate as individuals who, when and when to stop supporting

Any advice given can be given as individuals and carry the same weight

why do this as an organization

“The advice was simple and never wavering. Be direct, open and fully transparent, while making sure that all law enforcement agencies were alerted,” the team said.

Seems ok to me.

The Catholic Church needed to seek out a third party to get this obvious advice?

It makes you wonder what they were hoping to hear

One point everyone here seems to be missing is that the saints turned over the emails in discovery to the plaintiff lawyers. This dispute seems to be over those plaintiff lawyers wanting to make the emails public to help their case. The saints aren’t hiding anything. They’re just asking the court not to allow public dissemination of the emails until the court determines that it is appropriate to do so.

The plaintiff lawyers just want to publish the emails to help their case. In other words, they’re strategizing to get the most money they can. Like just about every other public “scandal,” you’ll find the real answer if you follow the money.
^^^^This.

The Catholic Church needed to seek out a third party to get this obvious advice?

It makes you wonder what they were hoping to hear

This is an *excellent* point. I believe the Saints when they say their advice was relatively innocuous, all things considered. I also believe that they recommended the Archdiocese should be completely open. It does strike me as quite disgusting, though, that the Archdiocese sought help to "soften the blow." My beef in this is not really with the Saints; rather, it's with the Archdiocese, who continues to try and handle this not like a church, but like a corporation.

Evil touched you classmates; i'm sorry they havent been able to heal from that. I know people who were healed from those deep wounds, and they happen to be very Catholic; that's beside the point though. They let God heal that wound, take away what they carried for years, and allowed forgiveness into their hearts.

Beside the point? Then not sure why you would mention it....sorry they haven't been able to heal from that? But I know folks that have? That statement sickens me....

My beef in this is not really with the Saints; rather, it's with the Archdiocese, who continues to try and handle this not like a church, but like a corporation.

Call me a pessimist, but I think there are a lot of corporations that are more "moral" than the Catholic church....

On the grounds that the catholic church is a wholly distasteful organization, [1] hoarding billions of dollars in wealth while [2] preaching piety and raping boys.
You left out (3) the suppression of science and (4) the persecution of non-believers.

And (5) fanatical devotion to the P

Oh bugger!

Exactly right. The attorneys don’t want these released for justice, they want them released for their own PR purposes—draw attention, which is always going to be negative for the Archdiocese in a case like this, and because the Saints may pressure the Archdiocese to settle and keep them out of this mess (whether they’ve done anything wrong or not). It’s a litigation tactic, and nothing more.

the Archdiocese, who continues to try and handle this not like a church, but like a corporation.
They are a corporation though. The only difference is they don't pay tax and as of late, that isn't really any different than a major corporation either.

Well, over here in Buc fan land most of us are in agreement that this is just a money grab attempt by the lawyers. Like Your owners just gave some PR advice after the fact but the attorneys now have a deep pocketed target with a connection to the case they can shakedown because they will pay just to protect their brand. So it isn't just you Saint fans that smell a rat here. Our cancel culture society makes this stuff work, but I think people are getting wise to the con now.

Well, over here in Buc fan land most of us are in agreement that this is just a money grab attempt by the lawyers ... Our cancel culture ociety makes this stuff work, but I think people are getting wise to the con now.
Was very notable that very few major news outlets has picked it up. The Washington Post and Sporting News have both done a piece ... all I've seen so far.

Google News curates their news fairly deeply ... and even they don't show this story in their Sports Headlines section (not even the WaPo piece) unless you do a specific search for it.

Agreed. The Church needs to stop acting like this is some internal corporate matter and just let it all be on display. Then deal with the ramifications. Not sure why you think we are on opposing sides here.
We are in agreement here, for certain! I was talking in terms of criminal terms, not just from a civil standpoint.

Was very notable that very few major news outlets has picked it up. The Washington Post and Sporting News have both done a piece ... all I've seen so far.

Google News curates their news fairly deeply ... and even they don't show this story in their Sports Headlines section (not even the WaPo piece) unless you do a specific search for it.
If there was a strong connection, like a coverup, this would be the number one story in the nation. The League would’ve made a statement.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom