Saints fight to avoid disclosing emails in Catholic abuse crisis (MERGED) (4 Viewers)

1) the NFL bylaws dictate that teams must be owned by individuals, not by incorporated entities or non-profit organizations. If owned by a group of individuals, one must have greater than a 50% in the team.

I’m not doubting you, because I simply dont know.. but how does one explain the GB Packers? Were they just grandfathered in?

I’m not doubting you, because I simply dont know.. but how does one explain the GB Packers? We’re they just grandfathered in?
Yes, they were grandfathered in -- I had meant to point out that they were the one exception.

I’m not doubting you, because I simply dont know.. but how does one explain the GB Packers? We’re they just grandfathered in?
They’re grandfathered in. It says if they ever want to get rid of the stockholders, they have to disband the franchise.

Okay then i guess we can end the speculation and worrying.. If it’s not possible for the Saints (or any team) to be owned by an archdiocese, then we can rest easy knowing we wont have a bunch of criminals and pedophile enablers running the franchise.

Good to know.
Even if they allowed them to get the team with one figurehead owning more than 50%, there is no way the League would approve a religious organization to get the team.
Most likely, a billionaire would come and get it. Hopefully a competent one.

Most likely, a billionaire would come and get it. Hopefully a LOCAL one.

Fixed.

Actually there arent many pockets that deep locally, but maybe one who would at least keep the team local.. we’ve been through all that before.

But i’m guessing there are already succession plans in place for after Gayle, but they just haven’t been made public yet since the Saints arent a public company and there’s no requirement to release those plans.. I’d be very surprised if it’s all just up in the air, like if Gayle were to perish in a helicopter tomorrow, no one has a clue what would happen(?) I just cant see it.

I screwed up on the 50% thing. There has to be one person owning a 30% interest, so designated the 'managing general partner'.

Fixed.

Actually there arent many pockets that deep locally, but maybe one who would at least keep the team local.. we’ve been through all that before.

But i’m guessing there are already succession plans in place for after Gayle, but they just haven’t been made public yet since the Saints arent a public company and there’s no requirement to release those plans.. I’d be very surprised if it’s all just up in the air, like if Gayle were to perish in a helicopter tomorrow, no one has a clue what would happen(?) I just cant see it.
I don’t think you have to worry about an out of state billionaire.
Before 05, I would agree, but the Saints brand has grown into one of the tops in the League.

Fixed.

I can't find anything that says that Gayle Benson has any children. I can't imagine where the Benson fortune goes after Gayle's death. Wouldn't it be something if it were willed to go to Payton, Lauscha, Loomis and/or other top Saints brass?

I can't find anything that says that Gayle Benson has any children. I can't imagine where the Benson fortune goes after Gayle's death. Wouldn't it be something if it were willed to go to Payton, Lauscha, Loomis and/or other top Saints brass?
That would be more on the ridiculous side. But crazier things have happened.

That would be more on the ridiculous side. But crazier things have happened.
That would be more ridiculous that leaving it to the Archdiocese? Isn't it possible that Tom Benson looked upon these people as "family" who helped lead his team in a better direction and were more faithful to him than even his own children and grandchildren?

In the updates, it says the NFL will not investigate unless something comes out in the emails.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.sp...egations-explained/1ftfs6334v4ii1i3ury5dqwag1

UPDATE, Jan. 29: The Athletic, citing a league source, reported (subscription required) that the NFL will not investigate the Saints' interactions with the archdiocese unless the emails, if made public, show troublesome actions by the team. "The NFL finds the behavior of the deacon repugnant but based on available evidence the Saints did nothing wrong, this source said," The Athletic's Daniel Kaplan wrote.

A hearing is scheduled for Friday.

I think part of the difference here too is the size difference and how centralized the Vatican is. Sexual assault, and subsequent covering up, is definitely happening in schools (public, private, etc) at a rate that's not unlike the catholic church. And yes everyone involved in such cover ups should be fired and sued.
What about jailed instead of being paid off like usual , because they have money are they above the law?

NEW ORLEANS (AP) — The New Orleans Saints maintain their behind-the-scenes public relations work on the area’s Roman Catholic sexual abuse crisis was “minimal,” but attorneys suing the church allege hundreds of confidential Saints emails show the team actively helping to shape a list of credibly accused clergy that appears to be an undercount.
New court papers filed this week by lawyers for about two dozen men making sexual abuse claims against the Archdiocese of New Orleans gave the most detailed description yet of the emails that have rocked the NFL team and remain shielded from the public.

“This goes beyond public relations,” the attorneys wrote, accusing the Saints of issuing misleading statements saying their work for the archdiocese involved only “messaging” and handling media inquiries as part of the 2018 release of the clergy names.

Instead, they wrote, “The Saints appear to have had a hand in determining which names should or should not have been included on the pedophile list.”...........

NEW ORLEANS (AP) — The New Orleans Saints maintain their behind-the-scenes public relations work on the area’s Roman Catholic sexual abuse crisis was “minimal,” but attorneys suing the church allege hundreds of confidential Saints emails show the team actively helping to shape a list of credibly accused clergy that appears to be an undercount.
New court papers filed this week by lawyers for about two dozen men making sexual abuse claims against the Archdiocese of New Orleans gave the most detailed description yet of the emails that have rocked the NFL team and remain shielded from the public.

“This goes beyond public relations,” the attorneys wrote, accusing the Saints of issuing misleading statements saying their work for the archdiocese involved only “messaging” and handling media inquiries as part of the 2018 release of the clergy names.

Instead, they wrote, “The Saints appear to have had a hand in determining which names should or should not have been included on the pedophile list.”...........

Terrible, terrible look.

Just on optics alone, this has the potential to turn into a disaster... as a season ticket holder and a fan since Archie Manning was under center, i hope it doesnt.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom