Article Saints Film Room: A breakdown of Drew Brees’ record setting throw, the All Go Special + Marcus Davenport video Film Study (1 Viewer)

RevDeuceWindham

Player Evaluator/Analyst for The Athletic
Approved Blogger
Reaction score
Gun King Trips Right Terrapin, 52 Sway, All Go Special, X Shallow Cross, H Wide

This was the call (pulled from post-game audio) that put Drew Brees ahead of Peyton Manning for the NFL’s all-time passing record. I've been trying to pair these articles with video film studies for those of you who have yet to subscribe to The Athletic (try the free trial, I think you'll want to stay!), but I was just too excited about this one. As a Saints fan, and now working to cover the team, I'll admit I got a little emotional when the play happened. Thoroughly enjoyed breaking it down and hope you guys/gals enjoy it as well! As tradition, some notes:

-Saints ran the play previously, Redskins failed to adjust
-Kamara, even on an "off" night is just as deadly as a decoy
-Saints OL is quietly one of the best in the NFL. Pass protect was superb.
-Drew Brees is the GOAT. There. I said it.

Saints Film Room: A breakdown of the play on Drew Brees'...

View: https://youtu.be/d6LVwoKtMB0

Last edited:
Thanks as always big gulper. ?

ETA:
That was fantastic Rev. You are very good at what you do. I will end up paying for the Athletic because of you.
MD will be a full on beast. He’s a man child. Or as Swimmer would say, a MANSTER.

Last edited:
Deuce - great write up on the record-breaking play. I didn't realize the big gainer to Meredith earlier in the game had been the same play.

I have a question though, on the first part of the play call "Gun King Trips Right Terrapin", what does the terrapin designate? Thx

Thanks as always big gulper. ?

ETA:
That was fantastic Rev. You are very good at what you do. I will end up paying for the Athletic because of you.
MD will be a full on beast. He’s a man child. Or as Swimmer would say, a MANSTER.

Glad you enjoyed it!

Deuce - great write up on the record-breaking play. I didn't realize the big gainer to Meredith earlier in the game had been the same play.

I have a question though, on the first part of the play call "Gun King Trips Right Terrapin", what does the terrapin designate? Thx

The King + Terrapin calls are formation calls unique to the Saints, and they change them regularly. I can't say for certain what they are, but likely regard MT + AK's alignments .

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom