Saints Film Room: All-22 is out. Want to know about a play/coverage from the Bucs game? Let's discuss! (1 Viewer)

RevDeuceWindham

Player Evaluator/Analyst for The Athletic
Approved Blogger
Reaction score
Since this game had tons of great plays I'll start with one and then we can build on from there if you like!

Dennis Allen has run Cover 4 (Quarters) coverage quite a bit the past couple of years, and it takes good fundamentals to pull it off. A great pass rush doesn't hurt. The idea is simple: put 4 players deep to defend vertical concepts. That's what DA believes is going to happen on 2nd and 8 from the 4 in the 1st Quarter and calls it accordingly. Antonio Brown is going to use a technique called a "dino stem" to try and push Janoris Jenkins outside before cutting back inside on his vertical route. The dagger concept as a whole (explained in video) draws Marcus Williams down from his middle of the field position which puts Jenkins on an island. He responds with perfect coverage and good recovery speed to match what Brown is doing as he breaks at the top of his route. Pressure from T-Rex (so proud my nickname has stuck lol) and Davenport pressure Brady and the pass falls incomplete.

View attachment 2020-11-09 18-02-50.mp4

So you can just add this one to the list of players where Cameron Jordan just became 100% Disrespectful. Decided to teach the rookie about bull rushing, I guess. Wirf is using a technique called a 45 set to try and take away Jordan's angle to the quarterback. The RB (28) doesn't get out the way and his legs are right behind Wirf but I'm not sure it would have even matter as Jordan just attacked with pure power. Something we didn't see earlier in the season.

Also, watch Onyemata in the middle against the center here. This is a great play to show how he's improved. Crossing A gaps is a difficult task to make sure that the center doesn't get ahold of you, but in that same time 93 got great initial hand placement and took control of the center's chest while moving vertically into the pocket and heading toward's Brady. At the point Brady hit's his drop Onyemata has already won the rep due to phenomenal hand placement. Once he's taken leverage he uses a rip underneath to clear the outside arm and is in Brady's face as he throws.

Two great plays/players

View attachment 2020-11-09 18-22-24.mp4

Thanks for posting these, always enjoy your insights. I had a question on a play at the end of the half where Brady overthrew a diving Gronk. Was that a breakdown that we got away with or was it not as close to succeeding as it appeared on tv?

Thanks for posting these, always enjoy your insights. I had a question on a play at the end of the half where Brady overthrew a diving Gronk. Was that a breakdown that we got away with or was it not as close to succeeding as it appeared on tv?

Looks like the Saints went into Cover 6 here with P.J. Williams have deep responsibility that he blows. Now, can't be 100% sure on this one as the blitz packages they run can make coverage assignments tricky, but I believe this is C6. Either way it was definitely a blown coverage and one of the first (and only) of the night. I talk a bout it here for you!

View attachment 2020-11-09 18-44-16 (1).mp4

Looks like the Saints went into Cover 6 here with P.J. Williams have deep responsibility that he blows. Now, can't be 100% sure on this one as the blitz packages they run can make coverage assignments tricky, but I believe this is C6. Either way it was definitely a blown coverage and one of the first (and only) of the night. I talk a bout it here for you!

View attachment 2020-11-09 18-44-16 (1).mp4
Oof. That can easily hurt us when we play Rodgers, Russ, or Murray. The secondary HAS to be better.

Yes the D Line being great will mask it tremendously but we can’t get too cocky with our progress and set ourselves up for another blown coverage in the playoffs with our season on the line.

Oof. That can easily hurt us when we play Rodgers, Russ, or Murray. The secondary HAS to be better.

Yes the D Line being great will mask it tremendously but we can’t get too cocky with our progress and set ourselves up for another blown coverage in the playoffs with our season on the line.
For sure a legitimate concern, but the coverage was great almost the entire night. For example look at this Cover 2 vs the Tampa 2 minute drill(I may have internally chuckled at the previous sentence because of nerdy football reasons). Perfect coverage by everyone and even a roaming Marcus Williams that comes over to make an interception.

Communication is key and it seemed to be vastly improved last night. You don't hold Tampa's offense and Brady to 3 points on good DL play alone.

View attachment 2020-11-09 19-00-49 (1).mp4

For sure a legitimate concern, but the coverage was great almost the entire night. For example look at this Cover 2 vs the Tampa 2 minute drill(I may have internally chuckled at the previous sentence because of nerdy football reasons). Perfect coverage by everyone and even a roaming Marcus Williams that comes over to make an interception.

Communication is key and it seemed to be vastly improved last night. You don't hold Tampa's offense and Brady to 3 points on good DL play alone.

Encouraging. The progress has definitely been a welcome sight.

@RevDeuceWindham woohoo! The only times I like being in a Study forum! Thanks ✌️!

Ugh! Why do Williams seems to always bite on the low stuff?! CD deuce had that in route covered. He's a FS. Defend the deepest of the DEEP!😤 Heroball.

Cam being Cam & David O. Is becoming a problem!

Sweringer >>PJ.. 🤦‍♂️

Last edited:

This is great stuff.

It feels like this kinda stuff could build trust moving forward and perhaps make this sustainable, correct?

Not talking about expecting 3-point performances every week, of course. But I’d imagine communication and trust would be key to eliminating the kinds of breakdowns we’ve seen.

I am really curious what the Saints saw that made the first touchdown to TQS work so well. Everyone bit on Alvin. Did we see a tendency that the Bucs key on the RB in that situation or maybe in-game show that they were keying on Alvin. Or is it because we run that play so often with TQS blocking and AK getting the ball that we knew they would think that was what it was.

Just always curious what goes in to putting a game plan together that turned out to be so brilliant.

Hey Rev. We discussed this the other day regarding Brees and the oline. Brees looks more comfortable this game than previous. He went more vertical. This was never about arm strength. Do you see the same thing?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom