Video Saints Film Room: Breaking down some offensive line, defense, and of course Taysom Hill! (1 Viewer)

RevDeuceWindham

Player Evaluator/Analyst for The Athletic
Approved Blogger
Reaction score
1. T-Rex is getting himself paid, and we have to go back to physics class to learn how this technical master is on pace for 15+ sacks for the Saints. My only issue is that he truly is pricing himself out of New Orleans without him taking a severe home town discount, but the good news is what he's doing right now. He's part of a DL unit who are playing at an extremely high level and have been since Week 1.
-Understand your own, and LTs, center of gravity
-Exploding out low
-Hand placement to transfer power
-Create the fulcrum! -Drive

View attachment 2020-11-23 19-29-09 (1).mp4

Best pass by QB Taysom Hill, ever? I explain why here. In terms of QB difficulty on passes I'd say this is maybe a 6 or 7 and he nails it. There are a lot of things in this game that Taysom did so well, and even though they severely limited what they gave him (all designed throws or 1/2 field reads. Wanted him to not having to make many decisions to speed up processing)
Keys:
Identify pressure before finishing drop
Maintain eyes on primary read
Pocket slide to buy time
Maintain mechanics + deliver perfect throw
View attachment 2020-11-23 19-12-56 (1).mp4

3 Want to see plays that show Hill's development as a passer? Well let's start with this pivot route to TE Adam Trautman. This comes down to timing (and why it's important to get those 1st reps!) and knowing where something is going to work open backside. Essentially, Hill just has to sell it really well. He holds the LB to the slant and at the perfect time turns to hit the pivot route to Trautman.

View attachment 2020-11-23 19-03-04 (1).mp4

4 LG Andrus Peat is healthy (only played 18 snaps vs Falcons) he has had arguably the best year of career. As Duke likes to teach: Strike. Leverage. Drive. Finish. (warning I get excited with my language a bit.
-Great initial hand placement
-Controls/Creates leverage at POA
-Drives him north
-Finishes into turf

View attachment 2020-11-23 21-31-51.mp4

He got paid. He got better. How often can you say that happens? Great play by
NFL_2020_2021_Saints.png
Andrus Peat in pass pro. Beat him with an inside move earlier then they try again few plays later.
-React to inside move/attack shoulder
-Maintain leverage
-Footwork! Reset base!
-Clear out
View attachment 2020-11-23 21-46-06.mp4

How good is the Saints
NFL_2020_2021_Saints.png
defense playing? They're dominating because depth is playing at an extremely high level. This David Onyemata sack is a great example. The depth is playing the coverage assignments so well that you can run your full defense. This means pre and post snap rotations that change the look you provide the quarterback. On this play, there is rotation bu P.J. Williams into primary deep safety while we still have P-Rob on Julio Jones (due to lattimore's injury). This is a standard Dennis Allen rotation that you might be hesitant to run without your star plays on the field. Defense wins championships? Depth wins championships just as much.
View attachment 2020-11-23 21-09-41.mp4

There are a few plays, and if there are more you'd like to see let me know so we can go through them. Was a really fun game that I just kept going back through because I enjoyed watching it so much on both sides of the field. I did a film study on the Patreon page where I went through every play Taysom Hill faced going through his playcalls, how they designed the gameplan for him, and how he had success. Can't wait to chat with all of you!

Great stuff Rev as always! Taysom's deep ball is a little concerning. He has the arm, but can't seem to connect. Those two balls he threw to Sanders were woefully underthrown. Maybe he just needs more game experience.

Outstanding.

I think you should mention Taysom’s footwork on the Trautman pass.
Super quick, very definitive switch when he goes to Trautman, feet first, everything follows.

Rev, many thanks for this. I would love to see any breakdown of a Latavious Murray run.

Thanks in advance.

talking about the depth in the DBs is probably the biggest shock of all in this D. For several years it seems we have had to be scared to death of anyone coming off the bench because there was a huge drop off. This is going to be a key factor down the stretch because every year at the end of the year someone is sitting or not playing at 100% One more reason I would not trade this D for any other teams right now.

Nice stuff Rev Deuce.

Agreed on Peat and pass pro, I thought he's been pretty solid this year. Everyone gets beat from time to time, but for the most part he's been locking it down.

Thanks Duece...I always appreciate your film breakdowns and insights. Please keep it up my friend.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom