Article Saints Film Room: Defense starting to match offense's dominance. 5 play film breakdown (1 Viewer)

RevDeuceWindham

Player Evaluator/Analyst for The Athletic
Approved Blogger
Reaction score
Saints Film Room: D matches O's dominance against Bengals. We know what the offense can provide, but now that Allen's defense has consistently performed well heading into the 2nd half the season their chances to make a deep run are the highest in years. Rankins in particular has taken quite the leap. Notes:

-How Allen is playing M. Williams, and why it's working
-Apple an improvement over previous CB2 play
-Coverage sacks?!?!?
-Initial drive struggles continue
-Rankins having the best season at 3T since arguably La'Roi Glover
-5 Plays with film breakdown

Scripted plays be damned, there’s a lot to like about Saints improved defense

thanks for posting, I will watch the video when I get home tonight.

so his D's are late bloomers both in regards to the season and in individual games. At this point, I am just glad they bloom at all. It is going to be a fun stretch run.

Saints Film Room: D matches O's dominance against Bengals. We know what the offense can provide, but now that Allen's defense has consistently performed well heading into the 2nd half the season their chances to make a deep run are the highest in years. Rankins in particular has taken quite the leap. Notes:

-How Allen is playing M. Williams, and why it's working
-Apple an improvement over previous CB2 play
-Coverage sacks?!?!?
-Initial drive struggles continue
-Rankins having the best season at 3T since arguably La'Roi Glover
-5 Plays with film breakdown

Scripted plays be damned, there’s a lot to like about Saints improved defense

Great as always Rev.
Let’s flip the script.

Fantastic job by the D, either way. Quite impressed. Cincy D is bad, but that O even without AJ is very capable.

To me, it’s another team we just wore down and broke them mentally and physically. I can’t predict injuries or the future, but this year’s team is special.
Tough, and special. Imo.

Hey Rev, does Rankins play the 3T as Demarco Farr and John Randle? I’m an not incredibly familiar with all the intricate details of the game, but I just remember those two guys being extremely dominant, and I wanted to know if those were guys who Sheldon should try emulating?

Thanks! Keep up the great work.

thanks for posting, I will watch the video when I get home tonight.

so his D's are late bloomers both in regards to the season and in individual games. At this point, I am just glad they bloom at all. It is going to be a fun stretch run.

Should have a video on this out tomorrow morning. Allen does seem to be more reactive than proactive, but hey as long as it works.

Great as always Rev.
Let’s flip the script.

Fantastic job by the D, either way. Quite impressed. Cincy D is bad, but that O even without AJ is very capable.

To me, it’s another team we just wore down and broke them mentally and physically. I can’t predict injuries or the future, but this year’s team is special.
Tough, and special. Imo.

Just a game that won in every area. Only way you have those dominant blowouts.

Hey Rev, does Rankins play the 3T as Demarco Farr and John Randle? I’m an not incredibly familiar with all the intricate details of the game, but I just remember those two guys being extremely dominant, and I wanted to know if those were guys who Sheldon should try emulating?

Thanks! Keep up the great work.

No idea on Farr, and Randle did play 3T if memory serves. Keep in mind I was in elementary school when those guys were playing. Aaron Donald is a 3T, Gerald McCoy another. I know Rankins has great respect for Donald, and studies him.

Another real good one! Thanks!

Thank you! Glad you enjoyed it!

Rankins is finally showing up on the stat sheet, but he's been steadily improving as an interior lineman since missing the first half of his rookie season. That being said, he's definitely took a leap in this his 3rd season. Rev, I think I remember you calling that the year we drafted him.

Onyemata's getting better too it seams. Maybe he'll never be Rankins or Fairley, but he's definitely a nasty booger with a mean streak.

As always enjoyed the article. I like the point you make about Dennis Allen being reactive. I wonder if this is by design? I mean, I'm sure he'd like to come out and dominate from the first game of the season or the first series in a game... But it happens so often that we come out jabbing and then draw up a game plan in the dirt and start swinging, that maybe it IS just how he does it.

Rankins is finally showing up on the stat sheet, but he's been steadily improving as an interior lineman since missing the first half of his rookie season. That being said, he's definitely took a leap in this his 3rd season. Rev, I think I remember you calling that the year we drafted him.

Onyemata's getting better too it seams. Maybe he'll never be Rankins or Fairley, but he's definitely a nasty booger with a mean streak.

As always enjoyed the article. I like the point you make about Dennis Allen being reactive. I wonder if this is by design? I mean, I'm sure he'd like to come out and dominate from the first game of the season or the first series in a game... But it happens so often that we come out jabbing and then draw up a game plan in the dirt and start swinging, that maybe it IS just how he does it.

The D is simply not a dominant one right now. But the good news is that after such a poor start, both DA and his D are gettin better.

From everything I’ve seen and read, DA turned his D around by simplifying things, going with more zone coverages, and bringing in Apple to man the #2 CB spot over Crawley who historically struggled in zone.

And seems it’s paying off. Apple had one pick in his career, got one, and easily should have had 2 in only his 3rd start against Cincy. And Marcus is gettin a lil more help with an added safety back from time to time, and will have more chances to make big plays.

But like others have said, u gotta give big props to Coach Nolan for sticking with Anzalone, and giving him needed reps n play at MLB. He was lookin lost for much of the season, and folks were callin for Craig to take his spot. But Coach stayed with him, and the game is finally startin to slow down for AA.

Hope he keeps it up!

Combined with Demario Davis, this would be the most athletic pair of LBs we’ve had in a loong time!!!

The D is simply not a dominant one right now.

In the article from Coach Pete early last week, he spent a lot of time analyzing the state of the NFL and the state of NFL defenses.

With all the new pass happy, concussion based rules passed and continuing to be passed yearly, "dominant defenses," may not exist anymore against the modern, "weapons loaded," rules backed top offenses. Coach Pete says that Bend-but-Don't-Break defenses may be the state of top defenses today and for years to come.

We may very well be in the era of offensive track meets. And could we have a better coach for this era? I don't think so.

Of all of the crazy, over-the-top celebrations that players do, Rankins' subtle shoulder shimmy is simply the best. I hope to see it more and more often.

Last edited:
In the article from Coach Pete early last week, he spent a lot of time analyzing the state of the NFL and the state of NFL defenses.

With all the new pass happy, concussion based rules passed and continuing to be passed yearly, "dominant defenses," may not exist anymore against the modern, "weapons loaded," rules backed top offenses. Coach Pete says that Bend-but-Don't-Break defenses may be the state of top defenses today and for years to come.

We may very well be in the era of offensive track meets. And could we have a better coach for this era? I don't think so.

Morning Swim.
Good points, and generally agree.
I’d counter though that some teams are still playing pretty well defensively..albeit you’re right not 2000 Ravens or 85 Bear level.

I assume there’s some simple metric showing the Saints O is successful 60-70% of the time so D just need to be successful 35-45%
Or some such

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom