Article Saints Film Room: Marcus Davenport is playing a lot better than you think (1 Viewer)

RevDeuceWindham

Player Evaluator/Analyst for The Athletic
Approved Blogger
Reaction score
Hey Who Dats! Got another one for you. I break down all 6 sacks from the Monday Night win against the Texans. If you've got questions, drop em below!

Link to Article: https://theathletic.com/1201350/201...nport-is-playing-a-lot-better-than-you-think/

Example of one of the six sacks:

One question swirling around Who Dat Nation is whether Marcus Davenport, the small school defensive end the Saints spent two first-round draft picks on to nab in 2018, is improving and pulling his weight. The only way he’ll satisfy fans is by filling up the box score. Meanwhile, his tape shows he’s probably keeping the coaches pretty happy.

Jordan got the first sack of the night, but it was Davenport playing the facilitator role that makes the play happen. Over the past couple of seasons, the Saints defensive line, primarily with Rankins and Jordan, has excelled when running twists/stunts to create pass rush lanes against opposing offensive lines. In this iteration Davenport is going to crash down inside against Houston (and former Saints) guard Senio Kelemete before altering his path upfield to take on tackle Laremy Tunsil. Davenport also manages to interrupt the running back’s block attempt, and anytime you can clear out three players in a stunt, you did a very good job.

View attachment 2019-09-10 21-13-56.mov

Good analysis. Thanks for posting. Even in the gameday thread and the "Third Round vs. Two Firsts" thread I was pointing out to people that even from the terrace, you could see MD wreaking havoc and moving Watson off his spot all night long. He'll get his. He played a great game against Houston. Just because it doesn't show up in the stat line doesn't mean he wasn't making life miserable for their OL.

Good stuff.

Watching the kiddos right now so I don’t have time to read the whole thing yet. But do you hit on his run defense?

Hey Who Dats! Got another one for you. I break down all 6 sacks from the Monday Night win against the Texans. If you've got questions, drop em below!

Link to Article: https://theathletic.com/1201350/201...nport-is-playing-a-lot-better-than-you-think/

Example of one of the six sacks:

One question swirling around Who Dat Nation is whether Marcus Davenport, the small school defensive end the Saints spent two first-round draft picks on to nab in 2018, is improving and pulling his weight. The only way he’ll satisfy fans is by filling up the box score. Meanwhile, his tape shows he’s probably keeping the coaches pretty happy.

Jordan got the first sack of the night, but it was Davenport playing the facilitator role that makes the play happen. Over the past couple of seasons, the Saints defensive line, primarily with Rankins and Jordan, has excelled when running twists/stunts to create pass rush lanes against opposing offensive lines. In this iteration Davenport is going to crash down inside against Houston (and former Saints) guard Senio Kelemete before altering his path upfield to take on tackle Laremy Tunsil. Davenport also manages to interrupt the running back’s block attempt, and anytime you can clear out three players in a stunt, you did a very good job.

View attachment 2019-09-10 21-13-56.mov

Thanks for that magnificent breakdown. And that is why defense is a team game. Davenport gets zero credit on this play from mostlocal & especially national media. But it is a perfect & prime example of the role he played all night the other night. I also noticed this type of play when Hendrickson got one of his sacks as well. If we're mopping up with 6 sacks/game & almost a 50% pressure rating on the QB when he goes back to throw, I personally don't care who's name goes by the the sack number. It shows all of our guys are working as a unit & that UNITY is what we need to win another superbowl.

Last edited:
Thanks for that magnificent breakdown. And that is why defense is a team game. Davenport gets zero credit on this play from local & especially national media. But it is a perfect & prime example of the role he played all night the other night. I also noticed this type of play when Hendrickson got one of his sacks as well. If we're mopping up with 6 sacks/game & almost a 50% pressure rating on the QB when he goes back to throw, I personally don't care who's name goes by the the sack number. It shows all of our guys are working as a unit & that UNITY is what we need to win another superbowl.
Especially.. When it takes 4 DL or 3DL & Pass Rusher OLB to create consistent pressure. It was there all night. It's a position group effort.

Good stuff.

Watching the kiddos right now so I don’t have time to read the whole thing yet. But do you hit on his run defense?

I didn't write about it, but I did cover over those snaps, yes. It's pretty easy to pick out the bad plays (see the lost containment on Watson TD run), but it's not all bad either. Initially, after watching the game live I gave him like a C- grade. After going through the game a couple of more times with the All-22 I gave him a B.

I didn't write about it, but I did cover over those snaps, yes. It's pretty easy to pick out the bad plays (see the lost containment on Watson TD run), but it's not all bad either. Initially, after watching the game live I gave him like a C- grade. After going through the game a couple of more times with the All-22 I gave him a B.
I'm going to have to start following you man. You do a real quality job at breaking down things.

Don't think we need to throw shade at Coach Pete. His observation was that Marcus Davenport is not up to full football strength, weight and conditioning, but is getting there.

I wouldn't be surprised to see MD get a sack vs. the Rams AND the Seachickens.

:gosaints:

Last edited:
Don't think we need to throw shade at Coach Pete. His observation was that Marcus Davenport is not up to full football strength, weight and conditioning), but is getting there.

I wouldn't be surprised to see MD get a sack vs. the Rams AND the Seachickens.

:gosaints:

Just to be clear, no shade from my being thrown at Pete. My editor picked the title lol

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom