Article Saints Film Room: Sack-happy Ravens will be a big test for Brees + Brees Video Film Study [2 for 1] (1 Viewer)

RevDeuceWindham

Player Evaluator/Analyst for The Athletic
Approved Blogger
Reaction score
Hey everyone! So, in trying to keep with my more recent format I've got another pair article + video (which is not behind a paywall for you to enjoy). First:

I charted all of the pressures/sacks/pass rush snaps from the Ravens game against the Titans, as well as looking at some of their other games as well. Feel free to ask any and all questions. I detail in the article how they can look to attack the Saints and cause confusion. They will use movement along their front 7 combined with rotations in the secondary.
https://theathletic.com/591762/2018...ck-happy-ravens-will-be-a-big-test-for-brees/

Also, how is Drew Brees still so good at 39 years old? I go into detail in this short video. Spoiler: Might have the best QB mind in the game. I talk all the time about scouting a player and evaluating their "mental processing", well, Brees might be the best.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M6f1tL0tFF4

Good statement distinguishing between accuracy and ball placement (in the video).

Good take on the Ravens D (in the article). I can't see them having the success vs our offense that they had against 3 of the worst defenses in the league. (Bills, Browns, and Titans) Let's hope so anyway!

When u say "rotation in the secondary" do u mean their gonna keep their best corner following MT & n everyone else fall in where they may? Or do u mean use their whole depth chart on those positions?

They're great on 3rds and red zone, both offensively and defensively, they know how to keep the opposing offense off the field. They log on average about 12 plays more per game offensively than our previous opponents. The game may come down to field position and minimizing penalties.

When u say "rotation in the secondary" do u mean their gonna keep their best corner following MT & n everyone else fall in where they may? Or do u mean use their whole depth chart on those positions?

i think he means ( and hopefully will answer ) that they DBs rotate coverage - in other words...will give one "look" pre snap, but at the snap of the ball, rotate to a cover 2 ( out of a pre snap cover 3 look )

They may slow us does in the beginning but not for 4 quarters.

Good statement distinguishing between accuracy and ball placement (in the video).

Good take on the Ravens D (in the article). I can't see them having the success vs our offense that they had against 3 of the worst defenses in the league. (Bills, Browns, and Titans) Let's hope so anyway!

That's fair, but I don't want to discredit that either. In that same vein we could argue the Saints have only played 1 high end defense, and they did that at home. I think teams play who they play. Obviously, playing weaker teams helps out your stats. That's every team, every year though.

They're great on 3rds and red zone, both offensively and defensively, they know how to keep the opposing offense off the field. They log on average about 12 plays more per game offensively than our previous opponents. The game may come down to field position and minimizing penalties.

Good points. Luckily, the Saints are one of the better teams when it comes to (not getting) penalties so far in 2018.

i think he means ( and hopefully will answer ) that they DBs rotate coverage - in other words...will give one "look" pre snap, but at the snap of the ball, rotate to a cover 2 ( out of a pre snap cover 3 look )

Correct! Thanks

They may slow us does in the beginning but not for 4 quarters.

That's the hope!

Drew and Unger should be able to outsmart them.
Lets hope so anyway.

Ravens were and are my pick to represent the AFC in the SB. However, they’re only sack happy against inexperienced QBs with lines that are struggling to protect

The unanswered question in my mind is line play. Our offensive line verses their pass rush. I believe this is the deciding factor in the game. May be proven wrong.

If you look at their schedule, only the Bengals and Steelers would be considered teams with a decent to above-average offense - and I think everyone would agree are lesser offenses than what the Saints bring. The Ravens did hold the Steelers to 14 points, largely due to what the Steelers conceded was a poor game plan, unimaginative offense, an inconsistent effort from Big Ben (57%), and just 20 yards on 10 attempts rushing. I'm sure that Sean and the offense spent quite a bit of time analyzing why the Steelers were so ineffective against the Ravens.

The Bengals, on the other hand, ran for over 110 yards and Dalton threw 4 touchdowns as the Bengals dropped 34 on the Ravens. But even in that game, Dalton was 24/42 (57%). I'd like to think that Drew will be more efficient with the ball and the Saints have a wide array of tools to degrade the Ravens' pass rush.

It's going to be a hard game for sure, one of the league's top offenses versus one of the top defenses. I think the weather will be cool (low 50s) but not an issue. It may take four quarters of highly disciplined football, but I think we will score enough points to beat them if the Saints defense can hold Flacco in check.

I can’t think of a game (ever) where backup QBs could play a key role for each team... when both starting QBs are healthy and playing!

Taysom Hill and Lamar Jackson will both play roles for their respective teams. Each offense has packages where these guys will play, and either guy is capable of making a big, game changing, play.

Does the experience of having guys like this on both teams better prepare them for facing the other defensively?

Then there is the other side of the ball.
Ravens O-line vs Saints D-line.
I think that's were the Saints hold an advantage. PFF rated their O-line at 14th.
Redskins O-line at 5th.
Let's hope they can sack and hurry Flaco and stall their running game.
I for one think they can.
Davenport , Jordan, Okafor, Rankins, Onyemata going to bring it against an average O-line.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom