Article Saints Film Room: The signing of Dez Bryant provides unique new weapon | Article, Short Video, & Open QnA (1 Viewer)

RevDeuceWindham

Player Evaluator/Analyst for The Athletic
Approved Blogger
Reaction score
Dez Bryant. Spent Wednesday going through years of analytics and snaps to try and determine what exactly the Saints are getting. With Cameron Meredith going on IR to have knee surgery, Bryant and Carr will likely see most of the slot snaps.
Notes:
-Struggles often mentioned might be exaggerated
-Routes speak to a player who fits well
-Various analytics/tape point to a very productive RZ receiver

Full details in the article here: Saints Film Room: The signing of Dez Bryant provides unique new weapon

And you are absolutely correct.
Even though our offense is good, there’s nothing wrong with trying to make it unstoppable

I think we'll see more of Thomas in the slot than Bryant. Time will tell.

Thomas plays all over the field, I think when he is outside Bryant will be inside, I don't see Bryant spending to much time on the outside as that's why the Cowboys let him go because he wasn't getting that separation anymore....the slot gives him more room to work.

Big body able blocker: Check.
Can win 50/50 balls: Check.
Wants to stick it to the Cowboys: Check.
Should be on best behavior as this is pretty much his last shot for another big payday: Check.
Low risk, high reward as Sean won’t hesitate to cut bait if Dez acts up: Check.
Thin at WR, Dez helps that: Check.
Player that is a RZ target and must be accounted for opening up for others and softening bracket coverages: Check.

I truly can’t see a single negative thing about this.

Thing I noticed about Dez and the Cowboys is the hideous ball placement by Dallas QBs. There was the highlight reel on the Saints Facebook site of all of Dez’s catches. The dude was having to reach out and grab every single pass it seemed like. I know the man has a rep fro droppping passes, but dang ball placement has totally blown for Cowboys QBs. I looked at that then hit the DVR for the Rams game and watched Brees passes. There is usually no effort to catch them needed from the WR unless Drew is obviously leading or highpointing or things like that. Bryant on the other hand is well over half the time fully extending to catch the passes due to bad QBing. I’m kinda excited to see if he will now be a reliable passcatcher with a whole different level of QB play.

I'm loving our size at WR. Mike, Tre'Quan, and Dez are all right around 6'3 215. Helps with making contested catches, dealing with press coverage, and run blocking. Not to mention, very few teams have three big corners. Somebody's usually going to have around half a foot and 20+ pounds on their matchup.

I wonder if sometimes here we underplaying Dez here because our last 3 big name FAs (Spiller/Byrd/AP) were busts? Maybe we don't want to relive those experiences? Here's the elephant in the living room: If he plays anywhere near the level he's capable of alongside Michael Thomas it'll be like having Issac Bruce and Torry Holt or Marvin Harrison and Reggie Wayne. 2 elite WRs in a Payton offense? It could be historical.

Big body able blocker: Check.
Can win 50/50 balls: Check.
Wants to stick it to the Cowboys: Check.
Should be on best behavior as this is pretty much his last shot for another big payday: Check.
Low risk, high reward as Sean won’t hesitate to cut bait if Dez acts up: Check.
Thin at WR, Dez helps that: Check.
Player that is a RZ target and must be accounted for opening up for others and softening bracket coverages: Check.

I truly can’t see a single negative thing about this.

Even more attitude n demoralizing trash talk from the wr corp to get in the head of opponents: check

Some people talk like Dez is so old. He's younger than Antonio Brown. He's 3.5 years younger than Ted Ginn. I doubt he has lost much athleticism at all. I'm expecting him to be balling by playoff time.

Thing I noticed about Dez and the Cowboys is the hideous ball placement by Dallas QBs. There was the highlight reel on the Saints Facebook site of all of Dez’s catches. The dude was having to reach out and grab every single pass it seemed like. I know the man has a rep fro droppping passes, but dang ball placement has totally blown for Cowboys QBs. I looked at that then hit the DVR for the Rams game and watched Brees passes. There is usually no effort to catch them needed from the WR unless Drew is obviously leading or highpointing or things like that. Bryant on the other hand is well over half the time fully extending to catch the passes due to bad QBing. I’m kinda excited to see if he will now be a reliable passcatcher with a whole different level of QB play.

Yea, I talked about that in the article a bit. I'm not here to dump on Dak, but man, the ball placement just is all over the place. It's like buckshot from a 12 gauge at times. Now, that said, Dez also dropped some passes. He's always had some drops, but there was a huge jump in his injury season (2015) and last year.

I wonder if sometimes here we underplaying Dez here because our last 3 big name FAs (Spiller/Byrd/AP) were busts? Maybe we don't want to relive those experiences? Here's the elephant in the living room: If he plays anywhere near the level he's capable of alongside Michael Thomas it'll be like having Issac Bruce and Torry Holt or Marvin Harrison and Reggie Wayne. 2 elite WRs in a Payton offense? It could be historical.

Well, only thing big about Dez in this case are his name and size. The contract is very small, so it doesn't have the long term threat that Byrd/Spiller/etc. had

Some people talk like Dez is so old. He's younger than Antonio Brown. He's 3.5 years younger than Ted Ginn. I doubt he has lost much athleticism at all. I'm expecting him to be balling by playoff time.

While that's true, 30 is the point we start talking about skill players declining or having already started it. There are exceptions to that rule though.

Yea, I talked about that in the article a bit. I'm not here to dump on Dak, but man, the ball placement just is all over the place. It's like buckshot from a 12 gauge at times. Now, that said, Dez also dropped some passes. He's always had some drops, but there was a huge jump in his injury season (2015) and last year.

Well, only thing big about Dez in this case are his name and size. The contract is very small, so it doesn't have the long term threat that Byrd/Spiller/etc. had

While that's true, 30 is the point we start talking about skill players declining or having already started it. There are exceptions to that rule though.

Good points as always Rev.
Also, in fairness when you start comparing accuracy not too many can stand in the same room with DB9.
You know that. He’s the Doc Holiday of fast draw football accuracy. Imo.

As an aside, I bragged on you last night to my brother and a best friend.
Both of them die hard fans of other teams. Falcons and Redskins. Told em your story and that I was happy for you but envious too. And that they should subscribe to the Athletic. ?

My Falcon season ticket holder die hard friend said “man I’d be the ball boy for the Falcons for 60K a year.”

Told him I’d be the anything for the Saints, for free. Lol.

Keep up the good work man. You’re inspiring.

While 30 is the point where we start talking decline, on the plus side he is coming in fresh for the stretch run so going into week 9, probably more like 10 when guys are starting to feel beat up, he isn’t. That’s huge. Also, this is the first real legit time where he has all the potential to get a super bowl ring. He never had that in Dallas. Never second guess a guy who comes into a good situation with very clearly attainable goals. For a short amount of time it can make 30 year old legs seem like 25 year old legs.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom