Saints Film Study On Sheldon Rankins Through 6 Games (1 Viewer)

RevDeuceWindham

Player Evaluator/Analyst for The Athletic
Approved Blogger
Reaction score
Sometimes you look at a stat sheet and just go "this guy has been a dissapointment". Sheldon Rankins is getting some of that buzz this season and I've been pelted with questions asking if he's even making an impact. Today, we're going to look at his play through six games to find out.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/ZU5QTw2UcaU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Thanks for this. I have been intrigued about Rankins and realize that hes not going to be a "stats" guy. Seeing how he affects the defense as a whole and line specifically makes me giddy.

Thanks for the analysis, Rev.

Also love how you're reppin' both the Rebel Alliance AND Starfleet in the vid :hihi:

Thanks for the analysis, Rev.

Also love how you're reppin' both the Rebel Alliance AND Starfleet in the vid :hihi:

Do I do a lot of work in sports media? Yep. Am I also a huge nerd? yep. lol. If you're going to be someone you might as well be yourself!

I look forward to these now after seeing you and Elias 'spelling?' in these videos. Love the intro music. Keep up the good work and thanks.

As long as ya'll keep watching, I'll keep making em

You do your thing Rev, we will keep watching.

I'm not sold on Rankins, even though that was a heck of an analysis. I think you can grab any UDFA, cherrypick a few plays per game and make them seem like a budding HoFer. To be the 12th pick of a draft, his tackles and sacks are wanting for sure...over his career. I thought playing with Fairley would help him last year....nope. He is definitely strong and powerful, but he is not meeting the expectations of where we drafted him...not even close.

This year, with Cam balling absolutely out...ive been hoping to see him break out. Nope, Tyeler Davison is doing that and getting better. A 5th rounder that has about the same numbers...which you would expect, though people are taking notice Statistics don't tell full story of Tyeler Davison's value to Saints defense | NOLA.com ; https://www.canalstreetchronicles.c...for-the-new-orleans-saints-nick-fairley-heart

Again, this would be a great analysis for a 5th or 6th rounder with the same numbers and I wished that you did do this for Tyeler, warranted. But, a first round pick, number 12, top of the '16 draft, nah son....he is not getting it done. We have to go back to the drafting board and get a better pair for Cam, now that Fairley health won't let him ball with us anymore...or Rankins pick it up, stop dancing with the washed up Jahri Evans of this league (much respect for his time with us...and will cheer for his HoF inception) and get back there and makes us know.

Rankins has been a disappointment...but this season is not halfway done. I still hope to see better.

You do your thing Rev, we will keep watching.

I'm not sold on Rankins, even though that was a heck of an analysis. I think you can grab any UDFA, cherrypick a few plays per game and make them seem like a budding HoFer. To be the 12th pick of a draft, his tackles and sacks are wanting for sure...over his career. I thought playing with Fairley would help him last year....nope. He is definitely strong and powerful, but he is not meeting the expectations of where we drafted him...not even close.

This year, with Cam balling absolutely out...ive been hoping to see him break out. Nope, Tyeler Davison is doing that and getting better. A 5th rounder that has about the same numbers...which you would expect, though people are taking notice Statistics don't tell full story of Tyeler Davison's value to Saints defense | NOLA.com ; https://www.canalstreetchronicles.c...for-the-new-orleans-saints-nick-fairley-heart

Again, this would be a great analysis for a 5th or 6th rounder with the same numbers and I wished that you did do this for Tyeler, warranted. But, a first round pick, number 12, top of the '16 draft, nah son....he is not getting it done. We have to go back to the drafting board and get a better pair for Cam, now that Fairley health won't let him ball with us anymore...or Rankins pick it up, stop dancing with the washed up Jahri Evans of this league (much respect for his time with us...and will cheer for his HoF inception) and get back there and makes us know.

Rankins has been a disappointment...but this season is not halfway done. I still hope to see better.

He has 13 hurries in six games, which is a better pace than he did last season. I certainly didn't cherry-pick games, I just used the All-22 Search feature to pull out plays that had Rankins attached to them. I then also put out an entire drive (the Saints worst drive vs Green Bay).

Cam and Sean Payton have both said the guy is having a great season, and I tend to agree based on the couple hundred snaps I've seen. Is he perfect? Certainly not, but I also wouldn't say he's doing poorly either. That's just my take though.

He has 13 hurries in six games, which is a better pace than he did last season. I certainly didn't cherry-pick games, I just used the All-22 Search feature to pull out plays that had Rankins attached to them. I then also put out an entire drive (the Saints worst drive vs Green Bay).

Cam and Sean Payton have both said the guy is having a great season, and I tend to agree based on the couple hundred snaps I've seen. Is he perfect? Certainly not, but I also wouldn't say he's doing poorly either. That's just my take though.

Your analysis was good, as I said from the jump, but it just sounded like you were discussing a 5th rounder who was playing better than expected. "He got a few hurries, manned-up on the line, created a fumble, not many tackles, no sacks, no sack fumbles etc".

Just not what we expect from our top of the draft, draft pick. As I said, maybe he is still coming along, or may not ever reach the level of expectations warranting such a high pick.

Just not what we expect from our top of the draft, draft pick. As I said, maybe he is still coming along, or may not ever reach the level of expectations warranting such a high pick.

Patient is the word.

Like most young interior DL, I suspect Rankins will get a little better every year for several years. He's already good, so he doesn't have far to go to start making more splash plays.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom