Saints fined $500,000, lose 7th round pick for maskless postgame celebration (1 Viewer)

And here is the slap on the wrist for the beloved Patriots.

The Patriots have reportedly joined the list of teams penalized by the league for failing to follow COVID-19 protocols. Ian Rapoport of NFL Media reports that ...

Our only grounds would be the same defense when I call out a student for violating school rules, “well sally is also on her phone, why don’t you say anything to her?!?”
Or maybe that the locker room was an extension of the field where they were just lined up with each other. They were all tested prior to the game. This happened before the updated mask wearing edict from the NFL.
I don’t know. Maybe not even worth the effort.

Is there any possibility of appeal? Maybe we can get the draft pick back

I know it probably doesn’t matter in the long run, and with the roster we have now, there is a good chance the draft pick would not make the team. But this bothers me for some reason. Maybe I will feel better if all these other teams start losing picks.
In reality, the 7th round pick will probably become our first potential UDFA, but you never know.

they said earlier on ESPN when they mentioned the fine and lost of draft pick that the Saints are going to appeal it. Saying that other teams who filmed in the locker room after the game were also not wearing mask and have not been disciplined, or if they have it wasn’t as severe.

On one level, the punishment seems warranted--for the team's failure to prevent the release of this type of video. I am less bothered by the postgame celebration than the stupidity in taking the video and releasing it. The responsible players should pay the fine. And if the team did not have a strong policy against recording and taking video of team activities, it hopefully has one in place now. Get those cell phones out of the team facilities and locker rooms.

So players are on the field playing a full on contact sport while, sweating, bleeding, yelling, spitting, etc. without a mask but once in the locker room you MUST wear a mask. This is so stupid on so many levels. Maybe they should just say they were having "a peaceful protest" because we all know the virus can't be spread during a protest...right?

Last edited:
And the Ravens - Steelers game had to be rescheduled TWICE and what will they get? They lost a prime time game on Thanksgiving. The Broncos asked the NFL if assistant coaches can suit up and we lose a draft pick? Ms Benson needs to step up an quit letting her employee get away with this.

On one level, the punishment seems warranted--for the team's failure to prevent the release of this type of video. I am less bothered by the postgame celebration than the stupidity in taking the video and releasing it. The responsible players should pay the fine. And if the team did not have a strong policy against recording and taking video of team activities, it hopefully has one in place now. Get those cell phones out of the team facilities and locker rooms.

Except multiple other teams had players post videos of similar post-victory locker room celebrations in previous weeks and the NFL never said a word.

The league set the precedent by allowing celebrations without comment. The only reason the Saints were punished was because of how high-profile it was after they pantsed Brady and the Bucs.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom