Saints Flying Under the Radar? You betcha... (1 Viewer)

JustaSharkie

... for nefarious reasons.
Reaction score
I have been hearing and see little snippets here and there about how the Saints "don't have a defense" as we head into the regular season. I don't have a particular article or story stating this but you hear commentators offer up back-handed comments to that effect. I've been hearing for a while now, the quick dismissal and the non-coverage.

For those fans who wanted the team to fly under the radar and surprise people are getting exactly this. I think we are so far under the radar that we are actually under and out of sonar range.

Thoughts??

We should be off the radar. Two losing seasons a very young unproven defense and a shaky o line equals off the radar. Nobody are going to pick the saints as a playoff team before the season only saints fans think we going to the Super Bowl right now.

Most gaming and sports metrics analysis put the Saints median wins at around 7 games. It's hard for people outside of the organization to get excited about a team that if it outperforms is still a WC team or a 3 or 4 seed if Carolina regresses.

I'm a lifer so I'm interested in the team getting back to coherence and watching young guys start to form the core of the team going forward. It'd be nice to see the Saints in the playoffs but a NFC Championship game appearance or better would be as unexpected as 2006 and as much of an outlier.

....as of yesterday the Saints were still trying to piece together a competitive roster so we should be under the radar if not totally off.

....as of yesterday the Saints were still trying to piece together a competitive roster so we should be under the radar if not totally off.
Trying to get a quality guard and making an 11th hour switch at kicker isn't really piecing together a competetive roster.

Two positions of our starting lineup have changed.

The top of the roster is pretty much set.

I don't think we're that bad off, actually.

Trying to get a quality guard and making an 11th hour switch at kicker isn't really piecing together a competetive roster.

Two positions of our starting lineup have changed.

The top of the roster is pretty much set.

The kicker situation is different than most years. We are usually the ones cutting kickers, they get signed by another team and do good. This year we are the ones who think we found that gem cut guy from another team. Hope it works out.

Kruger would be a starter on most if not all teams in the NFL. The timing was weird with him when he was cut, I don't see that as a negative. I see it as we lucked out.

Jahri is coming home, there's not going to be growing pains with him. Like Brees said, it's like he never left. He knows the system, he's going to be who he is and if anything it boosts our depth because now the guy who was going to be starting day 1 is now backup relief.

I have been hearing and see little snippets here and there about how the Saints "don't have a defense" as we head into the regular season. I don't have a particular article or story stating this but you hear commentators offer up back-handed comments to that effect. I've been hearing for a while now, the quick dismissal and the non-coverage.

For those fans who wanted the team to fly under the radar and surprise people are getting exactly this. I think we are so far under the radar that we are actually under and out of sonar range.

Thoughts??

Yeah I watched a show this morning talking about how our defense is a cupcake matchup for Carr (in relation to FFL). It is clear as day that until we play and prove otherwise, we will be considered by the media to have "the worst defense of all-time."

I can't believe so many have us in the bottom 27-30 area in the power rankings. That's just absurd for a team with a passer like Brees. He's good for 7 wins even in years we have historically bad defenses.

how can consecutive 7-9 seasons make us underrated? we are accurately rated until we win some games...

The only way we're under the radar is if the defense truly takes a big step under Allen - and the offense is able to keep producing at high pace despite the questions on the line. Those are big ifs but it isn't unthinkable that those two things could happen and we'll be winning much more than losing. But until we see it on the field, there's no reason for anyone to expect it.

There are holes. RG is a hole. Jahri will fill it well, but we don't know how well. K is something of a hole, but it may prove to be a position of strength.

27-30th is laughable for a team with Brees at the helm. 7-9 for 2 consecutive seasons should land you slightly below the middle of the power rankings. You know, kinda like 7-9 is slightly below .500. Not the bottom of the barrel. I'm sorry, but that is just silly.

There are 3 possible outcomes for a team that was 7-9 last year. Playoffs, mediocre, and terrible. Considering Brees & Payton have never been worse than 7-9, I'd say the first 2 are WAY more likely than the last.

Agree.

The few times our 1s were playing together in the preseason games, we were scrappy and competitive. The 4 preseason losses told us more about depth.

I think you're transferring your concern for the Oline onto other positions. We have a very competitive team in almost every other area

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom