Saints free agency targets: Lions guard Larry Warford not obvious choice, but the right man for the job (1 Viewer)

Dan in Lafayette

Staff member
Administrator
Diamond VIP Contributor
Reaction score
fa.gif

The Saints finally bringing Cowboys guard Ronald Leary into the fold feels inevitable, but Lions guard Larry Warford is a better fit.

By John Sigler -- CSC

The New Orleans Saints had something of a carousel at guard last year, with Jahri Evans, Andrus Peat, Senio Kelemete, and Tim Lelito each seeing time on the starting unit. For most Saints fans, the ideal solution to the problem of what to do at guard is sign Dallas Cowboys offensive lineman Ronald Leary. Leary and the Saints have flirted in the past, even going so far as trade talks between the Saints and Cowboys last spring.

But with former first round pick Andrus Peat seemingly destined to stay at left guard, the answer to this question becomes murkier. Leary is also a career left guard, and would face a move to right guard should he be signed. Though Leary would probably fill in decently on the opposite side, that assumption is too big to wager a hefty free agent contract. Spotrac.com estimates Leary’s value on the open market as highly as $9.1-million per year, so signing a free agent at that cost and then making him switch positions seems more than a little perilous.

That’s where Detroit Lions right guard Larry Warford (6-foot-3, 317-pounds, 26-years old this June) enters the equation. Warford has started 57 of 64 possible games in Detroit since being drafted in the third round back in 2013. He sat out a week last year after injuring his hip in practice, but otherwise was a steady starter. Pro Football Focus praised Warford in their review of the NFL’s offensive lines, grading him out as an above-average presence on passing and rushing plays.

Full Article -- CSC

Dan, thanks for the article. I am not a fan of Leary and think Warford might be our target in free agency.

Haven't read but do they also mention that Lombardi likely has insight on the player as he was there as the Ocoordinator at one point.

His comparison coming out of college was Marshal Yanda. Make it happen!

Huh. I love articles like this. Never heard of the dude before. Cursory glance around shows he's one of the kind of players the Saints always seem to sign. Young, very solid, able to improve still.

I think he's going to get $10mil a year or close to it. I'm all for it though. Zeitler or Warford should be a top priority. There are defensive players in the draft. Don't think there's a guard on that level. Would give us a top 10 offensive line at least. Maybe top 5 or top 3, assuming Armstead comes back 100%.

Is it just me or does Larry Warford look like Jahri Evans 2.0?

I think he's going to get $10mil a year or close to it. I'm all for it though. Zeitler or Warford should be a top priority. There are defensive players in the draft. Don't think there's a guard on that level. Would give us a top 10 offensive line at least. Maybe top 5 or top 3, assuming Armstead comes back 100%.

Is it just me or does Larry Warford look like Jahri Evans 2.0?

there are several guards that are worthy of a first or second round pick. Dan Feeney, Lamp and Pat Elflin. Those are the best of the group.

there are several guards that are worthy of a first or second round pick. Dan Feeney, Lamp and Pat Elflin. Those are the best of the group.

I don't disagree, but just to throw an example out there, I would much rather have Warford and Charles Harris starting for us next year than Jabaal Sheard and Dan Feeney.

I think there will be a lot of suitors for this year's FA guards. Although, I do believe Warford would be just what we need.

I don't disagree, but just to throw an example out there, I would much rather have Warford and Charles Harris starting for us next year than Jabaal Sheard and Dan Feeney.

from what I have read about Warford, I agree with trying to sign him. Young guard that is coming into his own. But if we don't get one of the top guards in FA, I would rather draft a young guard/tackle(and move him to guard) than signing a lower tier guard in free agency. We have seen what this offense, and Drew, can do with outstanding guard play. And we have seen what this offense looks like with mediocre guard play also. Much rather have the great guard play.

Chance Warmack would be a good option as well as he started every game for the Titans until last year when he hurt his hand.

Coming off a hand injury he will likely come cheaper and is just as viable as Warford.

Both play RG rather than Leary who would require a switch. While Leary is a mauler I just think its a gamble he can play that position at the contract he is going to secure. If that is the case just resign Lelito who plays a better RG and hope he gets better at the mental part.

While Lelito has the physical abilities he lacks the mental consistency.

Peat seems to be able to play average to good anywhere along the line, I wouldn't let his position be the decision make in who we sign.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom