Saints Free Agents...Who do we resign? (1 Viewer)

what is scary is none of those guys jump out at you. Saints signed the K. I'd bring Faine back (won't break the bank), goodwin (since he can play 2 spots on O-line), henderson (stretches field). Patten (veteran who can catch) I'd let rest of them walk with a chance of signing them later at league minimum after they test free agency.

2008 Veteran free agents
piece of work. Unsigned Age FA type
S J. Bellamy 35 Unrestricted -- time to retire
DE Jo. Cooper 27 Unrestricted -- Resign if he isn't to expensive which he shouldn't be
WR T. Copper 25 Unrestricted-- Let him see what his value is and if he comes back and is cheap sign him to a short term deal incase Meachem doesn't come around
C J. Faine 26 Unrestricted A must sign he should never hit the open market
C J. Goodwin 29 Unrestricted Versatile backup so I think he should be resigned
K M. Gramatica 32 Unrestricted-- Already done and much better than Mare IMHO
WR D. Henderson 25 Unrestricted-- Let him go, to inconsistent
TE Eric Johnson 28 Unrestricted-- to injury prone let him go
QB Jamie Martin 37 Unrestricted-- Not sure thankfully I haven't seen him play enough
LB M. McCoy 25 Unrestricted Let him go haven't seen him play any
TE B. Miller 30 Unrestricted--Our best TE just needs the opportunity to excel sign him
G J. Nesbit 31 Unrestricted-- We have depth waiting in the wings I say let him go.
WR D. Patten 33 Unrestricted-- That depends on how much he wants and if the staff feels Meachem is ready
LB M. Simoneau 31 Unrestricted Let him go hes a great leader but a marginal LB'r
RB A. Stecker 32 Unrestricted tough one for sure I love his versitility it depends on what he ask for!
CB F. Thomas 34 Unrestricted--God bless him hes been a good one and I hate to see him go
DE R. Wynn 33 Unrestricted Played well at times
DT Brian Young 30 Unrestricted Starting to get injury prone a little but he is an asset on defense and in the locker room. I would try to keep him if he doesn't ask for to much money

2008 Veteran free agents
piece of work. Unsigned Age FA type
DE Jo. Cooper 27 Unrestricted
WR T. Copper 25 Unrestricted
C J. Faine 26 Unrestricted
C J. Goodwin 29 Unrestricted
K M. Gramatica 32 Unrestricted <-- already re-signed
QB Jamie Martin 37 Unrestricted
TE B. Miller 30 Unrestricted
WR D. Patten 33 Unrestricted
DT Brian Young 30 Unrestricted

DE Jo. Cooper 27 Unrestricted
WR T. Copper 25 Unrestricted
C J. Faine 26 Unrestricted
C J. Goodwin 29 Unrestricted
K M. Gramatica 32 Unrestricted
TE Eric Johnson 28 Unrestricted
QB Jamie Martin 37 Unrestricted
TE B. Miller 30 Unrestricted
WR D. Patten 33 Unrestricted
RB A. Stecker 32 Unrestricted
DE R. Wynn 33 Unrestricted
DT Brian Young 30 Unrestricted

There you go. Some might not make it through training camp, but they should all be signed until better players have been found to replace them.

S J. Bellamy 35 Unrestricted - No. He will be available after training camp, so why pay now?

DE Jo. Cooper 27 Unrestricted - Yes. He has some skill at getting to the passer, and can be useful in a rotation. You know what you are getting, unlike (as we've seen last year) the street free agents we have to dredge up.

WR T. Copper 25 Unrestricted - Yes. An asset on special teams, he does enough things well enough (and cheaply enough) to stick. I don't see him getting a better deal anywhere else.

C J. Faine 26 Unrestricted - Yes, but only at the right price. If he wants big money, and he probably will, look to the draft or Goodwin.

C J. Goodwin 29 Unrestricted - See above. The determination the Saints have to make this offseason is if their last batch of OL rookies is ready to step up. If so, let him walk, and retool with the draft. It is always good to have young linemen in the pipeline - observe our inability to do this on the DL.

K M. Gramatica 32 Unrestricted - Already done. And a good job.

WR D. Henderson 25 Unrestricted - Yes. Speed kills. Like it or not, he has proven he can grasp the offense (well, "grasp" in relation to how he catches!) and play as an impact WR. Someone else will probably overpay for him, but he is young and you cannot coach speed. At least not his type. In a vertical offense he could be very, very good. I have the feeling this offense does not play to his strengths, and highlights his weaknesses.

TE Eric Johnson 28 Unrestricted - Yes. Not a blocker, but he will fill a need so we can stick with the gameplan in the draft.

QB Jamie Martin 37 Unrestricted - Yes. Palko in charge? Eek.

LB M. McCoy 25 Unrestricted - No. Just a roster body.

TE B. Miller 30 Unrestricted - No. He's had his moments, but never seemed to have Payton's trust to be played enough.

G J. Nesbit 31 Unrestricted - See Goodwin. Nesbit may be a bit overrated, but he fits well on this OL scheme. I'm not certain there are any other FA out there that will be better, so I would resign him. But, Alleman was drafted for a reason.

WR D. Patten 33 Unrestricted - Yes. Showed he could stay healthy and fill an important role at WR.

LB M. Simoneau 31 Unrestricted - No. Won't come back for backup money, and the FA list for ex-starting linebackers is pretty short. He will recieve offers elsewhere and should move on.

RB A. Stecker 32 Unrestricted - No. A great glue guy, but there are already too many roster spots tied up at RB. He is a casualty only because of #s. Although I'll bet Payton keeps him.

CB F. Thomas 34 Unrestricted - No. Let's be serious here. A 34 year old corner? Are we nuts?

DE R. Wynn 33 Unrestricted - No. Too much tread wore off. We can do better (hopefully).

DT Brian Young 30 Unrestricted - No. A legitimate health concern year in and year out renders him not worth the money. I'm not saying we have better options, but a Johnathan Sullivan healthy is better than a Brian Young with plantar fasciatus/calf problems/pneumonia on IR. Ouch. I can't believe I said that. Besides, someone else like Cleveland or Oakland will give him more money ...

what is scary is none of those guys jump out at you. Saints signed the K. I'd bring Faine back (won't break the bank), goodwin (since he can play 2 spots on O-line), henderson (stretches field). Patten (veteran who can catch) I'd let rest of them walk with a chance of signing them later at league minimum after they test free agency.

That's how I feel, the guys you listed serve a purpose (atleast) and are solid players for this team, just because they aren't "stars" doesn't mean they aren't valuable, the rest we need to let walk, this is the perfect time to inject youth on this team, the guys we rely on are all under contract and are the reason we had been successful, but the guys that are holding us back are Free Agents...don't bring them back, inject this team with youth and speed.

Personally, I would lose very little sleep if every name on that list was not a Saint next year. Stecker is 32, versatille and a valued backup, but he is holding back Pierre Thomas. I don't know why it took Payton so long to play Thomas when Deuce went down. I understand it takes a while to learn pass protection, but I would have Thomas run pass routes anyway. Obviously depth is important, especially concerning special teams and the offensive line, but I have not been impressed with either center. I would keep one and draft a backup; Faine is only 26. I would let every WR including Patten go. I would sign Johnson to 3 years, but I still hope we can get Crumpler.

Not sure why everybody is dumping on Faine...I don't know of a better center in Free Agency. I always thought he has performed at a pretty high level and him and Drew seem to work well together. I would try to resign both b/c you need depth and as shown last season, Goodwin can step in at a moments notice, and the O-line not miss a beat...what more could you ask for? Sounds like an easy decision to me...

Exactly. There's not a better one in the draft, either. We lose Faine, you will hear much moaning and gnashing of teeth. Aaron Brooks' backwards pass and Mike Ditka's dumping of draft picks has nothing on the grief that would be caused by his absence.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom