Saints get 2016 cap relief in Brees' deal (1 Viewer)

Extending KV is one thing

Didn't they pick up KV's 5th year option? The cap hit on that, correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't the cap hit on that 6 mil or so? I could see the Saints giving him an extension. Also I think they could look to extend Cooks as well.

These are the 2017 Free agents for our squad:

John Jenkins
Tim Lelito
Paul Kruger
Nick Fairley
Justin Drescher
Tim Hightower
Jamarca Sanford
Roman Harper
Kyle Wilson
Michael Mauti
John Kuhn
Travaris Cadet
Darryl Tapp
Sterling Moore

Only a couple I see warranting an extension or even much money in general. If we aim to retain Jenkins, Hightower, Harper, Mauti, Kuhn, Moore, Drescher or Lelito all would be low price options. Only two that could garner more money or an extension is Fairley or Kruger if they play really well. Still I think they either plan to make a move this year or roll space into next year and go hard after some free agents in that pool because our in-house free agent class next year looks weak money wise and shouldn't be too difficult to retain.

November 1st is the Trade Deadline.

My gut says the Saints aren't bringing anyone in right now, but want to have the cap space to A. extend/re-sign guys they feel are important and B. if some team under-performs and puts up a real talent on the trade block, the Saints would still have the cap space to make a trade and not jeopardize re-signing key in-house guys.

MAYBE the cutting of Byrd. Maybe a Fairley extension.

possibly Ronald Leary? we've supposedly been interested

Aquib Talib?????

I don't see CB as a need. We have Breaux and we really like PJ and Harris. We have Moore as the vet backup and he can step in and be the #2 CB with KV or Bell manning the slot. Harris can also play the slot. I don't see the need to trade for a high price CB. If we are trading for anyone on D it should be a pass rusher because defenses are built from the line out.

Leary to me isn't the answer. Was graded right around Lelito and Jahri last year via PFF. His weakness is pass blocking...Dallas wanted Lelito to replace him...that says everything

Move Joe Thomas to RT? What's the move there? And are the Browns shopping him?

I doubt theyre shopping him.

we've already seen what happens when you just throw a LT over to RT... why would you do that with a perennial pro bowler/all pro

if they were shopping him, hed cost way to much for some position change project.

I wish they would have done this back in March.

I don't think this was done with the specific intention to go after someone (Talib), though I do think there is credence to that line of thought, being that they were in discussions with Josh Norman that would have triggered a Brees extension.

I know "deadlines" breed deals, but for my money, I would have made sure my GM got this done before free agency began so that he wouldn't be hamstrung in trying to improve the team with actual difference makers when they are available.

So if this move WAS made to create cap space to add much needed improvements, the timing stinks because most of the talent pool that can do that already signed with other teams.

And that's why I think this was NOT the intention. I hope, but do not believe any splashy trade is on the horizon.

We are definitely in a position to make a splash before the trade deadline if we so choose. I don't know if something is imminent, but it is exciting to at least know that if we want to make a big move, we could pretty much do anything.

Let's play a game of "what if."

What if we come out on fire this year and start off 4-0 or something like that and Denver is horrid and decides they want to move on from Talib? We can now do that. Or what if the Bears decide they want to ship off Alshon.

We are at least in position to make a big move if we so choose.

I wish they would have done this back in March.

I don't think this was done with the specific intention to go after someone (Talib), though I do think there is credence to that line of thought, being that they were in discussions with Josh Norman that would have triggered a Brees extension.

I know "deadlines" breed deals, but for my money, I would have made sure my GM got this done before free agency began so that he wouldn't be hamstrung in trying to improve the team with actual difference makers when they are available.

So if this move WAS made to create cap space to add much needed improvements, the timing stinks because most of the talent pool that can do that already signed with other teams.

And that's why I think this was NOT the intention. I hope, but do not believe any splashy trade is on the horizon.

I think the outrageous contracts given out this free agency will come back to bite teams in the long run. I think if we had a ton of space we most likely would have spent it on a pass rusher seeing that was the biggest need going into the off season. The top pass rusher on the market was Olivier Vernon who got paid an insane 85 mil over 5 years........he will not see the end of that deal or produce at that rate. Sometimes $ doesn't always equal bringing in top talent. Some don't play to that level or are not even worth that much and others do play at the high level. But the fact of the matter is that we did the best with the money we had and we will have a significant amount of space next year and even now to make a move if they see fit. A lot of our dead money comes off the books after this year.

So, according to at least one report, the Brees extension freed up $12.5 million in cap space this year.

I wonder if this is a deal that they were exploring to make room to allow the Norman deal and/or potential Sitton deal work out.

That is, they may have been waiting to do the Brees extension until they knew how much cap relief would be needed for another deal, but when no other deal occurred then they finally decided to go ahead and pull the trigger just before the first game because Brees said he wouldn't negotiate during the season. Exploring the option of making room in the cap for other deals may have paved the way to final structure of the extension.

Now, they have some cap relief in the event something comes up between now and November 1st, or they can restructure other contracts to use some portion of it, and then just roll over the excess after that.

I doubt Drew would have signed this deal in the spring, unless the Saints could have landed a key piece. Fast forward to a few days before the opener, Drew, like everyone else knows that he is in the twilight of his career. That doesn't mean he's not productive, it just means he's getting closer to the end. This deal gives him another year of guaranteed money. I bet they play it year by year from here on. It's a huge risk to give an older player a long deal. If they keep extending in this fashion Drew can get paid in an off or injured year, but the Saints protect themselves from an extended salary hit. Good faith bargaining on both sides IMO. Both sides have some risk involved.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom