Saints get 2016 cap relief in Brees' deal (1 Viewer)

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">The Saints 2017 offseason will be slightly calmer w/o contracts for Brees, Armstead, Unger and Vaccaro to deal after this year.</p>&mdash; Larry Holder (@LarryHolder) <a href="https://twitter.com/LarryHolder/status/773637188265185280">September 7, 2016</a></blockquote> <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Can't wait until next off-season. We will be in position to completely replenish this roster and make one last run with Brees.

What are the cap implications for 2018 if the deal is voided after 2 years?

the remaining bonus prorates, consolidate from 3 split cap draws over the remaining term of the contract, to 1 big cap draw

(not sure exactly what the bonus number is, but its the bonus number / 5 = per year prorate, X 3 = dead money if contract voids.)

I've read and believe that Brees contract didn't stop us from signing anyone in free agency. Although that was my first thought as well. Meaning initially I thought this would have been great in March but now I realize it probably didn't influence our approach to FA. The problem is this. It seems like the fans and organization are looking to next offseason. Lol I hate the idea we are all ok with rebuilding. Of course after Payton's first 3 seasons we were all comparing him to Haz and look what happened

What are the cap implications for 2018 if the deal is voided after 2 years?

There's almost no chance it will (who seriously thinks Brees is done at 38?) but if it does, it's 12 million in dead money.

With Brees gone though, we'll of saved a huge amount against the cap and hopefully will have a guy on a rookie contract ready to start. 12 million is easily managed regardless, but in this case, even more so.

It's best case scenario. Way better then if we had given him 60 million guranteed over a traditional contract.

If I were calling the shots, and I am clearly not, I would hold on to it. We have a gimpy left tackle and are extremely thin on talent and experience in the CB position. An injury to the O-line, CB, or even the LB position would make us very, very vulnerable. It will be nice to have some room to get someone other than the bottom of the barrel if one, or more, of these were to take place.

One thing that does surprise me is that coach SP is okay with the current TE position going into this season. I think the loss of Hooman is a big blow to Payton's offense and I would not be surprised if this were the position we target.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">According to source, Drew Brees cap number with extension reduced from NFL-record $30M to $17.25M.</p>&mdash; Ed Werder (@Edwerderespn) <a href="https://twitter.com/Edwerderespn/status/773609975449063425">September 7, 2016</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

There's got to be another deal. I get that you can roll unused cap space to next year, but why create cap space this year specifically just to do that, when you could've structured it to fall into next year anyway? Something's up.

So you would have been fine with going into next season looking at the possibility of either tagging Brees for 43 million or 28 other teams trying to sign him which would drive up his price?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom