Saints get an extra $5.75 million in cap space (2 Viewers)

Not really. The minimum spending requirement is calculated completely different. It is based on actual cash paid out to the players and is calculated on a 4 year period. This year was the last year of the first 4 year period. The league will add up the max cap for those years (it is $554.55mil), Add up the amount of cash paid out to players during the period for each team. Divide the paid amount by the total cap figure to get a percentage. That has to be at least 90%.

Ah gotcha, wasn't sure how it worked. I didn't know if it was a flat amount because I remember teams like the jags and raiders throwing out contracts that were flat out ridiculous just to meet a minimum cap number last off season.

Yeah qbs but really any worth any big money my guess would be oline and d line aswell

That's why it will be important for the FO to choose a couple of guys who meet their needs, maybe 1 or 2, and go hard after them and make them feel they are out guys to help us over the hump and igned them quickly while the big money guys are throwing around eight he big FA.

Cleveland will have over 107 million on cap space

Jesus Harrison Christ those Cleveland numbers!! No wonder they suck, they're not paying anybody! They could get the entire FA class

Sign chandler jones, zeitler, jamie collins.

Championship.

Or sub collins for trumaine johnson and draft Ruben foster

Jesus Harrison Christ those Cleveland numbers!! No wonder they suck, they're not paying anybody! They could get the entire FA class

I think they'd like to, problem is no one wants to play there. It is a traditionally losing franchise, it's cold, the uniforms are lame, and it's CLEVELAND. :hihi:

Cleveland will have over 107 million on cap space

The problem with having that much money to spend is that there aren't enough good FAs to spend it all on because you still have 31 other teams in the market as well. It also means you currently have zero depth.

So you end up like TB did a few years ago when they had like 80 million to spend, way overpaying for a few good players, "winning" FA, and still being a terrible team.

They could, but they won't. That's the problem.

I have no idea what their long term plan was to end up with that much cap space. Have they just not been paying people, thinking that was a winning strategy?

I thought there was a minimum you had to spend on the cap each year, would these two teams not be in violation of that?

I think you can get away with it for a year or two but every three years or something you must have spent a certain percentage of the cap. I had the same question last year when I saw these numbers.

EDIT: Shoul've read through the thread. Merl is a much better source and actually answered the question with the real facts instead of my version filled with "or somethings..."

The problem with having that much money to spend is that there aren't enough good FAs to spend it all on because you still have 31 other teams in the market as well. It also means you currently have zero depth.

So you end up like TB did a few years ago when they had like 80 million to spend, way overpaying for a few good players, "winning" FA, and still being a terrible team.

They could, but they won't. That's the problem.

I have no idea what their long term plan was to end up with that much cap space. Have they just not been paying people, thinking that was a winning strategy?

From what I recall, they're trying to moneyball their approach to running the team.

Cutting Byrd with a June 1 designation will save us 8.3 million, so you can bet that's going to happen.

Have to re-sign Fairley and Snead. Certainly they will want to keep Hightower and maybe Kruger/Coleman/Evans. None of those guys are going to break the bank.

Won't it be nice to finally be able to go after one of them fancy $12-15 million CB's or edge rushers?

Cutting Byrd with a June 1 designation will save us 8.3 million, so you can bet that's going to happen.

Have to re-sign Fairley and Snead. Certainly they will want to keep Hightower and maybe Kruger/Coleman/Evans. None of those guys are going to break the bank.

Won't it be nice to finally be able to go after one of them fancy $12-15 million CB's or edge rushers?

Cutting him with a June 1st designation will not save cap until June 1st. That means this money would not help the saints to sign important free agents, only the leftovers from the free agency period.

I'm not on board with cutting Byrd, he really came around this year. His energy with the defense and Payton on the sidelines was a nice thing to see. He can be a leader, and I don't think that 8m in savings could be spent better. Even if Vonn Bell starts, we like to run 3 safeties. Without Byrd our depth would really be hurt.. he's expensive but IMO with the inflation of FA over the last two years he's well worth it. If he hit the market today he's signing just as fat of a contract

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom