Saints Hall of Fame (1 Viewer)

cki3915

Reaction score
We get into a lot of NFL HOF discussions here, but I haven't seen this one discussed. Who from the Sean Payton era gets into the Saints HOF? The list i think is long to keep those people busy inducting people for years and years. There are also some good borderline candidates. Here is my list (I'm sure i will forget some people):

Definate: Brees, P Thomas, Colston, Moore, Devrey, J Graham, Evans, W Smith, Vilma, Fujita, McKenzie, Payton, Loomis, Gleason

Those are my definates. That leaves several who i think have a case but can be argued either way: Sproles, Shockey, Nicks, Bushrod, Strief, Hargrove, Charles Grant, Moorestead, T Porter, D Sharper, Carney, P Carmichel, Vitt

I'm sure i left a few out, but it's an interesting discussion.

Not worth having a hall of fame if you're letting that many people in. I mean Devery, come on.

Joe Vitt? Laughable.

Not worth having a hall of fame if you're letting that many people in. I mean Devery, come on.

Joe Vitt? Laughable.

Not if you look at the people who are in it.

I think Devery did as much for this team than a bunch of the people who are in the Saints HOF:

Billy Kilmer, George Rogers, Henry Childs, Hoby Brenner, Jim Wilkes, Frank Warren, Rueben Mayes, a few others like Joe Federspiel. These guys are all in. Rogers and Mayes basically had one good year. Billy Kilmer was our QB because he was not as bad as the alternatives. Hoby Brenner was a good player for this team who played a while here. Same can be said for Devrey.

Compare Devery to Joe Horn. Devery has 245 catches for 4,377 yards, 17.9 YPC and 20 touchdows. Joe Horn's Saints numbers are 523 catches for 7,622 yards for 14.5 YPC and 58 touchdowns. But, Horn was our receiving corps in the Hazlett era. Devery has had to share the field with Colston, Moore, Graham, Shockey, Sproles, Meachem. Plus he was one of the few players from the pre-Payton era that Sean kept around. Horn he let go away. There is an argument there.

As far as Joe Vitt goes, if you put Steve Sidwell in, then Joe Vitt gets an argument at least. Sidwell had the Dome Patrol to coach. Spags could coach those guys. If you want to know Joe Vitt's worth to this team, just ask Sean Payton.

I'll go one further. Since they put Sidwell in, a coordinator working under a defensive coach with great players, then should not Pete Carmichael get a looksie for his career? Same situation...coordinator under an offensive coach with great players.

As far as Joe Vitt goes, if you put Steve Sidwell in, then Joe Vitt gets an argument at least. Sidwell had the Dome Patrol to coach. Spags could coach those guys. If you want to know Joe Vitt's worth to this team, just ask Sean Payton.

Sean Payton's major failing with this team has been solely on the defensive side of the ball, starting with the hiring of Gibbs as our DC in 06.

Hiring Spags (total mismatch for the personnel on the team, he should have seen that coming).

Leaving Vitt in control of the LB unit is just another misstep in a long line of them by Payton with our defense.

Here

We get into a lot of NFL HOF discussions here, but I haven't seen this one discussed. Who from the Sean Payton era gets into the Saints HOF? The list i think is long to keep those people busy inducting people for years and years. There are also some good borderline candidates. Here is my list (I'm sure i will forget some people):

Definate: Brees, P Thomas, Colston, Moore, Devrey, J Graham, Evans, W Smith, Vilma, Fujita, McKenzie, Payton, Loomis, Gleason

Those are my definates. That leaves several who i think have a case but can be argued either way: Sproles, Shockey, Nicks, Bushrod, Strief, Hargrove, Charles Grant, Moorestead, T Porter, D Sharper, Carney, P Carmichel, Vitt

I'm sure i left a few out, but it's an interesting discussion.

Brees and Colston for sure. Vilma because he was the defensive leader on a Superbowl winning team. Tracy Porter because of the Superbowl clinching play, and Steve Gleason because he is part of one of the biggest moments in Saints history.

As far as right now Drew is the only sure fire lock but I think Colston is also and if Evans has a long career he will get in also.

Very likely candidates are Jimmy Graham (if we can retain him), Vilma (definitley deserves it), Cam Jordan (has improved in his 2 years and a 3-4 switch should only help), Curtis Lofton (the man is just a great MLB, I hope this 3-4 switch doesn't hinder his performance like it did Vilma's in N.Y.)

To early to tell but very well could make it
Hicks and Galette(both are young, athletic, and could do very well in our new Defense)
Ingram (all depends on if Payton will ever give him the ball enough)
Keenan Lewis (played very will in Pittsburgh, if he transitions well to our defense he could be great)
Jenkins (very athletic DB, makes some great plays and blows others. If RR can put him in position to make key plays he could make it.)

Not sure about
Sharper (really only had one great year, but what a great year it was)
Porter (same as above, basically sealed the last 3 wins of our Super Bowl season)
PT (due to our Backs By Committee I don't think he'll get enough stats even though he deserves it)
Lance Moore (has made many spectacular plays but again, not sure if he'll have the stats)

Brees, Evans, Colston, Porter, Reggie, Graham, Thomas. Harper.

I think Moore needs another year.

Vilma is an honorable mention right now IMHO.

Horn should be in if he's not. (played a year with Payton)

What about Jabari, he's been a 4-year starter?

Brees, Evans, Colston, Porter, Reggie, Graham, Thomas. Harper.

I think Moore needs another year.

Vilma is an honorable mention right now IMHO.

Horn should be in if he's not. (played a year with Payton)

What about Jabari, he's been a 4-year starter?

Horn is already in.

I spent some time thinking about Jabari before deciding not to mention him. There are just too many guys ahead of him and by the time they finish getting the Payton era guys in there will be a new set of guys to go in so i think he gets left out. He is just not special and its hard to quantify why he is not where as Mckenzie was, (or Sammy Knight for that matter who is in the HOF).

Reggie is another very interesting argument. On the one hand, his career here was short and overall probably did not live up to his expectation as the #2 pick in the draft. On the other hand, George Rogers and Rueben Mayes are in the Saints HOF, and Reggie has better credentials than they do.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom