Saints Have 14 First Picks on Roster (1 Viewer)

latechsaint26

Season Ticket Holder
Reaction score
Looking at our roster we have 14 former first round picks right now (15 if you count Davenport twice lol) and another 7 that were drafted in the top 50 including Pro Bowlers like Dalton, Mike, and Juice.

I tried looking it up. Looks like recently Cowboys had 11 1sts on a roster and Browns had 10.

Anyone know the most ever?

Shows just how much talent is on this current roster right now. Hope some of them can be coached up by our pretty proven staff.

For comparison, the Bears currently have TWO.

I find it amazing that few respect the talent on this roster. If this was the Cowboys most every analyst would pick this team as a superbowl contender.

Wiley did say though the day before Saints even landed Landry that he sees them as a SuperBowl contender. He added teams shouldn't sleep on the Saints.

But as has been often said the talking heads are just good at drumming up thier narrative in order to get paid. Very few actually do research.

Last edited:
Honestly… you lost me when you said “Pro Bowlers like Dalton…”

Dalton is only in the NFL still because he was a former 1st rounder and PB’er.

I’m not saying he stinks, but if Dalton was your starter, you’d be extremely worried.

If anything, it makes me more nervous about 1st round picks and the high percentage of them not really working out.

The reason we're so underrated is because of who we have under center. No one believes he can lead this team to the Super Bowl, besides us as fans. Jameis is a winner, throughout all of school and minor success with a terrible franchise in TB. If he can't win with this team, he can't win.

Nationally people feel the loss of Sean Payton hurts the team. And if we’re being honest, Payton was an outstanding coach who got the most from his players. Dennis Allen has big shoes to fill with a number of new positional coaches under his command.

We have our starting QB coming back from an ACL and only time proves his ability. He’s also viewed nationally at best as a mid tier QB.

Nobody knows what happens with Mike Thomas. Does he return to form from 2 years ago? Is his injury lingering?

The pundits all feel losing Armstead was a major loss. Now we’re counting on a rookie at LT who has known issues in pass protection, albeit the ability to improve with pro coaching.

These are the reasons we aren’t being viewed as a heavy contender on the national front.

I feel we are certainly a playoff team with luck on the injury front.

I’m not saying he stinks, but if Dalton was your starter, you’d be extremely worried.

If anything, it makes me more nervous about 1st round picks and the high percentage of them not really working out.
Dalton was a three-time ProBowler. Led the Bengals to five straight playoff appearances. He and AJ Green were a force. Yes, he's on the backend of his career, hence he's a backup. But to say he's only in the NFL because he was a 1st round pick (he's actually a 2nd round pick) is overly critical of him.

And aside from Ruiz, our 1st round picks have been good to very good. Jury is still out on Turner, Penning and Olave. The failures have been White & Taco and were not drafted by us. Neither was Roby, but he's had a solid career.

Dalton was a three-time ProBowler. Led the Bengals to five straight playoff appearances. He and AJ Green were a force. Yes, he's on the backend of his career, hence he's a backup. But to say he's only in the NFL because he was a 1st round pick (he's actually a 2nd round pick) is overly critical of him.

And aside from Ruiz, our 1st round picks have been good to very good. Jury is still out on Turner, Penning and Olave. The failures have been White & Taco and were not drafted by us. Neither was Roby, but he's had a solid career.
If I remember correctly Dalton has thrown for more than 200 TDs in his career. That's nothing to sneeze at.

If anything, it makes me more nervous about 1st round picks and the high percentage of them not really working out
I am pretty sure that you are in the minority of Saints fans who are not semi-happy with him being the 2/3 QB. Considering that pure crap platter that we endured last season after JW went out.

Jim Plunkett led the Raiders to a SB win late in his career.

Some felt that Doug Williams was washed up, yet he led the Redskins to a SB win, and also garnered SB MVP.

Lagniappe: Former Saints QB Billy Kilmer was an old geezer when he led the Redskins to the SB.

Kerry Collins led the Panthers deep into the playoffs late in his career.

You never know when an old warrior will rise up to the occasion.

:gosaints:

Last edited:

Andy Dalton has a Soul darn it. NSFW!!!

Some felt that Doug Williams was washed up, yet he led the Redskins to a SB win, and also garnered SB MVP.

Lagniappe: Former Saints QB Billy Kilmer was an old geezer when he led the Redskins to the SB.

Plunkett helped the Raiders to TWO wins in the big game, actually. Appreciate your knowledge of the classics, surely! 👍

This team has been rooted in the impertinence of how the Saints acquired the player. Performance and fit matter more. This is the Pierre Thomas over Antonino Pittman at running back example. This is Taysom Hill. This is Marcus Colston, Zac Strief, Jahri Evans, Carl Nicks, and tons of non first rounders who are hyper talented who proved it on the field over the Sean Payton era. While the 14 first rounders that I count Jameis Winston, Cam Jordan, Mark Ingram, Kevin White Andrus Peat, Bradley Roby, Taco Charlton Marshawn Lattimore, Ryan Ramczyk, Marcus Davenport, Caesar Ruiz, Peyton Turner, Chris Olave, and Trevor Penning are mostly key players the ones not drafted by the Saints are mostly journeyman at this point. I think the roster is better than 2021 or 2020.

Good stuff. Collins actually led the Giants to the 2000 SB with Payton as the OC.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom