Saints Have Most Opening Day Salary Cap Space in 4 Years (1 Viewer)

RevDeuceWindham

Player Evaluator/Analyst for The Athletic
Approved Blogger
Reaction score
We all know Mickey Loomis is able to navigate the salary cap better than most GMs, but how he is able to pull of signings every season given the space he has left himself is pretty impressive. With those talents in mind, definitely looking forward to what we can do considering the amount of space we have that you can see below.

#Saints free agency opening day salary cap space by year:

2017: $29.5M (projected)
2016: $8.9M
2015: $4.92M
2014: $2.5M

-John Sigler
<iframe id="rufous-sandbox" scrolling="no" allowtransparency="true" allowfullscreen="true" style="position: absolute; visibility: hidden; display: none; width: 0px; height: 0px; padding: 0px; border: medium none;" title="Twitter analytics iframe" frameborder="0"></iframe><iframe id="rufous-sandbox" scrolling="no" allowtransparency="true" allowfullscreen="true" style="position: absolute; visibility: hidden; display: none; width: 0px; height: 0px; padding: 0px; border: medium none;" title="Twitter analytics iframe" frameborder="0"></iframe><iframe id="rufous-sandbox" scrolling="no" allowtransparency="true" allowfullscreen="true" style="position: absolute; visibility: hidden; display: none; width: 0px; height: 0px; padding: 0px; border: medium none;" title="Twitter analytics iframe" frameborder="0"></iframe><iframe id="rufous-sandbox" scrolling="no" allowtransparency="true" allowfullscreen="true" style="position: absolute; visibility: hidden; display: none; width: 0px; height: 0px; padding: 0px; border: medium none;" title="Twitter analytics iframe" frameborder="0"></iframe>

I'm hoping we don't break the bank for Nick Fairley or Vaccarro.

I'm hoping we do what we can to keep and/or add everyone that will help this team win significantly more than 7 games next season and beyond.

And that's without restructuring any contracts. I think Byrd will have to take a pay cut. I hope Armstead and Fleener will take one, but I doubt it.

We bagged Byrd with only $2.5M available in 2014, Loomis is probably moonwalking throughout the facility on Airline with a $29.5M projection for 2017.

tumblr_mftfovhpS01rc22uzo1_500.gif

We all know Mickey Loomis is able to navigate the salary cap better than most GMs, but how he is able to pull of signings every season given the space he has left himself is pretty impressive. With those talents in mind, definitely looking forward to what we can do considering the amount of space we have that you can see below.

#Saints free agency opening day salary cap space by year:

2017: $29.5M (projected)
2016: $8.9M
2015: $4.92M
2014: $2.5M

-John Sigler
<iframe id="rufous-sandbox" scrolling="no" allowtransparency="true" allowfullscreen="true" style="position: absolute; visibility: hidden; display: none; width: 0px; height: 0px; padding: 0px; border: medium none;" title="Twitter analytics iframe" frameborder="0"></iframe><iframe id="rufous-sandbox" scrolling="no" allowtransparency="true" allowfullscreen="true" style="position: absolute; visibility: hidden; display: none; width: 0px; height: 0px; padding: 0px; border: medium none;" title="Twitter analytics iframe" frameborder="0"></iframe><iframe id="rufous-sandbox" scrolling="no" allowtransparency="true" allowfullscreen="true" style="position: absolute; visibility: hidden; display: none; width: 0px; height: 0px; padding: 0px; border: medium none;" title="Twitter analytics iframe" frameborder="0"></iframe><iframe id="rufous-sandbox" scrolling="no" allowtransparency="true" allowfullscreen="true" style="position: absolute; visibility: hidden; display: none; width: 0px; height: 0px; padding: 0px; border: medium none;" title="Twitter analytics iframe" frameborder="0"></iframe>

I'm curious as to how much cap space the Saints made for themselves the past three offseasons by restructuring, extending, and cutting players? Just wondering how much we could potentially add to our opening 29.5 million.

There are still 21 teams with more cap room. It's a lot of money for the Saints, but leaguewide they are below average.

The Patriots are 7th with 62 million cap room. Not bad for having just won the Super Bowl.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom