Saints have not gone 2-0 since 2013 (1 Viewer)

ozwego15

Pro-Bowler
Reaction score
Not saying this as an excuse but historically this team never starts off 2-0. There is a lot of work to do and the effort needs to pick up. Hopefully they'll bounce back against GB.

Hard to believe when I saw that stat. I honestly think that this may be week two preseason to Drew’s body/timing (and possibly for many of his teammates as well). I think he rounds into form with more reps. But boy is this brutal.

That doesn't work when the team has gone 13-3 the last two seasons lol.

In fact, it's pretty remarkable that we've started the last two seasons 1-1 and went 13-3.

Look at the results in the playoffs. One game, yeah, refs sucked, but the other two? This team has been woefully prepared to start the season and woefully prepared for the postseason.

That's called terrible coaching.
Then is being the winningest team in the last three seasons called brilliant coaching?

I would like for us to buck the trends. I'm not looking forward to another disappointing postseason exit. Though...if we don't win the Super Bowl all post seasons are disappointing...

Then is being the winningest team in the last three seasons called brilliant coaching?

I would like for us to buck the trends. I'm not looking forward to another disappointing postseason exit. Though...if we don't win the Super Bowl all post seasons are disappointing...

Honestly, I'd call it average coaching considering the ridiculous amount of talent on the team. We can laugh at the Patriots and try to detract from their success because the AFC East is a "joke", and yet, for being in such a soft division, the Patriots have played in nine Super Bowls, won six of them, and have made the AFC Championship game in what, 10 of the past 15 seasons? We've seen Belichick adjust their offense and defense relentlessly. He and McDaniels have completely reshaped the Patriots offense this year and while they lost to the Seahawks, Cam Newton is playing like a different QB and there is no question their offense is dramatically better than it was last season with Brady. Brilliant coaching gets it done when it counts.

I believe Sean Payton is a good head coach, but he's got some real flaws. Dennis Allen looks more and more like a guy propped up by a ridiculously talented defense and not a guy who can really teach fundamentals (tackling has been a recurring issue for 3, going on 4 seasons now) or out scheme opponents. Look at Payton's history of challenging plays, look at his history of completely ignoring the run, look at his history of clinging to coaches who should be fired, look at his history of timeout and clock management. Look at how wildly unprepared the offense was in the 2017 and 2019 playoffs. We have to face the reality that Payton may be on the decline as a playcaller and it could be time for someone new to run the offense. Let Payton remain as HC, I have full faith in him there, but he has really been struggling the last few years with consistently calling good games. We have to face the reality that Dennis Allen isn't that good, he's just an average at best DC who looked better than he is because he comes after two other DCs had awful stints in New Orleans.

Oakland was a wounded team tonight with only two real offensive threats and a defense begging to be trampled over. The Saints let those two offensive players kill them, and they never capitalized on Oakland's pourus run defense after the first quarter. The Saints looked like a team that never learned a thing from last seasons playoff exit, and that's why I'm upset and worried. Cap hell is coming and the end of an era is near, it's just going to be really depressing if the golden age of Saints football ends with a wet fart instead of a Superbowl Championship or at least an NFCCG appearance.

Not saying this as an excuse but historically this team never starts off 2-0. There is a lot of work to do and the effort needs to pick up. Hopefully they'll bounce back against GB.

Yeah, I agree with you about the specific record itself not being a conclusive indication of how we'll finish but:

1. Last year we could blame it on Brees getting injured in the Rams game as well as having our momentum decimated by the corrupt early whistle on Cam's 83 yard fumble return TD. That was a legit forgivable loss, all things considered.

2. In this game, we played horrifically bad in both the offensive and defensive passing games. Also, Drew's arm looks more done than the shoe leather steak at Sizzler.

3. These early losses basically always cost us the #1 seed which, in turn, costs us the SB. At home, the only thing that's ever stopped us in the playoffs under SP was the most intentionally rigged call in league history. Put us on the road in the playoffs and we're basically done. Yeah, we got that monkey off our back in Philly in the 2013 season but we very easily could've lost that game since it came down to a walk-off field goal that, if missed, would've lost us the game on the spot.

Also, we would've been vying for a bye in week 17 of 2017 if we'd have avoided the 0-2 start. Yeah, we lost the finale to the Bucs but there was a huge prevailing fan sentiment that SP took his foot off the gas cuz he wanted Carolina instead of Atlanta for our wildcard matchup. We probably easily beat them if there's a bye on the line.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom