Saints have their eye on WM basketball player (1 Viewer)

longtime lurker

Buddy D lives FOREVER!
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Diamond VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Yep, a center to be exact:

This year, Western Michigan's senior center Joe Reitz, who is one of the top post players in the MAC could be the conferences latest star -- but it's not on the hardwood. The 6-foot-7, 256-pound Reitz is getting some serious attention from the NFL. According to WMU assistant coach Cornell Mann, the New Orleans Saints, Chicago Bears, Detroit Lions, Jacksonville Jaguars and Carolina Panthers all have their eye on the big fella from Fishers, Ind.

...The projected tight end or offensive tackle is also an aggressive offensive rebounder, pulling down three per game (ranking third in the conference).
http://insider.espn.go.com/espn/blo...pn/blog/index?entryID=3200818&name=ncbexperts

GATES.jpg

We have nothing to lose, and an Antonio Gates to gain.

Good Lawd... 6'7? As a TE? talk about a red zone weapon... I wonder how fast he is... that would be sickening for defenses to see that big monster running through the secondary...

Maybe the Saints hit on "projects" and "diamonds in the rough" every other year. Of course, it could be every thirty-five years or so.

That would be kinda cool. I guess Payton is still looking for that "Gates" type player at TE for Brees.

He's going to have to put on a lot of muscle and that will take time. Considering he will red shirt at least until next year, I would not pick him before the 5th round maybe 6th round. He's a long-term developmental project.

We already had a TE like that in Hilton who was good as a pass catching TE but lacked considerably in the run blocking department.

I don't see this guy being any different than Hilton. Too much of a project in my opinion but hey I am no Loomis....

We already had a TE like that in Hilton who was good as a pass catching TE but lacked considerably in the run blocking department.

I don't see this guy being any different than Hilton. Too much of a project in my opinion but hey I am no Loomis....

Gates wasn't an amazing run blocker, and a run-blocking TE is pretty far down the list of priorities. Y'know, after run-blocking right tackle, run-blocking left guard, run-blocking center...

They have to be able to block or the aren't worth being on the active roster.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom