Saints Saints heading towards Draft in unusual situation... (1 Viewer)

Saint Taysom

MultiTool Tool
Reaction score
Under Sean Payton and Loomis, the Saints have consistently addressed their needs via free-agency prior to the draft, allowing them to go for Best Player Available throughout (for the most part).

This offseason is different though... the Saints have only added 2 lower-tier FAs thus far, and with big money tied up in the futures of Marcus Williams, Terron Armstead, and Ryan Ramcyzk (along with others).. the money simply just isn’t there to fill needs.

So now it appears the Saints will go into the Draft with some very clear and real needs to be filled.

IDL, DE, LB, CB, and perhaps even TE and WR need to be addressed. There is also the OT situation to consider, with both Armstead and Ramcyzk entering the final season of their respective contracts. James Hurst is quality depth, but a true contender doesn’t roll with Hurst as their top option at this point in his career.

Things didn’t waste any time getting different when Drew Brees retired, and this draft has a whole lot riding on it.

Under Sean Payton and Loomis, the Saints have consistently addressed their needs via free-agency prior to the draft, allowing them to go for Best Player Available throughout (for the most part).

This offseason is different though... the Saints have only added 2 lower-tier FAs thus far, and with big money tied up in the futures of Marcus Williams, Terron Armstead, and Ryan Ramcyzk (along with others).. the money simply just isn’t there to fill needs.

So now it appears the Saints will go into the Draft with some very clear and real needs to be filled.

IDL, DE, LB, CB, and perhaps even TE and WR need to be addressed. There is also the OT situation to consider, with both Armstead and Ramcyzk entering the final season of their respective contracts. James Hurst is quality depth, but a true contender doesn’t roll with Hurst as their top option at this point in his career.

Things didn’t waste any time getting different when Drew Brees retired, and this draft has a whole lot riding on it.
Im hoping this inspires the Saints to use thier draft picks on players who have a legitimate shot at making the roster and not on project players who end up not panning out and get cut after training camp. Players such as Leonard, Alize Mack and Stevens.

If the players they draft particularly 4th round and beyond dont end up being starters hopefully they end being good enough to be part of a rotation or special teams.

Im all for signing project players, UDFA is the perfect format for that though.

Or in short first three rounds picked hopefully the players are selected with being potential starters in mind, with later rounds N.O selects rotational and special team players who can potentially contribute more as the season progresses

Last edited:

That's why I made the thread suggesting trading extra players for picks.

8 picks are sufficient to fill all of the holes but 10 might be better.

Looking at positional value and needs I think the saints should keep all 8 picks. They are going to need them.

Agreed, this draft is going to be a key to how successful this team will be in the next few years. I'm hoping we play to our personnel strengths and allow Ireland to select BPA defense in the early rounds....we will see....

We have too many needs to address all of. Just get the best players. We might make the playoffs as a 5-7 seed. But we are not going to win the division. Not without a good QB. It could be rough the next couple of years. Hopefully Payton can stick around for another 5 years or more. Without a QB that really gets his vision for the offense Payton might get frustrated and want to move on. I don’t think there has been a closer duo at HC and QB.

I’ll say again I believe the Saints have already reached out to certain FA probably have a deal in principle but need to get our guys under contract for cap relief first.

I also find it interesting that neither Ramczyk, Williams or Lattimore have anything long term. Have to consider the possibility that those are holes in 2022.

I think we are set up for BPA as usual, just in a completely different way.

Aside from QB, we're in better shape roster wise than 2012-2015. As a reminder, we were so desperate that we signed guys like Jarius Byrd, Champ Bailey, Brandon Browner, and CJ Spiller in FA. We were starting many guys that would have been depth on other teams. We sucked so bad on defense, we thought Victor Bulter could save us, and we were all devastated by his IR injury news. Point is, we do have holes to fill, but we also still have tons of talent. The main things is no Brees, and that's going to take a minute to get used to, even though we knew it was coming.

That's why I made the thread suggesting trading extra players for picks.

8 picks are sufficient to fill all of the holes but 10 might be better.

Looking at positional value and needs I think the saints should keep all 8 picks. They are going to need them.

Just curious who our "extra players" are. Who do you see as expendable, in order to draft more rookies to take their spots? And if those players are actually expendable, who would give up draft picks to trade for them?

Just curious who our "extra players" are. Who do you see as expendable, in order to draft more rookies to take their spots? And if those players are actually expendable, who would give up draft picks to trade for them?

Marcus Davenport for one.

I'd trade him to a team who could better use his talents at OLB and secure more traditional 4-3 ends with this draft since it's so deep.

Maybe the Pats or Cardinals would want him.

If we don't draft defense with the 1st pick I will be upset. Whether it's a corner or LB the first pick needs to be on D.

Above all else... really looking at it... CB is the most glaring need for the Saints. They only have 1 starting caliber boundary CB in Lattimore, and he is in limbo with the charges he’s facing.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom