Saints Saints heading towards Draft in unusual situation... (1 Viewer)

There's a lot of bigger names still unsigned. And I think it's because teams are going to wait until after the draft to sign those veteran players and not count against their comp picks.

I don't think for a second we're going to put these holes in our roster at the sole responsibility to unproven players to fill.

People will do it anyway, but don't demand these guys start and be impactful all at once. That 2017 draft is not a benchmark. We'd be lucky if we had a single HoF quality player come out this draft, let alone 3 with a possible 4th.

Marcus Davenport for one.

I'd trade him to a team who could better use his talents at OLB and secure more traditional 4-3 ends with this draft since it's so deep.

Maybe the Pats or Cardinals would want him.
At this point, what could we realistically expect in return for Davenport?

So now it appears the Saints will go into the Draft with some very clear and real needs to be filled.

IDL, DE, LB, CB, and perhaps even TE and WR need to be addressed.

Several of those are "must haves" IMHO. The Saints need a primary boundary CB and I would go into the draft with intending to take two. While they did take Baun a year ago, that shouldn't prevent them from taking another LB that can cover. I do agree that it is important to replace Hendrickson's production and Granderson can help there, but adding a productive pass rusher should be a priority (albeit probably on the third day). I would expect them to target a run stopping DT, but I would also like to see them take an inside penetrator. Since Callaway is unproven and TQS has not been consistent enough to put our faith in as a true #2 WR, I think getting a guy capable of filling that role is important.

That's seven picks of the eight and there are still potential needs at tackle, safety and tight end as well. Maybe they can do without the second DT, but I feel they need more picks, since they all won't be gems. This is the year, maybe more than ever, to trade back, acquire more picks and take the best players available with an eye toward filling these needs.

I'd trade him to a team who could better use his talents at OLB and secure more traditional 4-3 ends with this draft since it's so deep.

Alrighty, not saying I don't agree with with you, but that's one player, and you originally said "players." And like another poster already asked (Was it Begal, sorry if not), what do you really expect in return to gather all these extra picks? I was personally a fan of the trade up for Davenport as he was the highest ranked pass rushing DE in that class, according to Mike D, and that was our only major hole at the time. Now obviously, he hasn't stayed healthy, but has shown flashes when he is. But what is another team going to give us for him, looking objectively from the other side?

For what. A 6 pack of warm beer? Dude has very little to no trade value at this point.

The Saints have been here before. This is no different than the retooling year where they took the salary cap hit for releasing players like Junior Galette and Jarious Byrd and came into the year with a UDFA helping to fill out the roster.

Payton is a good teacher, I think he enjoys the process and has an eye for what fits in his vision of his offense and defense.

Last edited:
Linebacker depth or lack thereof, is scary, Cb depth or lack thereof is straight up zombie apocalypse scary. Like really, what are we doing or should I say, what are we going to do? I'm gon ride with the Saints till the wheels fall off but there is absolutely no excitement for the 21' season.

Holes galore, no money, no depth, really a qb competition? I guess this will be the bandaid season? Who knows...just not looking good, draft ain’t looking good neither and its not even here. Every first rd could-be gamechanger will be gone by 28, especially position of need.

There is certainly talent on this team but some of you literally act like we are super fine and stacked to the gills with talent. I'm just gonna pray that the coaching is top notch and spectacular at the least for every position group. I think we're in for a long season defensively. Hate to say it, but just being real, what else is new when it comes to our Pass defense. Just my honest opinion! No need for stats. Haven't missed a game in about 17 years, my eyes are fine.

For what. A 6 pack of warm beer? Dude has very little to no trade value at this point.
Hopefully two 4ths and a bag of Zapps potato chips.

If they're lucky see if they'll throw in some Chee Wees and a Big shot Cola.

Alrighty, not saying I don't agree with with you, but that's one player, and you originally said "players." And like another poster already asked (Was it Begal, sorry if not), what do you really expect in return to gather all these extra picks? I was personally a fan of the trade up for Davenport as he was the highest ranked pass rushing DE in that class, according to Mike D, and that was our only major hole at the time. Now obviously, he hasn't stayed healthy, but has shown flashes when he is. But what is another team going to give us for him, looking objectively from the other side?

Like I said earlier I think they really only need about two more picks.

They picked up 1 from the Malcolm Brown trade and solved a couple of depth problems with the Varnett and Kpassignon signing.

If they trade one player and maybe trade down a little with a mid-round pick they can probably get 2-3 more selections.

They could probably get by with just one trading one more player.

If not they are really going to have to work the vet minimum pool and the UDFA ranks for depth.

EJ Gaines is still available. I'm not sure who else is available in free agency.

Im hoping this inspires the Saints to use thier draft picks on players who have a legitimate shot at making the roster and not on project players who end up not panning out and get cut after training camp. Players such as Leonard, Alize Mack and Stevens.
Who, who, who, and who???

:hihi:

My one concern is leaving CB to a draft position. Rarely is that position "up to speed" the year they're drafted. It usually takes a couple years before they "get it"

The Saints have been here before. This is no different than the retooling year where the took the salary cap hit for releasing players like Junior Galette and Jarious Byrd and came into the year with a UDFA helping to fill out the roster.

Payton is a good teacher, I think he enjoys the process and has an eye for what fits in his vision of his offense and defense.
This is exactly what I expect. Filling the roster (depth) with UDFA. Concern is the approach resulted ~3 years of average results, 9-7, (while having HOF QB). Could be worse with average QB play...setting my expectations accordingly.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom