Saints History: Recalling the emergency non-QB QBs ... (1 Viewer)

Doug B

Fanaticus Sanctorum
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Long-memory guys, this thread's for you. Recent events with the Saints have got me wondering about this:

Who have been the non-QB emergency QBs the Saints have had over the years?

The most notable one that everyone remembers is Guido Merkens. He mostly played special teams and a little bit of WR for the Saints, and also dabbled as a punter and defensive back during his career. He started one game at QB for the Saints in 1982 (12/26/1982 vs Atlanta) -- not sure of the circumstances. Archie Manning was traded after the first game, leaving Kenny Stabler and Merkens as the only two QBs on the roster. Stabler was hurt that week or something.

The other emergency QB that Mora Era fans will likely remember was WR Lonzell Hill. He only threw one pass during his career ... but I seem to recall a game where he finished out the 4th quarter simply handing off several times in a row. Maybe just for a three-and-out, maybe for two or three series. The memory is vague on that one.

I remembered a game back in 1989 playing Tampa Bay in Tampa. Bobby suffered a concussion. Fourcade came in and ran out of bound and got horse collar tackled and suffered a knee injury. Dave Wilson was inactive. Only emergency quarterback was Lonzel Hill. But for some reason, Mora continue to play Fourcade limping throughout the rest of the game.

Willie Snead, among the more recent ones.

Danny Wuerffel? (I kid)

I think in 2009 Lance Moore as dressed as the 3rd QB for a few games in which he didn't play when he was injured that season.

The operative question is who would be the emergency QB on Sunday if needed? My money is on Kamara but I could also see somebody like Austin Carr being capable. Who else? Larry Warford did participate in a QB challenge in preseason.

Under center? I don't think so, but he did throw this TD pass.

That video is pretty awesome !

It’s actually a GREAT pass TO Willie by Drew! If THAT throw is off? We’re talking return for TD and it’s not like some wild blitzing, jump off of the snap DE? Or worse yet, a blitzing DB
how GREAT would it be IF Bridgewater starts really “gliding” his flow , finds the “heart” of our Offense and only gets BETTER with every play? I believe it “Could” happen but being a bit more realistic? It just may be somewhat true as he does gain all things QB Room-wise he’s’ bound to get better, right? Drew’s going to be in there as well and maybe WHY he doesn’t go on the IR? I’m not sure what those rules are but if we keep him OFF of the IR just to keep him “involved” in every snap and be “in the Room” for QB discussion and breaking down the films from the next opponent? I WANT HIM THERE” one way or another even if it takes up a spot on the roster it’s a solid “WANT IT!”

What’s the difference inside of the QB room where they break down film of defenses and such that situation won’t change and now both Back Ups will alernate with one another without any preferential maybe so they both use the entire play book and since TB “used” to RUN with the ball from the back field. They should, most definitely run Hill/ Bridgewater specific plays which uses each one’s best and in several ironed out Super Plays which should be automatic scoring plays as they will get the ball to Alvin or Cook or Thomas! How could that play go wrong? I hope Coach plays some real football plays on those sea-chickens that are real , honest ankle snappers if you’re on Defense! Make them look foolish as every one! EVERY PLAYER we field plays on a whole new level, ALL of the CLOSE plays go OUR WAY........Man, I can see that happening and if I had money ON Seattle you a cinch the SAINTS blow ‘em out! Thing is , I’ve SEEN those sorts of games and we’re rarely on the good end of them but we’ve already tasted what that kind of blowout almost every year we may have two or more of those and THIS Sunday could bring all of THAT into play! Come on Guys! Let’s DO THIS THING! RISE ON HIGH!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom