Saints hold private visit with...Alec Ogletree (1 Viewer)

I hope that the Saints don't make this stupid mistake of drafting the wrong defensive first rounder...again.

Getting a DUI the day before the combine is a really bad sign. Let the bengals or raiders draft him

this really bothers me too. With the combine having so much influence on his future it is troublesome that he would not have his body as prepared and hydrated as possible. Makes you wonder where his head is for sure.

Yea he does. He could play any of the 4 LB spots. The article says he projects on the inside but my guess is if we do indeed draft him, we'd prolly plug him at SOLB since he has high potential as an edge rusher n he excells in pass coverage. He's 1 of the 3 players I covet in this draft (he, Jordan n Richardson) n I hope we can get him if not 1 of the other 2

Yap, I've seen the Georgia DC move him to the outside many times on 3rd down. In the NCG he would float over there right before the snap and gave Fluker a good fight at times.

I think he can play outside too, his size and speed at the combine is better than Jarvis Jones (pro day speed), He can tackle and cover and has pretty good speed.

I think he can play outside too, his size and speed at the combine is better than Jarvis Jones (pro day speed), He can tackle and cover and has pretty good speed.

Jones is a football player and Ogletree is an athlete. We already have an Ogletree on the team. His name is Martez Wilson. Except that Wilson is more athletic and can shed blocks.

If you caught a Georgia games last year you would know that who the better player is. Its like comparing Ricky Jackson to a less athletic, dumber Jon Vilma.

I don't remember the Saints really meeting a whole lot with the guys they drafted early. Am I wrong? I feel like they displayed little interest beforehand.

Jones is a football player and Ogletree is an athlete. We already have an Ogletree on the team. His name is Martez Wilson. Except that Wilson is more athletic and can shed blocks.

If you caught a Georgia games last year you would know that who the better player is. Its like comparing Ricky Jackson to a less athletic, dumber Jon Vilma.

Having caught all but one, I can tell you there was a demonstrable difference in the defense once Rambo and Ogletree were reinstated from suspension. Ogletree is a better football player than you are giving him credit for.

Can we have too many ILBs? I know we're doing our due diligence but let's say we draft Ogletree... we'd then have an ILB corps of

Lofton
JV
Hawthorne (ILB/OLB)
Chamberlain (ILB/OLB?)
Ogletree

You can never have enough good football players, and I know Rob Ryan had some injuries destroy his defense in Dallas... so QUALITY depth will be HUGE for us.

Take the BPA... if that guy is Ogletree, then I'm wit'it.

According to both Lindy's Sports and Pro Football Weekly's Draft guides, Ogletree is projected as a weakside or ROLB. He's the guy I want if we can't get Mingo. He ran a 4.63 40, was a former safety, has terrific quickness around the edge, and likes to hit.. A lengthy frame and long arms allows him to wrap up runners and QBs alike.

:plus-un2:

I don't remember the Saints really meeting a whole lot with the guys they drafted early. Am I wrong? I feel like they displayed little interest beforehand.

Nah. We've done it with early picks before. We met with Mark Ingram a good bit the year we drafted him(possibly because he was doing all his pre-draft training in nola) and Payton even told a crowd of people we were gonna draft him(jokingly) to a bunch of people at a fundraiser or something.

I also recall Cam Jordan talking about his private visit/workout here during his post-draft interview. He was joking that Gregg Williams poked his head in the room and joked about how they'd love to have him but there is no way he'd be around when we picked.
So we do have some history of having private meetings/workouts with high draft prospects we are interested in.
Personally I think we should have meetings with all prospects who people think are first round worthy. That way we never play our hand as to who we actually want on the busines side of it , plus we leave no stone unturned on the actual prospect side of it .

Drunk driving doesn't mean your a bad*** it means your a dumb***. And right before the combine makes you mentally ********.

Yet still, we obviously have interests in the guy. Ofcourse it doesn't mean we'll draft him, but he's definetely on the radar. And if SP wasn't bothered by it enuff not to do a private workout with him, then so b it

Look ppl make dumb decisions...especially young ppl. Its 1 of the unfortunate traits that characterizes us as human beings. If every dumb decision sum1 makes was always held against them in the form of keeping 1 from progressing through their talents, then there'd prolly b very little progress in anything. The guy didn't kill any1 thank God so if we do end up drafting him, lets let him move on n learn from it without continuous judging

Having caught all but one, I can tell you there was a demonstrable difference in the defense once Rambo and Ogletree were reinstated from suspension. Ogletree is a better football player than you are giving him credit for.

He cannot shed a block. That's my biggest concern with him. I think that he is an OLB in the 4-3 at the next level. He is a nickel LB in our system. He could develop into a good 4-3 OLB but honestly I am more confident in Martez Wilson at 3-4 WILB...so why waste a first rounder on him. There will be a very good OLB available at 15 that would be a huge upgrade.

According to both Lindy's Sports and Pro Football Weekly's Draft guides, Ogletree is projected as a weakside or ROLB. He's the guy I want if we can't get Mingo. He ran a 4.63 40, was a former safety, has terrific quickness around the edge, and likes to hit.. A lengthy frame and long arms allows him to wrap up runners and QBs alike.

:plus-un2:

OK... everything else I've seen has him pegged as an ILB.

His stock is rising, no matter what people think about his off the field issues. He is a first rounder, one GM on NFLnetwork has him either to the Giants or Pittsburgh. I'm not saying the Saints should pick him, but I wouldn't be surprised if he ends up being the pick.

We do this every year with multiple players it doesnt forecast anything. All it means is that we have more draft information on the extra players that every team is allowed to have private workouts with.

We might draft Ogletree if value fits the slot, we might draft a different LBer or we might think we can get Ogletree in the third round...or maybe something totally different.

Either way we will be prepared.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom