Saints hold private visit with...Alec Ogletree (1 Viewer)

subzer0

Pro-Bowler
Reaction score
NFL Draft 2013: Saints Hold Private Workout With Alec Ogletree
By Gene Higginbotham on Mar 29 2013, 2:37p 19
Daniel Shirey-US PRESSWIRE
The New Orleans Saints are taking a look at all their pass rushing options from the University of Georgia.

 SHARE (3)  TWEET (10) 19 COMMENTS
Apparently the New Orleans Saints aren't soley interested in linebacker Jarvis Jones from the University of Georgia when it comes to beefing up their pass rush from the upcoming NFL Draft.

According to WalterFootball.com, the Saints have held a private workout with linebacker Alec Ogletree as well. The Saints obviously want to get a closer look at Ogletree after seeing him perform at UGA's Pro Day last Thursday.

Ogletree is projected to be an inside linebacker in the Saints 3-4 scheme, unlike Jones who would be an outside linebacker. Jones also had a private workout as well, with defensive coordinator Rob Ryan putting him through his paces.

During his career at Georgia, Ogletree had 197 total tackles, 20 tackles for a loss, six sacks, one interception, and three forced fumbles. Despite his stellar college career, the linebacker has had off the field issues.

In September of 2010 he was arrested for misdemeanor theft related to a stolen scooter helmet that allegedly occurred in June of that year. He was suspended for the first game of that season.

Just a few days before the 2013 NFL Scouting Combine he was arrested on suspicion of driving under the influence in Arizona. After the arrest Ogletree was able to attend and go through the workouts.

Have we always held private workouts for potential draft picks? I just don't remember us doing that in years past. Whatever it takes to avoid a bust, I'm for.

Can we have too many ILBs? I know we're doing our due diligence but let's say we draft Ogletree... we'd then have an ILB corps of

Lofton
JV
Hawthorne (ILB/OLB)
Chamberlain (ILB/OLB?)
Ogletree

You can never have enough good football players, and I know Rob Ryan had some injuries destroy his defense in Dallas... so QUALITY depth will be HUGE for us.

Take the BPA... if that guy is Ogletree, then I'm wit'it.

If you read at article... We also had a private workout with Jarvis jones. Maybe it is a rob Ryan thing with private workouts

With all the LB attention I would be surprised if we didn't take one in the first.
Also last year they carried 10 d linemen we could see 10 lbs this year.

Can we have too many ILBs? I know we're doing our due diligence but let's say we draft Ogletree... we'd then have an ILB corps of

Lofton
JV
Hawthorne (ILB/OLB)
Chamberlain (ILB/OLB?)
Ogletree

You can never have enough good football players, and I know Rob Ryan had some injuries destroy his defense in Dallas... so QUALITY depth will be HUGE for us.

Take the BPA... if that guy is Ogletree, then I'm wit'it.

some of them will be special teams only guys im sure like Roby on offense. prob Chamberlain. if they draft this guy Vilma may go

He doesn't have physically the skill set to play outside?

Have we always held private workouts for potential draft picks? I just don't remember us doing that in years past. Whatever it takes to avoid a bust, I'm for.

Yes we have. I remember we brought in a bunch of guys before the 2010 draft including Sean Witherspoon. I was pretty sprung thinking we would get him.

He doesn't have physically the skill set to play outside?

Yea he does. He could play any of the 4 LB spots. The article says he projects on the inside but my guess is if we do indeed draft him, we'd prolly plug him at SOLB since he has high potential as an edge rusher n he excells in pass coverage. He's 1 of the 3 players I covet in this draft (he, Jordan n Richardson) n I hope we can get him if not 1 of the other 2

I might not be thrilled with taking him at 15, but if all the pass rushers are gone by that point and we trade down into the early-to-mid 20's (and picking up another pick or two), I'd be all about Ogletree. I know he's got some red flags off the field, but on it, in the few Georgia games I've seen over the past couple years, the dude always makes plays.

I was wondering how strong the Saints' interest was in Ogletree given his off-the-field issues. He's really good at coverage, and considering this is becoming a passing league more and more, I wouldn't mind seeing him on our roster if the FO thinks he'll be a good fit in the locker room.

Sounds like he has had too many off the field problems for my taste. Getting a DUI the day before the combine is a really bad sign. Let the bengals or raiders draft him

Sounds like he has had too many off the field problems for my taste. Getting a DUI the day before the combine is a really bad sign. Let the bengals or raiders draft him

Sometimes u just can't ignore overwhelming talent n Ogletree has it. If it weren't for his off-field issues, no doubt he'd b projected to go in the top 10. You can never have a team full of goodie 2 shoes. If we could pull back the curtain n look into the lives of these Saints players, Im pretty sure we'd find some things that we wouldn't neccessarily approve of

I have a uga friend who swears oglectree will be a better pro than Jarvis jones.. Says Jarvis more flashy as edge rusher but oglectree can do everything.. If we pick either of them at 15 I won't complain

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom