Saint's Interested in Balmer? (1 Viewer)

But Loomis has very little to do with talent evaluation. He's essentially a bridge between the business and football sides of things and manages the cap. He's just there to oversee things, but I believe Payton, Mueller, and Repriesh (sp) run things and unless there's some huge disagreement then Loomis stays out of football matters.

Yeah, this guy on this site (b/g.net) said the Saints are focusing heavily on the D-line, and specifically with Balmer. And states that Young won't be re-signed...don't know how reliable this guy is though...

http://blackandgold.com/forums/new-orleans-saints/19893-saints-attention-d-tackle.html

Also, since we are talking about Balmer...

At the combine/weigh-in: He was measured in at 6'4 and 308 pounds. He bench pressed 225 pounds...33 times.

http://fflivewire.com/players/Playe...&PlayerName=&pTeamID=99999999&PosNum=8&GO=GO!

I'd hate to know we had a top ten pick and used it to get the 3rd best player at a position when we could get the cream of the crop at another position of need.

Here's some other stuff on Balmer, that I found...seems to sound positive.

' Measured in at 6 feet 4 and a half inches tall and 308 pounds.

-Obvious during interview the defensive tackle is football smart. Went in depth about a sack against Maryland based solely on the foot alignment of the offensive lineman he was covering on said play.

- Gave the new staff all the credit for where he is today. "The taught me how to study film, watch what I eat, and rest properly."

- Compares his game to Richard Seymour of the New England Patriots.'

http://www.tfydraft.com/news.php?newsID=67

I'd hate to know we had a top ten pick and used it to get the 3rd best player at a position when we could get the cream of the crop at another position of need.

That's understandable, but a good player is a good player and needs are needs. Besides, you can't put too much stock into rankings; it's what they do at the next level that counts. Let's look at a recent history of DT rankings (final rankings of www.nfldraftcountdown.com). I didn't include 2006 or 2007 drafts because the jury's still out on them, but look at 2001-2005. Solid players in bold.

2005:

1. Travis Johnson Florida St. (16, Houston)
2. Shaun Cody USC (37, Detroit)
3. Luis Castillo Northwestern (28 San Diego)
4. Mike Patterson USC (31 Philly)

2004:

1. Tommie Harris, Oklahoma (14, Chicago)
2. Vince Wilfork, Miami (FL) (21, New England)

3. Randy Starks, Maryland (71 Tennessee)
4. Marcus Tubbs, Texas (23, Seattle)
5. Igor Olshansky, Oregon (35, San Diego)
6. Donnell Washington, Clemson (72, Green Bay)
7. Darnell Dockett, Florida St. (64, Arizona)

10. Terry Johnson, Washington (47, Chicago)

22. Corey Williams, Arkansas St. (179, Green Bay)

2003:

1. Dewayne Robertson, Kentucky (4, NYJ)
2. Jimmy Kennedy, Penn St. (12, St. Louis)
3. William Joseph, Miami (FL) (25, NYG)
4. Johnathan Sullivan, Georgia (You know who.)
5. Kevin Williams, Oklahoma St. (9, Minnesota)

2002:

1. John Henderson, Tennessee (9, Jacksonville)
2. Albert Haynesworth, Tennessee (15, Tennessee)

3. Wendell Bryant, Wisconsin (12, Arizona)
4. Ryan Sims, North Carolina (6, KC)

2001:

1. Gerard Warren, Florida (3, Cleveland)
2. Richard Seymour, Georgia (6, NE)
3. Damoine Lewis, Miami (FL) (12, St. Louis)
4. Willie Howard, Stanford (57, Minnesota)
5. Marcus Stroud, Georgia (13 Jacksonville)
6. Shaun Rogers, Texas (61, Detroit)

7. Tyrone Robertson, Hinds J.C. (238, Buffalo)
8. Ryan Pickett, Ohio St. (29, St. Louis)
9. Casey Hampton, Texas (19, Pittsburgh)

Mike Patterson was the 4th-ranked DT in 2005, yet he has emerged as better than Travis Johnson or Shaun Cody. Luis Castillo's tough to evaluate, as he plays end in a 3-4.

Darnell Dockett was the 7th ranked DT in 2004.

Kevin Williams was the 5th ranked DT in 2003; behind Jonathan Sullivan.

2002 was pretty straightforward; makes you wonder what the Chiefs were thinking with Sims at 6. The Cards taking Bryant at #12? Well, they ARE the Cards. Look at 2001: The Steelers thought differently from the consensus and got themselves an all-pro.

It's everywhere: Nnamdi Asomugha was the 9th-ranked CB in 2003 and all he's done is emerge as the one who could challenge Champ Bailey as the best CB in the whole league. (Also, Charles Tillman was ranked 11th.)

Who's to say Balmer won't be a solid player? He's a good athlete; his a tall, rangy athlete who might free up the pass-rush better than the others could. Since most of the people who are dissing Balmer have never even seen a North Carolina game, I'll hold off on drinking the Hatorade and trust the people watching the tape, conducting interviews and maybe, just maybe, learned a lesson of what NOT to look for, after the Sully debacle.

Last edited:
Who's to say Balmer won't be a solid player? He's a good athlete; his a tall, rangy athlete who might free up the pass-rush better than the others could. Since most of the people who are dissing Balmer have never even seen a North Carolina game, I'll hold off on drinking the Hatorade and trust the people watching the tape, conducting interviews and maybe, just maybe, learned a lesson of what NOT to look for, after the Sully debacle.

Good post, canuck.:plus-un2: 95% of the board including myself hasn't seen the guy play so its pretty unfair to bury him just yet.

That's understandable, but a good player is a good player and needs are needs. Besides, you can't put too much stock into rankings; it's what they do at the next level that counts. Let's look at a recent history of DT rankings (final rankings of www.nfldraftcountdown.com). I didn't include 2006 or 2007 drafts because the jury's still out on them, but look at 2001-2005. Solid players in bold.

2005:

1. Travis Johnson Florida St.
2. Shaun Cody USC
3. Luis Castillo Northwestern
4. Mike Patterson USC

2004:

1. Tommie Harris, Oklahoma
2. Vince Wilfork, Miami (FL)

3. Randy Starks, Maryland
4. Marcus Tubbs, Texas
5. Igor Olshansky, Oregon
6. Donnell Washington, Clemson
7. Darnell Dockett, Florida St.

22. Corey Williams, Arkansas St.

2003:

1. Dewayne Robertson, Kentucky
2. Jimmy Kennedy, Penn St.
3. William Joseph, Miami (FL)
4. Johnathan Sullivan, Georgia
5. Kevin Williams, Oklahoma St.

2002:

1. John Henderson, Tennessee
2. Albert Haynesworth, Tennessee

3. Wendell Bryant, Wisconsin
4. Ryan Sims, North Carolina
5. Anthony Weaver, Notre Dame
6. Larry Tripplett, Washington

2001:

1. Gerard Warren, Florida
2. Richard Seymour, Georgia
3. Damoine Lewis, Miami (FL)
4. Willie Howard, Stanford
5. Marcus Stroud, Georgia
6. Shaun Rogers, Texas

7. Tyrone Robertson, Hinds J.C.
8. Ryan Pickett, Ohio St.
9. Casey Hampton, Texas

Mike Patterson was the 4th-ranked DT in 2005, yet he has emerged as better than Travis Johnson or Shaun Cody. Luis Castillo's tough to evaluate, as he plays end in a 3-4.

Darnell Dockett was the 7th ranked DT in 2004.

Kevin Williams was the 5th ranked DT in 2003; behind Jonathan Sullivan.

2002 was pretty straightforward; makes you wonder what the Chiefs were thinking with Sims at 6. The Cards taking Bryant at #12? Well, they ARE the Cards. Look at 2001: The Steelers thought differently from the consensus and got themselves an all-pro.

It's everywhere: Nnamdi Asomugha was the 9th-ranked CB in 2003 and all he's done is emerge as the one who could challenge Champ Bailey as the best CB in the whole league. (Also, Charles Tillman was ranked 11th.)

Dont get me wrong, its not that I wouldnt want Balmer on the team simply because he is the 3rd ranked DT in the draft. Its just that I feel 10 would be too high to take him because we can likely trade back to pick up some extra picks and still get him

Last edited:
Dont get me wrong, its not that I wouldnt want Balmer on the team simply because he is the 3rd ranked DT in the draft. Its just that I feel 10 would be too high to take him because we can likely trade back to pick up some extra picks and still get him

Well, at #10 or #40, he is what he is. :hihi: Either he'll be a good player, or he won't; where he's drafted won't impact how well he plays. If we take him at 10, he'll be pegged a "reach", but, if he turns into a stud, we'll think our guys are visionaries. If we trade down and take him at 20, we took him at his slotted position and we expect what we expect; if he busts, well, at least we didn't spend a #10 pick on him. Regardless, we're not drafting him to play up to his draft slot, we're drafting him to be an impact player, no matter where he's drafted. Plus, at 10, all the elite prospects will be gone and the difference between 10 and 20 isn't that big. This is a draft that is deep with good, but not spectacular players.

We need a DT, this guy seems to have it going on; I'm open to the idea. You've got to think that they learned something after Sully.

Well, at #10 or #40, he is what he is. :hihi:

Nah man, thats not what Im saying. Im saying we could move back and get more picks for him if none of the teams between 10 and wherever we trade back to are likely to take him and to not do so would be a waste IMO. Not that picking him at a different spot makes him a different player. Its like if we would have taken Colston in the first round. In hind sight, yeah, he should have been a first rounder. But if we could wait and get him in the 7th it would be a waste to take him in the first over somebody who wouldnt be there later.

Balmer had 1 good season in 4 years. This is what I've found out....

Lacks consistency
Has trouble taking on double teams
Lower body strength needs work
A work in progress.

The guy has all the tools to be a very good player but everything I've read online tells me that he's either a late bloomer/sleeper or a bust. His Bust meter is pretty high. Scares the crap out of a lot of people on SR.

it took several years before Balmer was able to become a steady contributor. For three seasons at North Carolina, Balmer showed marginal work ethic and there was too much inconsistency in his play. The new UNC coaching staff ignited a passion in his play, but you have to wonder if it is the start of good things to come or just a one-year wonder driven by the prospect of going to the NFL. He needs to develop better lower-body strength, as he struggles vs. double teams, but when he keeps his pads down, he is effective at shooting the gaps and generating pursuit in the backfield. He has a strong hand punch to shock and jolt blockers, evident by his solid play in containing the run in 2007.

Keep in mind that the Bills are interested in a DT and Balmer's name has been mentioned. The Bengals are also looking to improve their defense and maybe Balmer is on their radar. It could all be smokescreen or we are trying to force a trade from a team who really wants to get him or prevent someone from trading ahead of us and take the player we're really targeting. o_O

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom