Saints interested in marlon mack (1 Viewer)

I think Lamar Miller has plugged that hole for a lot less money.

If Miller is promoted to the active roster, he'll cost almost an identical amount. It's definitely not about money, but if the Saints (or another team) think Mack is better and/or worth the pick required to acquire him.

Can he play WR? Can we get a legitimate WR? RB is not our issue. We need WRs. I'd trade Ian Book for a WR at this point.

Although I mentioned Mack a few days ago, I did so with a degree of caution in the back of my mind. Here is an article that discusses the challenges NFL RB's face when returning from an achilles injury.

Why not trade for Ingram?
Is he actually available? Would today's MI be an improvement?
Can he play WR? Can we get a legitimate WR? RB is not our issue. We need WRs. I'd trade Ian Book for a WR at this point.
What WR, that is actually available, would be an upgrade for us?

Could be that Mack is the only player that we can afford who would improve the team. IF we trade for him, that is.

Is he actually available? Would today's MI be an improvement?

What WR, that is actually available, would be an upgrade for us?

Could be that Mack is the only player that we can afford who would improve the team. IF we trade for him, that is.
I'm pretty sure there are WRs out there that we can trade to a team the needs a QB.

We could have even gotten Julio for cheap.

Hindsight is so cool, huh?

IF TJJ hadn't been hurt .....
IF we had more $$$ .....
IF Murray had looked better in pre-season .....

But those types of decisions aren't made in a vacuum. Murray was outperformed and then cut and TJJ was injured and we were over the cap. :shrug:
We weren't over the cap. It was a cut to generate space, but we weren't over. We've been under the cap since the 2021 league year started on March 17th, Murray wasn't released until September 7th.

We weren't over the cap. It was a cut to generate space, but we weren't over. We've been under the cap since the 2021 league year started on March 17th, Murray wasn't released until September 7th.
You're right. But to some extent it is semantics. We were still making financial moves to stay under the cap as we churned the roster. Note that I said " IF we had more $$$", not that he was a direct cap casualty.

Edit: yeah, I mentioned being over the cap. True. Meaning we needed to continue to make moves to stay under. Bad choice of words on my part.

Last edited:
Putting aside if the Saints would have wanted Julio, I don't think it is as far-fetched as many believe for a few reasons:

1. The Falcons know/knew they were in a rebuilding mode, and even a year away from that most likely (when they can get out from under Matt Ryan's deal cap wise).
2. Because they know that, they'd probably be more inclined to deal an aging wide receiver that might could help their enemy this year, but likely not 2-4 years from now.
3. Terry Fontenot is the new Atlanta GM, having come from the Saints. So there is a working familiarity there.
4. The Saints have extra picks due to the exits of Fontenot, etc (minority hires).

So I don't think it is that far off -- as we've seen teams trade older vets before (Pats/Bills with Bledsoe), knowing it would strengthen their draft capital but likely not hurt them down the road.

That all said, I don't think the Saints had any interest in another injury-hobbled WR who can sometimes irk the team.

I really liked Marlon Mack up until he tore his achilles. Hard to trust any player after that injury but especially a RB. It could be a low risk/high reward deal if we're talking about a late round pick though. Before his injury he was a workhorse.

And I don't understand all this crying over spilled Latavius Murray. He's gone. What's done is done. He was outplayed by a younger RB and he was expensive so they moved on. There was no way to know that the younger back would get hurt. Murray looked like he was mentally checked out with the Saints. I was surprised they even offered to keep him at a reduced rate because he looked like a spent force.

The way people talk you'd think we let a prime Adrian Peterson walk out the door. Murray is averaging 10 carries for 35 yards a game so far. He's averaging 3.6 yards per attempt. So let's try not to get carried away here.

Putting aside if the Saints would have wanted Julio, I don't think it is as far-fetched as many believe for a few reasons:

1. The Falcons know/knew they were in a rebuilding mode, and even a year away from that most likely (when they can get out from under Matt Ryan's deal cap wise).
2. Because they know that, they'd probably be more inclined to deal an aging wide receiver that might could help their enemy this year, but likely not 2-4 years from now.
3. Terry Fontenot is the new Atlanta GM, having come from the Saints. So there is a working familiarity there.
4. The Saints have extra picks due to the exits of Fontenot, etc (minority hires).

So I don't think it is that far off -- as we've seen teams trade older vets before (Pats/Bills with Bledsoe), knowing it would strengthen their draft capital but likely not hurt them down the road.

That all said, I don't think the Saints had any interest in another injury-hobbled WR who can sometimes irk the team.
Some good points but realistically, when was the last time the Falcons made a trade with the Saints? Or vice versa?

Wayne Gandy for Scott back in 2006? 15 years? I can't recall anything more recent.

Wasnt Jones traded? Absolutely zero chance atl would’ve traded him here.
There may be something out there, but I sure can't remember it.

Edit: Oops, sorry, meant to respond to Thunderchild above about Saints/Falcons trading.

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom