Saints [interested in] Revis? RUMOR (1 Viewer)

melecoaze

Brazilian Saint
Reaction score
Incarcerated Bob IBN
Once again (Just wanna get on the nerves of all the haters/****** bloggers) VIKINGS / BRONCOS / SAINTS -- MADE OFFERS FOR #REVIS L48Hours

Yes, I know its Incarcerated Bob. Questionable source but could it be true?

One would hope it is true, but it seems like we couldn't afford him considering our cap situation.

Making an offer is one thing, making an offer that he'll accept is another.

Yeah unless Loomis is purging the crap out of our roster I don't see this as even being a possibility with the shape we're in with the cap.

Seems extremely unlikely..that'd be awesome but I don't see how this would be possible.

While Incarcerated Bob has zero credibility, I do not think it would be so farfetched for the Saints to pursue Revis assuming they can make it work cap wise. It would give Rob Ryan the shutdown CB that makes his defense effective. He had it in Oakland with Nnamdi Asomugha, sought it with Joe Haden and Morris Claiborne in Cleveland and Dallas, respectively, and will try to find someone who can fulfill that role.

I have thought about this some, and the only thing that scares me is the costs in terms of money for Revis. Right now, he does not have any leverage in terms of getting a new deal. But eventually, he will land a new contract, especially if he has an outstanding season. I figure that the Saints could offer Chris Ivory, a 4th round draft pick this year and a conditional 3rd next year that could be second rounder pick if Revis achieves certain benchmarks.

I have also thought about the Broncos being a landing spot. They have something like $40 million to spend and the need for a CB. It makes sense, especially with Champ Bailey getting older. Of course, if they landed Revis, he would have to switch numbers or cough up major dough to get Bailey to give him #24. I do not see that happening!

Despite his talents, would anyone really want him at that insane cap figure? Don't forget he is coming off an ACL tear.

From a cap perspective, swallowing Revis' contract this year is not exactly hard.

His deal calls for only a $3 million base salary, the other $6 million is in bonus money. Some of that may be in workout bonuses and the like, but the fact is that his 2013 cap number is doable.

The greater issue, of course, is that he will be very expensive in a trade, too expensive for a one year rental. So the question will be, can we fit his inevitable extension in our cap in 2014/2015? A much dicier proposition.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom