Saints interested in Tate (Rumor) (1 Viewer)

Tate has about $5 million left on his deal for this year and a dead cap hit of about ~$5 million if we cut him after this season.

You’d basically be paying at least $10 million (plus draft compensation) for someone to get you through the next two weeks without Sanders and Thomas. That’s $10 million that would otherwise go to extensions for our younger players when the cap rolls over.

HARD pass.
Deadcap doesn't transfer in trade

Who is he accrediting this report to? This is the same as someone who can take Mike Florio’s latest crappy article about MT and say “The Saints are reportedly thinking about trading Mike Thomas”.

The objective should be to go all in for Drew’s last year. We could worry about next year when the time comes. I’d rather not have to think about “what could’ve been” by not making moves. The past 3 years does that enough for me personally. If you are not trying to get better, then you are only getting worse.

Were not talking about adding a prime pass rusher for that kind of $. We’re talking about a player who, at best, will be the 5th option in our passing game in two weeks.

Tate is not worth it.

Who is he accrediting this report to? This is the same as someone who can take Mike Florio’s latest crappy article about MT and say “The Saints are reportedly thinking about trading Mike Thomas”.

The only place I’ve seen it “reported” is here:

Tate has about $5 million left on his deal for this year and a dead cap hit of about ~$5 million if we cut him after this season.

You’d basically be paying at least $10 million (plus draft compensation) for someone to get you through the next two weeks without Sanders and Thomas. That’s $10 million that would otherwise go to extensions for our younger players when the cap rolls over.

HARD pass.

Agreed. Financially it isn’t a sound move. If he were to agree to some kind of sign and trade situation where he restructured to a cap-friendly deal to get out of New York and then was traded, I could see making that work. But for what he’s got left in the tank and the high price tag, it’s just not worth it in my opinion.

because Incarcerated Bob is not reputable.

There's a difference between social media reporters and reputable reporters.

Yeah, reputable reports get banned from social media by the NFL for breaking news that they did not want to be leaked. Rappaport for breaking the Titans practice report, but getting banned for a manscaping tweet.

The question is, how soon could he contribute even if we got him? As shown by players like Sanders and Cook, it seems to take a while to learn the offense and gain chemistry with Drew. And with Sanders only having to miss, what, a game or two at the most, and Thomas coming back soon, this wouldn't make much sense to me.

It

It hurts to think if we had Sanders Last year Saints get first round bye, homefield through playoffs and probably make Superbowl. Likewise in 18 another offensive playmaker would have helped. Draft picks dont mean crap when your goal is Superbowl. A Superbowl appearance is worth it for a couple down years. A Superbowl win is definitely worth it for a few down years
Agree 100%. I’m fine with going all in and punting next season.

The question is, how soon could he contribute even if we got him? As shown by players like Sanders and Cook, it seems to take a while to learn the offense and gain chemistry with Drew. And with Sanders only having to miss, what, a game or two at the most, and Thomas coming back soon, this wouldn't make much sense to me.
Adding another weapon makes perfect sense, when you factor in the “unknowns” such as injuries, Covid, or punching a teammate for that matter😂. Especially when it’s a weapon that can fit into our system. Get him in now and he would gel within the next couple of weeks

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom