Saints involved in trade talks for Robert Quinn (Update: Will visit Saints Monday 3/25) (2 Viewers)

Wonder if the meetings with the Saints and Cowgirls is about an extension. It would be hard to give up draft capital we really do t have for a 1 year rental. I know we did it with Teddy...but consistently adding youth is the sign of a long term winning franchise.

Wonder if the meetings with the Saints and Cowgirls is about an extension. It would be hard to give up draft capital we really do t have for a 1 year rental. I know we did it with Teddy...but consistently adding youth is the sign of a long term winning franchise.

I understand what you're saying but at the same time the Browns and Jags have been adding youth for as long as I can remember with mixed results. It's like The Force, you have to have balance.

If we trade a 5th round pick for Quinn and he's great for us for one year helping lead us on a deep playoff run, and then he leaves, was it worth it? We could've hit on the 5th round pick or that 5th round pick could've been cut in camp. I mean, SP has been known to cut 4th rounders in camp.

For me the opportunity to add a good player is more appealing than the opportunity to possibly add a good player. From the 5th round on it's just a crap shoot.

I understand what you're saying but at the same time the Browns and Jags have been adding youth for as long as I can remember with mixed results. It's like The Force, you have to have balance.

If we trade a 5th round pick for Quinn and he's great for us for one year helping lead us on a deep playoff run, and then he leaves, was it worth it? We could've hit on the 5th round pick or that 5th round pick could've been cut in camp. I mean, SP has been known to cut 4th rounders in camp.

For me the opportunity to add a good player is more appealing than the opportunity to possibly add a good player. From the 5th round on it's just a crap shoot.

Agreed. Whether it is a 1st, 5th, or 7th round pick the player's potential is nothing more than just potential until they show something in the NFL. Clearly the higher draft picks result in player's with more potential but if we can trade a low round pick for a proven player that we can then keep on a deal that makes sense to the team then that's what you do.

I wonder If the Saints think that the bad toe that Davenport has may be causing concerns ?
We need more depth, once he got initially hurt, our pass rush was never the same the rest of the season. He played hurt the rest of the season because we had no one else that was better than a rookie with 1 foot.

Yeah you'd have to imagine he's looking for a 3-4 year deal (probably his last) instead of just playing out his one year left so he doesn't have to go through free agency next season. The older you get, the more you just wanna put some roots down for your family. Quinn isn't a guy that needs a prove it season. Even if his play declines a bit over the next few years, I don't see a problem inking him to a 3-4 year deal assuming it takes declining future play into account. Cam is gonna need a new deal soon, so it just doesn't make sense to add a 3rd DE for star starter $. Hope we find a nice middle ground, but I'd honestly prefer to spend the money on Cook if it's one or the other.

We need more depth, once he got initially hurt, our pass rush was never the same the rest of the season. He played hurt the rest of the season because we had no one else that was better than a rookie with 1 foot.

you always need more depth. the 2017 Eagles had a ton of depth in the defensive front that just kept rotating in and out to stay fresh while wearing down the other team's OLine

For the life of me I can't find the similarities between Alex Brown and Robert Quinn. Brown was 31 years old when ha came here. Brown was an all around good player averaging 5 Sacks and 47 Tackles a year, but he was never a Pro Bowler. He was never First Team All Pro or Defensive Player of the year like Quinn.

Quinn is 28 years old. He should have a few prime years left.
Key word being should

The more I think about adding Quinn or Ansah the more it makes sense. We don't know how long Rankins will be out and he was a major factor in our pass rush lat season. Dennis Allen has shown that he wants to rely on the front 4 to generate the pass rush.

Under DA the LBers haven't been much of a factor in the pass rush. The LB corp combined for 10 Sacks last season and that's the most Sacks by a LBer corp under DA with the Saints. And our MLB was responsible for half of those.

It's imperative that we maintain that pass rush up front. Without it the wheels will fall off. So how do you do that with Okafor gone, Rankins hurt, and Oneyemata likely suspended? Those three combined for 16.5 Sacks last year. How do you replace that production? It looks like the plan is to add another proven pass rusher at DE and slide Jordan down to DT at times. This is what it could look like:

DE - Davenport
DT - Malcolm Brown or Mario Edwards
DT - Jordan
DE - Quinn/Ansah

That's nasty. And when Rankins comes back, wow.

Last edited:
The more I think about adding Quinn or Ansah the more it makes sense. We don't know how long Rankins will be out and he was a major factor in our pass rush lat season. Dennis Allen has shown that he wants to rely on the front 4 to generate the pass rush.

Under DA the LBers haven't been much of a factor in the pass rush. The LB corp combined for 10 Sacks last season and that's the most Sacks by a LBer corp under DA with the Saints. And our MLB was responsible for half of those.

It's imperative that we maintain that pass rush up front. Without it the wheels will fall off. So how do you do that with Okafor gone, Rankins hurt, and Oneyemata likely suspended? Those three combined for 16.5 Sacks last year. How do you replace that production? It looks like the plan is to add another proven pass rusher at DE and slide Jordan down to DT at times. This is what it could look like:

DE - Davenport
DT - Davison Brown
DT - Jordan
DE - Quinn/Ansah

Fixed it for you

DE - Davenport
DT - Davison
DT - Jordan
DE - Quinn/Ansah

So does this indicate that we have indeed missed on Hendrickson ? . . wasn't he a 3rd rounder. If we did we did, just curious. I am all for having as many pass rushers as possible, but when Onyemata and Rankins return does someone get cut. Can only carry so many bodies

DE - Davenport
DT - Davison
DT - Jordan
DE - Quinn/Ansah

What about Hendrickson . . .another wasted pick ?

So does this indicate that we have indeed missed on Hendrickson ? . . wasn't he a 3rd rounder. If we did we did, just curious. I am all for having as many pass rushers as possible, but when Onyemata and Rankins return does someone get cut. Can only carry so many bodies

What about Hendrickson . . .another wasted pick ?

Hendrickson has been solid bakcup DE. He has't killed us when he's played, but he hasn't done anything special. He's just not a playmaker. He's "just a guy." Which is not a bad return for a 3rd round pick in the NFL. Sure you hope for more but it's always a crap shoot in the draft. Especially after the upper half of the first round. And Hedrickson was always going to be a project. He played at Florida Atlantic IIRC so he was always going to need time to develop against much better competition. Maybe he takes the next step this year, but I don't think this team is going to sit back and hope when it comes to getting pressure on the QB. We spent many years with little to no pressure from the front 4 other than Jordan and it really cost this team a few competitive years.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom