Saints issue statement on Archdiocese's scandal (1 Viewer)

Redjem

Editor, Writer, Podcast Host and SR Twitter Ninja
Staff member
Super Moderator
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Statement from the New Orleans Saints
Thumbnail-LogoBlk-2560x1440-050118

New Orleans Saints
While there is current litigation relative to the New Orleans Archdiocese and clergy sex abuse, our comments are limited only to the scope of our involvement. The New Orleans Saints organization has always had a very strong relationship with the Archdiocese. The Archdiocese reached out to a number of community and civic minded leaders seeking counsel on handling the pending media attention that would come with the release of the clergy names in November of 2018. Greg Bensel, Senior Vice President of Communications for the New Orleans Saints, was contacted and offered input on how to work with the media. The advice was simple and never wavering. Be direct, open and fully transparent, while making sure that all law enforcement agencies were alerted. The New Orleans Saints, Greg Bensel and Mrs. Gayle Benson were and remain offended, disappointed and repulsed by the actions of certain past clergy. We remain steadfast in support of the victims who have suffered and pray for their continued healing.
Further, the Saints have no interest in concealing information from the press or public. At the current discovery stage in the case of Doe v. Archdiocese, the Saints, through their counsel, have merely requested the court to apply the normal rules of civil discovery to the documents that the Saints produced and delivered to Mr. Doe's counsel. Until the documents are admitted into evidence at a public trial or hearing in the context of relevant testimony by persons having knowledge of the documents and the events to which they pertain, the use of the documents should be limited to the parties to the case and their attorneys. If admitted into evidence of the case, the documents and the testimony pertaining to them will become part of the public record of the trial of the case.

so, exactly what I assumed would happen regardless of the saints involvement happened. the church reached out to its allies to ask for guidance and the allies responded.

fwiw... the advice given, if those exact words were used, is far less damning and far more heartening.

Further, the Saints have no interest in concealing information from the press or public. At the current discovery stage in the case of Doe v. Archdiocese, the Saints, through their counsel, have merely requested the court to apply the normal rules of civil discovery to the documents that the Saints produced and delivered to Mr. Doe's counsel. Until the documents are admitted into evidence at a public trial or hearing in the context of relevant testimony by persons having knowledge of the documents and the events to which they pertain, the use of the documents should be limited to the parties to the case and their attorneys. If admitted into evidence of the case, the documents and the testimony pertaining to them will become part of the public record of the trial of the case.

The Saints have asked for a Protective Order to keep documents confidential. Many companies/entities that are not a party to the lawsuit that have their documents requested in discovery ask for this relief. Basically, "we will produce the documents, but we don't want them disclosed outside of this litigation." Asking for this relief in no way indicates that the Saints are trying to hide anything. I have had companies that are not a party to the lawsuit request the same from me when I have asked for documents. I have always agreed to some sort of Protective Order on those documents from non-parties, usually with a phone call/email, and a signed agreed order. Just because the Saints have asked for this very standard relief is in no way an indication that they did anything wrong, and is not "hiding documents."

The Saints have asked for a Protective Order to keep documents confidential. Many companies/entities that are not a party to the lawsuit that have their documents requested in discovery ask for this relief. Basically, "we will produce the documents, but we don't want them disclosed outside of this litigation." Asking for this relief in no way indicates that the Saints are trying to hide anything. I have had companies that are not a party to the lawsuit request the same from me when I have asked for documents. I have always agreed to some sort of Protective Order on those documents from non-parties, usually with a phone call/email, and a signed agreed order. Just because the Saints have asked for this very standard relief is in no way an indication that they did anything wrong, and is not "hiding documents."

I have no doubt that what you're saying is true. The problem is that the Archdiocese (and the Church, in general) has lost the right to the benefit of the doubt when it comes to this issue.

I understand Gayle having a close relationship with the Catholic Church, but shouldn't the Church have hired their own PR Firm instead of the Saints. They have a lot of money to hire one.

I have no doubt that what you're saying is true. The problem is that the Archdiocese (and the Church, in general) has lost the right to the benefit of the doubt when it comes to this issue.

And if the documents were coming from the Church, I would agree. The documents are coming from the Saints, and I haven't seen anything that would indicate that they have lost the right to that benefit of the doubt. Things may change as the documents come out, and those documents may show the Saints were complicit in a coverup (I doubt that, but it could happen). However, this request for a protective order in and of itself is evidence of nothing.

With that said, if there are documents that are harmful to the Saints and the Plaintiffs wish to use those documents outside of this particular litigation, they could ask the court to lift the protective order as to those documents.

However, that doesn't generate clicks: "Saints Move for Standard Protective Order Before Turning Over Documents" isn't going to get people to click on the article.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom