Saints jersey number changes (3 Viewers)

Pause GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY
All I'm saying is, if a LB makes a play you wouldn't confuse them with a Corner or DT. They aren't the same size. On offense, I wouldn't confuse a RB or Receiver with a TE or O-lineman. Folks make a bigger deal of it than it is. And besides that, if someone makes a play in a Saints uni and you don't know who it is then you probably aren't a die hard fan. Most of us know this roster inside out because we are here on SR 24/7 & 365. We see every transaction and follow the news daily even in the boring offseason.

Last edited:
All I'm saying is, if a LB makes a play you wouldn't confuse them with a Corner or DT. They aren't the same size. On offense, I wouldn't confuse a RB or Receiver with a TE or O-lineman. Folks make a bugger deal of it than it is. And besides that, if someone makes a play in a Saints uni and you don't know who it is then you probably aren't a die hard fan. Most of us know this roster inside out because we are here on SR 24/7 & 365. We see every transaction and follow the news daily even in the boring offseason.
We all know what we are looking at, we just do not like the numbers.

All I'm saying is, if a LB makes a play you wouldn't confuse them with a Corner or DT. They aren't the same size. On offense, I wouldn't confuse a RB or Receiver with a TE or O-lineman. Folks make a bugger deal of it than it is. And besides that, if someone makes a play in a Saints uni and you don't know who it is then you probably aren't a die hard fan. Most of us know this roster inside out because we are here on SR 24/7 & 365. We see every transaction and follow the news daily even in the boring offseason.

This. There's no scenario where the guy wearing #4 throws it to the guy wearing #7 and you're wondering, "oh what position does #7 play?"

Okay, there's exactly ONE scenario like this in all of NFL football, but besides that...!

I don’t think anyone is saying they won’t know our own players. And sorry, but I have been close to the game most of my life, and even I sometimes can’t tell a DE from an LB, a SS from a WLB, etc. I know full well who Werner is on the field, but if I’m not a Saints fan, used to traditional numbers, if I saw him I’d be wondering who that safety was that made that play.

For me, it’s just not natural for the NFL level, and looks dumb and amateurish. Sue me. 😂

May I ask, how old are you? I am in my mid 40s. Maybe age/time exposure to the league has something to do with it.

I don’t think anyone is saying they won’t know our own players. And sorry, but I have been close to the game most of my life, and even I sometimes can’t tell a corner from a safety, a SS from a WLB, etc.

For me, it’s just not natural for the NFL level, and looks dumb and amateurish. Sue me. 😂

May I ask, how old are you? I am in my mid 40s. Maybe age/time exposure to the league has something to do with it.
I'm 46 and I like it. It makes some of the guys look younger to me. Don't know why, but it does. Still, I know the numbers of our players so it doesn't confuse me.

I'm 46 and I like it. It makes some of the guys look younger to me. Don't know why, but it does. Still, I know the numbers of our players so it doesn't confuse me.

Interesting. Well to each his own. No need for the mightier than thou talk about it as if people don’t know football or their own teams’ players just because they prefer traditional numbering rules they have watched for their entire lives, rules that were in place for a reason.

This. There's no scenario where the guy wearing #4 throws it to the guy wearing #7 and you're wondering, "oh what position does #7 play?"

Okay, there's exactly ONE scenario like this in all of NFL football, but besides that...!
I was going to say until your last words … I fully expect to see that happen once (at least) this season. Carr wants it.

All I'm saying is, if a LB makes a play you wouldn't confuse them with a Corner or DT. They aren't the same size. On offense, I wouldn't confuse a RB or Receiver with a TE or O-lineman. Folks make a bigger deal of it than it is. And besides that, if someone makes a play in a Saints uni and you don't know who it is then you probably aren't a die hard fan. Most of us know this roster inside out because we are here on SR 24/7 & 365. We see every transaction and follow the news daily even in the boring offseason.

Sorry for quoting the same post twice. But here are two future HOFers, arguably the best coach in league history and best player in league history, complaining about it for the same reasons posters here are.

Brady's issue had to do with pre-snap identification of defensive players. Previously, linebackers had to wear jersey numbers in the 50s or 90s, while defensive backs had to wear jerseys in the 20s, 30s or 40s. For a quarterback and an offensive line, identifying the Mike linebacker will become trickier, as will spotting a blitzing defensive back (as opposed to an in-the-box linebacker).

You mean to tell me Tom friggin’ Brady has trouble identifying players and you’re coming down on fans and observers for saying they also can’t?

Interesting. Well to each his own. No need for the mightier than thou talk about it as if people don’t know football or their own teams’ players just because they prefer traditional numbering rules they have watched for their entire lives, rules that were in place for a reason.
Some people say it confuses them. That's odd to me if you truly follow this team. If someone makes a play and they don't know who it is then they don't know their team players. That's not my opinion, but a fact they are admitting by saying they don't know who people are because their number doesn’t follow a certain position group. No need to jab at me for their lack of knowledge. Learn the numbers or watch confused and hope the announcers tell you. That's all I can say.

Some people say it confuses them. That's odd to me if you truly follow this team. If someone makes a play and they don't know who it is then they don't know their team players. That's not my opinion, but a fact they are admitting by saying they don't know who people are because their number doesn’t follow a certain position group. No need to jab at me for their lack of knowledge. Learn the numbers or watch confused and hope the announcers tell you. That's all I can say.

You’re the one introducing the strawman argument of narrowing this down to our own team. No one is speaking of identifying players on THIS team that we all know.

You’d be surprised to learn about the football acumen, knowledge, and experience of some of the people you’re trying to talk down to, and I’ll leave it at that.

Sorry for quoting the same post twice. But here are two future HOFers, arguably the best coach in league history and best player in league history, complaining about it for the same reasons posters here are.

You mean to tell me Tom friggin’ Brady has trouble identifying players and you’re coming down on fans and observers for saying they also can’t?
Kwon was number 5. I never had trouble knowing he was #5. Alontae is #1. No problem there either.

Tom plays a new team every week. That's not the same as a Saints fan watching the same team for TC and the whole season. Besides, when you watch us play are you really that concerned if the player that made the tackle for the opposing team was a LB or a safety?

You’re the one introducing the strawman argument of narrowing this down to our own team. No one is speaking of THIS team.
OK Man. I like it and you don't. Cool.

FWIW, I could care less about what numbers players for the other 31 teams wear. I'm also not a QB who needs to identify a Mike from a safety.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom