Saints jersey number changes (1 Viewer)

Kwon was number 5. I never had trouble knowing he was #5. Alontae is #1. No problem there either.

Tom plays a new team every week. That's not the same as a Saints fan watching the same team for TC and the whole season.

For the millionth time, this isn’t about our time.

Here’s a concept maybe you’re not familiar with since you seem to be so zoned in on the Saints argument - some of us, many of us, watch the whole league and not just our own favorite team to root for.

Some of us even have extensive knowledge of most of the league, but not 100%, so little things like what Brady talked about, helps when watching NFL games.

I get it, some fans watch other games or watch Saints opponents and simply look at the Jersey of the player as the being the bad guys on the other team, and nothing more than nameless/faceless individuals, but for those of us that study/watch the games closely, or for those that have played/coached the game, Jersey number identity was a helpful tool at the NFL level.

Again, the rules were in place for a reason and served a very valid purpose for decades. Just because the rules are gone now does not invalidate that purpose.

For the millionth time, this isn’t about our time.

Here’s a concept maybe you’re not familiar with since you seem to be so zoned in on the Saints argument - some of us, many of us, watch the whole league and not just our own favorite team to root for.

Some of us even have extensive knowledge of most of the league, but not 100%, so little things like what Brady talked about, helps when watching NFL games.

Again, the rules were in place for a reason and served a very valid purpose for decades. Just because the rules are gone now does not invalidate that purpose.
Yall make it more than it is. It's really not a big deal. Nobody complains when it comes to college football because ultimately, it really doesn't matter. But do you bro.

Yall make it more than it is. It's really not a big deal. Nobody complains when it comes to college football because ultimately, it really doesn't matter. But do you bro.
Only the pro league enforced a numbering system for each position. It’s only been that way for about the last 5 decades in the pros. Pros originally wore any number at any position like HS and college so it’s actually returning to the traditional way.

I agree we’re kind of relying on the old temporary numbering system too much to identify a position in a game, instead of knowing the player based on his name or by where they’re lining up.

OK Man. I like it and you don't. Cool.

FWIW, I could care less about what numbers players for the other 31 teams wear. I'm also not a QB who needs to identify a Mike from a safety.
Don't worry about it man, they were killing me in the Taysom Hill thread for having a differing opinion.

• 1Like
Reactions: MV2

Yes because in college, probably 99% of the players are nameless/faceless individuals that aren’t going to the next level and we just view them as being a part of a team.

Even the most avid college football fan doesn’t know every team’s roster. It’s a different sport, with much larger rosters, and a lot less attention that the NFL.

The NFL has smaller rosters, and it’s the Big Show, professional. For at least 40 years, this is how things were done, but sure, yeah, everyone that hates this, including prominent players and coaches, is silly because “MV2” says it doesn’t matter, and in effect, never mattered.

FWIW, I could care less about what numbers players for the other 31 teams wear.

And as I alluded to earlier, this is why there is an impasse, as I suspected based on your initial argument. You only care about the Saints. We are not the same type of fan.

Not saying either of us has more or less knowledge of the game; just saying that we watch NFL football from different perspectives.

Only the pro league enforced a numbering system for each position. It’s only been that way for about the last 5 decades in the pros. Pros originally wore any number at any position like HS and college so it’s actually returning to the traditional way.

I agree we’re kind of relying on the old temporary numbering system to identify a position, instead of knowing the player based on his name or where they’re lining up.

Yeah, people do just fine on Friday and Saturday nights sometimes even without names as well. All of sudden on Sundays Im supposed to believe it becomes confusing.

This is about liking a certain look, which is totally fine! But it doesn't make a game any harder to follow casually, strategically or any way in between. "But there were rules!" Those rules are now gone for a reason.

Figured there would be some changes, thanks for sharing. I knew 21 would get snatched up, it's a coveted number. Glad Jake got a better number, 14 is so goofy looking.

Wouldn't get too bent out of shape over Bowden taking 5, I can't imagine he will be here long term but you never know.
Hated the number 14. Could not think of any Saints players in the past that wore 14 that were memorable.

Don't worry about it man, they were killing me in the Taysom Hill thread for having a differing opinion.

[Goes to check the Taysom Hill thread]

Oof! You should be getting killed in this thread too for that opinion. Can we do that? Can we hammer Meily here too for a bad Taysom opinion? Jk

Yeah, people do just fine on Friday and Saturday nights sometimes even without names as well. All of sudden on Sundays Im supposed to believe it becomes confusing.

This is about liking a certain look, which is totally fine! But it doesn't make a game any harder to follow casually, strategically or any way in between. "But there were rules!" Those rules are now gone for a reason.

Fridays and Saturday nights are games people watch in which they don’t know or care about 95% of the opponents they’re watching anyway, especially on Fridays. It’s just faceless bad guys playing against their son’s team, and outside of the one or two stars on that opponent’s team, not a single player will be given a thought while watching the game.

And that happens on Sundays too, but not for all of us. Sone of us do watch and observe the NFL game that closely, believe it or not, and like the idea of certain numbers being affiliated with certain positions.

And yes, there is also an aesthetic portion of this that some of us simply have come to know and prefer. The uniformity of the NFL’s numbers just flat-out looked professional to some of us.

Fridays and Saturday nights are games people watch in which they don’t know or care about 95% of the opponents they’re watching anyway, especially on Fridays. It’s just faceless bad guys playing against their son’s team.

And that happens on Sundays too, but not for all of us. Sone of us do watch and observe the NFL game that closely, believe it or not.

That's not true. You're just trying to justify your opinion. If you can call out MV for caring about only the Saints, it's fair to call you out for only caring about the NFL. It's still football. It's a counterpoint, you don't agree with. Don't do what you accused MV of doing.

I happen to follow college recruiting. People love that stuff too.

That's not true. You're just trying to justify your opinion. If you can call out MV for caring about only the Saints, it's fair to call you out for only caring about the NFL. It's still football. It's a counterpoint, you don't agree with. Don't do what you accused MV of doing.

Haha okay buddy.

Last I checked, I don’t have to “justify” anything about my opinion. Since it’s just that, my opinion.

My only offense was the tone used in his opinion, talking down to others and then strawmanning this to be about not knowing players are on one singular team, which come to find out, it’s all he cares about and hence why it was his argument and others like me couldn’t relate to it.

And no, “football is not football” when talking different levels. There are different levels of talent and different levels of fan interest, which I thought to most people is very obvious, but maybe not.

I find it funny how some people here are allowed to talk down to others, trying to make it seem like we don’t know our own team simply because we want the league numbering rules to go back to their traditional roots, but when someone dishes anything back at them, even as benign as the VERIFIED fact that he only cares about one team, then THEY'RE the problem and need to be put in their place. Come on man.

I happen to follow college recruiting. People love that stuff too.

You added this part later, but to this I’ll say that this potentially further highlights my point above.

With college recruiting, are you watching EVERYONE, or are you just watching certain players and everyone else is just background? Be honest.

These are different games we are watching, different environments, different rooting interest levels, and different levels of care for what’s happening with each individual on the field (at least for some). “Football isn’t just football,” the way you say it.

We have different experiences when it comes to the game, and that’s fine, but no need for anyone to be talking down to anyone because of it.

The fact that even Tom Brady freaked out about it speaks for itself. This isn’t some meritless discussion.

Haha okay buddy.

Last I checked, I don’t have to “justify” anything about my opinion. Since it’s just that, my opinion.

My only offense was the tone used in his opinion, talking down to others and then strawmanning this to be about not knowing players are on one singular team, which come to find out, it’s all he cares about and hence why it was his argument and others like me couldn’t relate to it.

And no, “football is not football” when talking different levels. There are different levels of talent and different levels of fan interest, which I thought to most people is very obvious, but maybe not.

I find it funny how some people here are allowed to talk down to others, trying to make it seem like we don’t know our own team simply because we want the league numbering rules to go back to their traditional roots, but when someone dishes anything back at them, even as benign as the VERIFIED fact that he only cares about one team, then THEY'RE the problem and need to be put in their place. Come on man.

When you said "95% of people don't care" about the other team in high school football, you were doing the exact same thing you accused MV2 of.

I find it funny that you can dish it out, but when you're shown to be doing the exact same thing, it's a problem.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom