Saints land Rob Ryan- Mike D's column (1 Viewer)

I'm failing to see the point in the constant criticism of Ryan being in the same mold as GW in the sense that he's aggressive, bombastic, risk-taking, bla bla bla.

So what if he is? Isn't that when we had the most success? (as stated in the article).

It wasn't GW's aggressiveness that caused his relationship with Coach to suffer. It was his undermining of Coach and his refusal to be a team player, from what I understand.

So if we get an aggressive and creative coach like GW when we won XLIV, who also will be a team player on the staff, then what more could you ask for?

I'm failing to see the point in the constant criticism of Ryan being in the same mold as GW in the sense that he's aggressive, bombastic, risk-taking, bla bla bla.

So what if he is? Isn't that when we had the most success? (as stated in the article).

It wasn't GW's aggressiveness that caused his relationship with Coach to suffer. It was his undermining of Coach and his refusal to be a team player, from what I understand.

So if we get an aggressive and creative coach like GW when we won XLIV, who also will be a team player on the staff, then what more could you ask for?

Agreed. We've seen the results of the opposite.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

I could care less about this man's personality. If this defense is 15-19 ranked we win the Super Bowl.

I could care less about this man's personality. If this defense is 15-19 ranked we win the Super Bowl.

We at least have a shot. The team that gets on a roll at the end will win it. It will be great to see a little passion on the sidelines.

Basically illustrates my problem with Ryan right from the beginning of the article: too much like Greg Williams. Loud, egotistical, same coaching tree, etc.

But SP has his reasons and maybe they are truly looking to replicate 2009, when the GW hire really paid off. So I'm on board... but personally, this wouldn't have been my choice, especially after reading Joe Vitt's transcript and seeing how much discord GW caused with his personality.

The move makes a lot of sense in some specific ways.

The direction the defense was moving under Greg Williams is in line with where Ryan wants to go. Long term deals for guys like Roman Harper and draft selections like Cam Jordan were made again with Williams defense in mind and, therefore, matchup reasonably well with what Ryan will want to do. And so, therefore, to a great extent Ryan represents the optimal use if available on-roster talent. Given the paucity of draft picks and cap space, this was perhaps the best idea.

However we fired Williams. Even before bounty gate. And the word was that even without bounty gate he was gone due to the direction of the defense. This is basically a reversal of course, and begs the question, why?

Best I can figure, sheer impatience. Payton must have decided that not only was Spags not the guy to revamp the defense (which most would agree with) but that a new direction would take too long anyways (which is a surprise). This smacks of "win now" and not long-term thinking.

Not sure that RR has ever been labeled as a negative personality within his own teams. Sure his game day persona is all brovado but he coaches an attacking style. By most accts the players absolutely loved RR in Dallas! He was able to field productive defenses in Oakland and Cleveland, nuff said.

This smacks of "win now" and not long-term thinking.

Brees is 34, Payton and Brees are joined at the hip and their careers (at least in NO) will likely end at the same time. All of the deals are about optimizing the window. It *is* "win now" thinking.

As long as Ryan's defense is good enough to stop the Marshawn Lynches and Vernon Davis' in this league when it's time to ice the big game, I'm all in. I just want results.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom