Saints LBs Curtis Lofton, Jon Vilma working well together on the inside (1 Viewer)

Dan in Lafayette

Staff member
Administrator
Diamond VIP Contributor
Reaction score
12912937-mmmain.jpg

New Orleans Saints linebacker Jonathan Vilma (51) stretches out during an OTA (organized team activity) at the New Orleans Saints practice facility in Metairie on Tuesday, June 11, 2013.

By Nakia Hogan, NOLA.com | The Times-Picayune

With all the rage about the New Orleans Saints' outside linebackers and the ballyhooed "Jack" position, the two guys manning the inside linebacker positions have almost been an afterthought.

Curtis Lofton and Jonathan Vilma have quietly made a smooth transition to new defensive coordinator Rob Ryan's 3-4 scheme.

Saints coach Sean Payton said although both players have primarily been 4-3 middle linebackers, they both have been quick studies in the new defense.

Vilma, who had been the Saints' starting middle linebacker for his first four seasons in New Orleans before a knee injury and Lofton's acquisition last season forced him to move to weakside outside linebacker, is playing the weakside inside position. Vilma also has been calling the plays and making most of the defensive checks.

Meanwhile, Lofton is serving as the Mike linebacker.

More - TP

Great read Im glad to hear vilma is doing great in the 3-4 considering he was said to be bad in 3-4 D's

Vilma is supposedly not good in the 3-4 because he's not known for jamming guards and lead blocks, but he can slip blocks pretty good. I think, for this reason, Vilma should play right on the weakside butt cheek of the NT, instead of a few yards back.

Last edited:
I don't know what has happened, but NOLA.com has really stepped up its Saints coverage this off-season. Their reads lately remind me of the stuff I used to read back in the 90s/early 00s. They're clearly making an effort to step up and they're doing a great job at it.

Vilma not being good in a 3-4 is a myth. He's just not as good in it as he is in a 4-3.

Not to mention the fact that this one-gap version of the 3-4 better suits him. At New York, they played a two-gap scheme, which had him constantly lining up over an uncovered guard; that won't be the case here.

Saintaholic said:
Quote:

Originally Posted by Scorpius

Vilma not being good in a 3-4 is a myth. He's just not as good in it as he is in a 4-3.

Not to mention the fact that this one-gap version of the 3-4 better suits him. At New York, they played a two-gap scheme, which had him constantly lining up over an uncovered guard; that won't be the case here.

Also the NT (Dewaune Robertson) he had in front of him had the knees of a 70 year old.

Posted from Saintsreport.com App for Android

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom