Saints life after Brees (1 Viewer)

peytons decline clearly occurred on the second half of 2014. He still put up great overall stats because the first half of that season was great. But it’s not incredibly relevant to Brees at this point. Even great QBs are allowed to have a clunker now and again (especially when the rest of their team is play awful). Brees’s endis coming soon but I base that on historical trends more than Brees’s play this season.

Sammy - Wasn't Peyton recovering from the severe neck injury? I thought he went off to Europe for stem cell treatment. My memory tells me that injury was re-hurt near the end of the season and he lost all strength in his throwing shoulder and arm. Is that close or was I spending too much time in Colorado? Thx

I blame it more on the lack of weapons. Outside of MT we don't heave much on the receiving end

Sammy - Wasn't Peyton recovering from the severe neck injury? I thought he went off to Europe for stem cell treatment. My memory tells me that injury was re-hurt near the end of the season and he lost all strength in his throwing shoulder and arm. Is that close or was I spending too much time in Colorado? Thx

He had neck surgery in 2011 (age 35). He played for the Broncos in 2012 and had a solid season (age 36). His record breaking season was 2013 (age 37). He played well the first half of 2014 but had very little arm strength the second half of the season and the Broncos won the Super Bowl on the backs of an elite defense (age 38). His poor play carried over into 2015 and it was his last season (age 39).

Based on all of the NFL scandals, how much of a hypocrite Goodell and the NFL are, the endings to the last several seasons (including the missed call)...I might find other things to do with my Sundays once Brees is retired. I still love the Saints and I don't watch any other NFL action anymore. But when he got hurt I got a little taste of just how little I am starting to care.

I don't need an article to see when Peyton Manning hit the wall going into the 2015 season. EVERY quarterback hits the wall. The problem with the 2015 Broncos is their coaches did nothing to disguise, compensate, or cover up his rapidly eroding skills. They were on full display. Luckily for them they had Osweiler who had been groomed for 2-3 seasons to run the offense and he got them to the SB. Then Elway made the business decision to start Peyton on the new defense-oriented team, rather than let Osweiler get that SB ring and be forced to fork over the NFL's richest contract to Brock, so Peyton played an extremely limited game and the defense and RB's won his 2nd SB (basically how he won the 1st one too).

As for Drew, this isn't just one game gents, Drew has not been able to throw the ball beyond 20 yards with any kind of accuracy since late last season. Yes he can have games over 300 yards against the weakest secondary in the NFL ... 10 yards at a time. Payton is not going to expose Drew, he's going to protect him in his playcalling, but Payton knows all. Drew's stellar downfield passing was all but absent in the playoffs and in the 3-4 games he's played in 2019. He should absolutely finish this season no matter what, but the repeated talk in this Forum about Drew playing 2-4 more seasons is mind boggling. The man is two months from 41 years old. He already hit the wall. His mobility is nil and his downfield passing game is fading fast. Great career and all-time QB, but we need to accept that this season could be his last, and appreciate it now, instead of thinking it will go on forever.

Ever since that Dallas games last year Brees has looked off. After that Dallas game Brees was average or clearly not himself for the remainder of the season. Our Defense won us a lot of those games afterwards. How many games has he actually been his usual self since then? Not many. His decision making at times since has been terrible. Anyone remember the tampa away game last season? One of the worst games I’ve ever seen him play.

Yes he might have had a game like the Arizona game a few weeks ago where he was fine, but think about it. I’d say he’s had more average games since Dallas last year than good. Yes he has only played 3 games this season. The first game against Houston he made some good throws late on which were admirable but don’t let that take away from his play before that. It was hardly great and that boneheaded interception in the end zone to their Linebacker was embarrassing. He’s still capable of having a good game, nobody is debating. But he seems too have lost that killer instinct that was so feared. There is no doubt he has declined, arm power, decision making etc. It’s the reality. Don’t get me wrong our WR core sucks hence why he needs all the help he can get, but I can’t help but think the playbook is actually limited at the moment because coach knows that any pass beyond 20 yards is a gamble. He’s becoming a dink and dunk QB with no mobility. We need too be a run heavy first team. I find it ludicrous that we passed the ball 45 times against Atlanta. That just ain’t the saints anymore. Run first and situational defense. Brees needs too be more of a game managing QB now because if we try to be some sort of west coast pass heavy offense, we will lose.

Last edited:
I think we saw the blueprint when Teddy was in there: lean on the defense and manage the game on offense with a lot of running. The good thing is SP does have an eye for QBs, so I think we will be okay. We probably will not find a QB on Drew's level but such is life.

Last edited:
No one has to shoot it down. It's an inaccurate representation of a fallacious argument.

The infamous non-call play, WOULD'VE been an interception if the corner had been watching the ball instead of trying to murder Tommy Lee Lewis like a moron. That would've been an INT and possibly pick six with all that room to run.

That's not even close to being correct. TLL had the angle and the spacing and was the only person with any shot at the ball. Nickell Robey-Coleman literally had no play on the ball, and admitted as much. The whole excerpt is just not a valid observance on any level.
Robby-Coleman even admitted that it wasn’t his man or his zone. He saw TLL wide open and intentionally flattened him to prevent a TD. There was absolutely no chance of an interception.

Stupid huh? Did Drew lose the game Sunday? No.

Does he suck? No.

But can he go downfield? No.

Can he throw the deep out? No.

Can he escape the rush? No.

Is he a QB that puts fear in the heart of defenses consistently? Hell No.

With all that being said, I believe you can still win big with Drew if you ask him to manage the game, run the ball and play defense. Sean Payton and over half of this board doesn't agree with me but and think he's still a top 5 QB in this league. Let's see what happens when he throws it 40 plus times per game with only ten rushing attempts.

That's barely good enough to get us a first round playoff exit IMO.

I’m looking long term. I hope Brees has about 4-5 years in the tank. Then Taysom comes in and gives us 1 great year then moves on to get a really big paycheck. Here’s where I need help with my math. Should we have to suck for 1 or 2 years to draft Arch Manning?

lol

Football is a young man's game...with that being said...Drew has some football left in him....

let's hope Drew can get 1 more ring and ride off into the sunset...

BECAUSE THEN IT'S TAYSOM TIME!!!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom