"Saints live rent free in the Falcons' bird brain" (1 Viewer)

LOL...sorry guys. Most of the lame jokes in that thread are mine. Is my man Iron Saint on here?
No need to be sorry for us, we have a Lombardi and the ring that goes with it. We'll probably get another one, soon.
By the way are you "Falconsin2012"?

Is my man Iron Saint on here?

49887i7C83242D8B188A2B

:hihi:

Nola, not to take the Falcons side, but for 5 seasons, they did have one of the most electrifying, legendary QB's in the past 20 years in Michael Vick. We all sort of know how that sort of imploded. Disastrously, I might add.

Honestly, probably the only real highlight in Atlanta Falcons franchise history, a moment or game where they surprised 99.9% of the NFL (and sports world) was beating heavily-favored Minnesota Vikings Colossus in 1998 NFCCG. Most experts, rational, intelligent fans had the Vikings winning that game easily by 2-3 TD's. Would they have given Elway's Broncos a tougher, more competitive matchup? Perhaps, but I find it hard to see Dennis Green out-coaching Mike Shanahan even with that powerful offense?

Regardless, he 1998 Falcons REALLY shocked most NFL insiders traveling to Minnesota and beating the Vikes in their own stadium. Minnesota may have given them a few extra chances with their mistakes during the game, but you have to take advantage of those mistakes in those high-pressure games to make them sting. Some NFL teams haven't done it when they were in those situations and other NFL teams and past HC's were incapable of doing it. Like Marty Schottenheimer in Cleveland and later Kansas City.
Taking off my Saints hat and taking the chance some on SR will label me a heretic for saying it, but I think that's most memorable franchise moment in Falcons history, at least in terms of being positive. Sure, some might mention the 2016 team winning the NFCCG, but that was a team playing with a lot of momentum, they were favored to win vs.over-achieving Packers team that was injured, beat up, and whose secondary couldn't contend with Atlanta's high-powered offense. PLUS, they had an extrodinary sense of home field advantage: that was the last NFL game ever played in the old Georgia Dome. My brother lives in Atlanta and he told me recently that the atmosphere in town the week leading up to the game and among the Falcons players was like a fever pitch on steroids.

Nola, not to take the Falcons side, but for 5 seasons, they did have one of the most electrifying, legendary QB's in the past 20 years in Michael Vick. We all sort of know how that sort of imploded. Disastrously, I might add.

Honestly, probably the only real highlight in Atlanta Falcons franchise history, a moment or game where they surprised 99.9% of the NFL (and sports world) was beating heavily-favored Minnesota Vikings Colossus in 1998 NFCCG. Most experts, rational, intelligent fans had the Vikings winning that game easily by 2-3 TD's. Would they have given Elway's Broncos a tougher, more competitive matchup? Perhaps, but I find it hard to see Dennis Green out-coaching Mike Shanahan even with that powerful offense?

Regardless, he 1998 Falcons REALLY shocked most NFL insiders traveling to Minnesota and beating the Vikes in their own stadium. Minnesota may have given them a few extra chances with their mistakes during the game, but you have to take advantage of those mistakes in those high-pressure games to make them sting. Some NFL teams haven't done it when they were in those situations and other NFL teams and past HC's were incapable of doing it. Like Marty Schottenheimer in Cleveland and later Kansas City.
Taking off my Saints hat and taking the chance some on SR will label me a heretic for saying it, but I think that's most memorable franchise moment in Falcons history, at least in terms of being positive. Sure, some might mention the 2016 team winning the NFCCG, but that was a team playing with a lot of momentum, they were favored to win vs.over-achieving Packers team that was injured, beat up, and whose secondary couldn't contend with Atlanta's high-powered offense. PLUS, they had an extrodinary sense of home field advantage: that was the last NFL game ever played in the old Georgia Dome. My brother lives in Atlanta and he told me recently that the atmosphere in town the week leading up to the game and among the Falcons players was like a fever pitch on steroids.
Are you for real?
The only thing that matters in the NFL is a Super Bowl trophy.
Nobody cares about or will remember anything else.
Based on the standard of Super Bowl wins, the Atlanta Falcons are one of the
few teams to never win it all. And they've been in existence for over 50 years.
Next to the 28-3 debacle, that makes them one of the most inept franchises in the history of the NFL.
And Michael Vick is legendary? That's a bit of a stretch, don't you think?

Last edited:

The 98 Falcons may be remembered fondly locally, but nationally, the Falcons are thought of as losers because of 28-3.

The Minnesota Vikings haven't won a Super Bowl, either, Nola and they've been 2 more times in their franchise's history then Atlanta has. That standard in terms of defining success for NFL teams in terms of wins or losses in SB doesn't mean, as objective fans taking our Saints fans off for a moment, the Vikings are also a sheetty, unmemorable NFL history. They have HOF HC's, GM's like Jim Finks, HOF WRs, HOF OL, it dwarfs anything remotely comparable Atlanta could ever point to. The Vikings have been in existence for almost a decade longer than Atlanta, too. Some NFL fans, including me sometimes, consider making the postseason one of the benchmarks of a successful season, how many times in their near 60-year history have the Vikings made the playoffs, won their division, made it to the NFCCG, you see where I'm going? Even though the new Browns have sucked mostly for the past 2 decades, there was a period from maybe the late 70's-early 90's, they were one of the successful, most competitive NFL teams with one of the intimidating home field advantages in the league, original Dawg Pound.

Well, if you consider from 2002, his first season as a starting QB until 2006, Vick was one of the most exciting, unpredictable players of that era. Some NFL observers described his skils as "Barry Sanders as a QB". He wasn't a very accurate passer and that hurt his develo plant in the long run but if you consider his impact on how NFL defenses had to adopt new ways, new schemes to stop fast, duel-threat QB of his caliber, then yes Vick might be considered a bit of a legend. At least somewhat of a trend-setter, he wasn't the first successful duel threat QB or scrambling QB, you had Fran Tarkenton, Staubach, Randall Cunningham, and Steve Young. What Vick did that was different was how he made his speed as much of an unknown variable in terms of how offenses move the ball down the field. Vick was just as capable of running for a 60-yard TD run out of pocket as he was throwing an 75-yd bomb to one of his WR's for a TD, standing in the pocket.

Look, I don't like the Falcons either and I hated Vick as much as if not more so 15 years ago but as a rational, observant sports fan, there was a 5-year stretch where he was one of the most electrifying, hard to defend, and most dangerous QB's or players of his generation. If that makes him a bit of a legend, I love to see you define that as stretching the truth. You must had a very different take after watching games Vick played in back then. He could also single-handedly make or break a game, at his very best.

Jack, I never alluded anything to the contrary, I'm just saying, taking off my Saints hat, the only memorable moment of their franchise's history that might be perceived as positive, whether locally or nationally, was going in to Minnesota in January 1999 as 2-TD underdogs to a offensive powerhouse that broke the NFL'S all-time record for most points scored in a single season and managed to pull off the upset. Most fans, including me at the time, insiders, observers, pundits said they had no chance and were already putting the Vikings in the Super Bowl. They thought they were unbeatable in the same way St. louis GSOT was invincible and unbeatable a couple seasons later vs. New England here in New Orleans before Super Bowl XXXVI. Both times the experts and most NFL fans were proven wrong.

Now, yeah 28-3 is all on them and thank God as Saints fans we can all rejoice in their continued misery whenever it's brought up or inevitably when they think about it. Which is a problem I'm glad to say, as a Saints fan, we'll never have to face. It's bad enough we have to think about the official Screwjob we received in the NFC Championship vs. Rams about 4 months ago. One Raiders fan told me that BS ref no-call reminded him of the infamous Tuck Rule call vs. Patriots back in 2001 in Foxboro that arguably screwed Oakland out of a possible SB run and sent Gruden packing to Tampa Bay about a month later.

Jack, believe it or not, that was part of my point to Nola when he seemed to suggest that a franchise's inability to win Super Bowls over a long history was a reason it should be seen as almost inferior or lesser. He mentioned Atlanta as being one of the few NFL teams to never win a Super Bowl as somehow as why their losers and I used the Vikings analogy as a reason not to overuse those kind of generalizations.

The one life lesson that got confirmed for me in 2009: when you get to the Super Bowl, you have to win. Just getting there is never good enough.
Totally agree. I have an awesome shirt in black and gold that says, "First Time In, First Time Win," With a big fleur de lis beneath the words. It's my favorite piece of championship gear.

Did you ever crush on a girl with a stunning body, killer smile yet a personality of shyte? Can’t help who you love. Falcons are my team. UGA is my college crush & I attended the University of Alabama.

I’ll accept my ban card as I exit left. All facts though

Is it hard to believe, inside, that's it been almost 10 years since that legendary, hallowed season occurred?

The Minnesota Vikings haven't won a Super Bowl, either, Nola and they've been 2 more times in their franchise's history then Atlanta has. That standard in terms of defining success for NFL teams in terms of wins or losses in SB doesn't mean, as objective fans taking our Saints fans off for a moment, the Vikings are also a shirtty, unmemorable NFL history. They have HOF HC's, GM's like Jim Finks, HOF WRs, HOF OL, it dwarfs anything remotely comparable Atlanta could ever point to. The Vikings have been in existence for almost a decade longer than Atlanta, too. Some NFL fans, including me sometimes, consider making the postseason one of the benchmarks of a successful season, how many times in their near 60-year history have the Vikings made the playoffs, won their division, made it to the NFCCG, you see where I'm going? Even though the new Browns have sucked mostly for the past 2 decades, there was a period from maybe the late 70's-early 90's, they were one of the successful, most competitive NFL teams with one of the intimidating home field advantages in the league, original Dawg Pound.

Well, if you consider from 2002, his first season as a starting QB until 2006, Vick was one of the most exciting, unpredictable players of that era. Some NFL observers described his skils as "Barry Sanders as a QB". He wasn't a very accurate passer and that hurt his develo plant in the long run but if you consider his impact on how NFL defenses had to adopt new ways, new schemes to stop fast, duel-threat QB of his caliber, then yes Vick might be considered a bit of a legend. At least somewhat of a trend-setter, he wasn't the first successful duel threat QB or scrambling QB, you had Fran Tarkenton, Staubach, Randall Cunningham, and Steve Young. What Vick did that was different was how he made his speed as much of an unknown variable in terms of how offenses move the ball down the field. Vick was just as capable of running for a 60-yard TD run out of pocket as he was throwing an 75-yd bomb to one of his WR's for a TD, standing in the pocket.

Look, I don't like the Falcons either and I hated Vick as much as if not more so 15 years ago but as a rational, observant sports fan, there was a 5-year stretch where he was one of the most electrifying, hard to defend, and most dangerous QB's or players of his generation. If that makes him a bit of a legend, I love to see you define that as stretching the truth. You must had a very different take after watching games Vick played in back then. He could also single-handedly make or break a game, at his very best.
What you don't seem to get is that , once again, the only thing that matters in the NFL is winning the Super Bowl.
Falcon fans are notorious for pumping out stats: as if that means something.
Nobody cares about stats. Nobody cares that the Falcons beat the Minnesota Vikings in 1998. The only measure of succes in the NFL is: did you win it all?
And if the Vikings are equally as inept as a franchise as the Falcons, then, so be it! I don't think you'll find many Saints fans around here impressed with either franchise.
As far as Michael Vick, I remember the Saints always had a very good game plan to contain his abilities. I can't recall one game where he just absolutely destroyed us. In fact, I remember thinking that he wasn't as great as many hyped him up to be. Personally, I thought Randal Cunnigham was a way tougher opposing QB than Michael Vick ever was. And Randal wasn't nearly as fast as Michael Vick. Also, Randal was probably one of the first "dual threat" quarter backs ever. On that same token, how about Steve Young? I would think those two QBs should be considered innovators way before M. Vick.
Secondly, Vick abused dogs. He shouldn't be considered "legendary " anyrhing.
The name Pete Rose has been stricken from the history books for a lesser offense!

So yes, I do believe crowning Vick as legendary is a stretch..

Last edited:
What you don't seem to get is that , once again, the only thing that matters in the NFL is winning the Super Bowl.
Falcon fans are notorious for pumping out stats: as if that means something.
Nobody cares about stats. Nobody cares that the Falcons beat the Minnesota Vikings in 1998. The only measure of succes in the NFL is: did you win it all?
And if the Vikings are equally as inept as a franchise as the Falcons, then, so be it! I don't think you'll find many Saints fans around here impressed with either franchise.
As far as Michael Vick, I remember the Saints always had a very good game plan to contain his abilities. I can't recall one game where he just absolutely destroyed us. In fact, I remember thinking that he wasn't as great as many hyped him up to be. Personally, I thought Randal Cunnigham was a way tougher opposing QB than Michael Vick ever was. And Randal wasn't nearly as fast as Michael Vick. Also, Randal was probably one of the first "dual threat" quarter backs ever.
So yes, I do believe crowning Vick as legendary is a stretch..

Simmer down. He was just being polite and engaging in conversation

On TATF, a good friend of mine also has 1970 in his username and he too is ornery. Must be something about the year 1970.

But he is also uncommonly knowledgable and uniquely funny. Hopefully the same can be sad about you but it’s not looking too promising atm.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom