Saints Look Like a Contender Hiding in Plain Sight -The Ringer article (1 Viewer)

I know that we played lights out in that game and this team is as good as, if not better, than last years team that should have gone deeper in the playoffs than we did, BUT, that GB team was not the same GB team that went all the way to the NFCCG last year. If it was, they would have given a better showing. We would have still beat them, but they looked horrible. I don't know if it was an abberation on their part, or if this is what they are this year. We'll find out by mid-season.

Not a lot of new information, but good press is good press.

Very good article. Yes, it is some of the same stuff printed elsewhere, but well stated and quite comprehensive.

These kinds of articles ebb & flow all season long. The hot team each week gets the headlines.
Trust me, if the Saints were to lay an egg in Charlotte on Sunday, we would be back on their 'Pretenders List' in Week 3.

I know that we played lights out in that game and this team is as good as, if not better, than last years team that should have gone deeper in the playoffs than we did, BUT, that GB team was not the same GB team that went all the way to the NFCCG last year. If it was, they would have given a better showing. We would have still beat them, but they looked horrible. I don't know if it was an abberation on their part, or if this is what they are this year. We'll find out by mid-season.
All I hear for the packers is excuses give us our props

All I hear for the packers is excuses give us our props
I believe I did, if you read my post...."We would have still beat them,". No one here, on this board, or in the media, thought that they would come out and lay an egg.

Still irritates the crud out of me to see words like "overshadowed" used to describe the offseason. We were better than the Bucs last season all the way up to the moment Cook fumbled. NFL changed the rules on the number of teams who get a bye, too, we must remember. Under the old rules, we'd have gotten one. The GODdell era has been one of constantly moving the goalposts, figuratively.

I think it’s pretty clear that the Packers aren’t as bad as they looked and the Saints aren’t as good as they looked. If the Packers would’ve came better prepared, then the game would’ve been a close one, but we still would’ve had a chance to win. That’s a promising sign in itself.

I’m not overreacting to the dominant performance, but I believe this team is better than I thought they’d be before playing week one. Which IMO is a playoff team as long as they stay healthy.

I think it’s pretty clear that the Packers aren’t as bad as they looked and the Saints aren’t as good as they looked. If the Packers would’ve came better prepared, then the game would’ve been a close one, but we still would’ve had a chance to win. That’s a promising sign in itself.

I’m not overreacting to the dominant performance, but I believe this team is better than I thought they’d be before playing week one. Which IMO is a playoff team as long as they stay healthy.
To me it was all about the D - would they come out and play lights out!

And they did!

As long as the D keeps playing "like they should" (esp if Kwon stays healthy), this team can beat any other team - esp Tampa Bay!

Geaux Saints - Keep Kicking Championship Butt

They really referenced Pete Werner's absence in practice as a cause of concern. Obviously we want him to play, but it's not like he is being counted on to contribute in any way.

It's so obvious in national coverage of the Saints that writers and commentators just look at the box score and don't watch the games.

For the past 4 years, we have been a playoff team and division winner. Assuming the QB position is stable at the minimum, we are still a contender. Us falling off just because Drew retired was always a flawed position.

For the past 4 years, we have been a playoff team and division winner. Assuming the QB position is stable at the minimum, we are still a contender. Us falling off just because Drew retired was always a flawed position.
I was more worried about the second corner spot and the interior DL losses than Brees retiring. The Saints proved they could win without Brees during the regular season with a big sample size. The organization has filled those holes unbelievably, but I have to see it for a few more games to make sure the holes are filled lol.

I can’t blame anyone for being hesitant. When you have a HOFer leave at the most important position in sports, the natural reaction is to think it’s the end or at least a lowering of expectations.

To me it was all about the D - would they come out and play lights out!

And they did!

As long as the D keeps playing "like they should" (esp if Kwon stays healthy), this team can beat any other team - esp Tampa Bay!

Geaux Saints - Keep Kicking Championship Butt

This. Sometimes you have these fluky NFL games where everything goes your way. You get every bounce and never lose momentum. Yeah that game could've been a mirage but with the way the defense played, I don't know. It was a straight up no fly zone. Rodgers didn't have anywhere to throw the football. You can't luck into having coverage like that.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom